Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fish and sound. I Witness this at the Fish Bowl at Homosassa

You probably been watching the Homosassa Spring  under water cam by now.  I want to share something that I witness a couple of years back while visiting the Fish Bowl.  I was watching and photographing a large school of Snook when a helicopter flew over.  In seconds the Snook was gone in a flash.  Hundred of them gone, nothing left but a couple Mango Snapper.  The sound of the helicopter scared them away even the ones that were 10 feet underwater.  Amazing how quick they were gone.  It took 10 minutes before most of them returned.
So think about that the next time your buddy is banging his tackle box in the boat, throwing a anchor over instead of dropping it slowly, running your motor over a area you are planning to drift over and other needless noise   Fish hear sound and react to it.  I been with people that will pole the boat quietly  the last 100 yards to a point, or up a creek to fish.  You know what, we caught nice fish.  Normally on the first cast because he didn't scare them away with noise and running the motor on top of the fish.
When I was young my dad wouldn't allow me to talk when fishing  Talking scare away the fish according to older fisherman, but  it been proven that it doesn't.  Because of him and other older fisherman I went with when I was young  I made up a fishing joke, stolen from another old joke but change to make it a fishing joke.  Fishing Fact magazine publish it in one of their issue.

Little Billy wanted to go fishing with his dad.
                                          "You can go but you have to be quiet.    I will
                                           allow you to say three words every two hours.
                                               Little Billy was true to his word and didn't 
                                             talk for the first two hours.
                                                "Okay, son, you can tell me your three 
                                              words now."
                                               "Fishing is boring" he said
                                               Another two hours passed,  Dad, I,m hot"
                                               Another two hours passed, "I hate fishing."
                                               Another two hours passed, "Take me home."
                                               "Fine I take you home'   All you've done all day is complain.

Replies

• plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 307 Deckhand
    I love when my wife, children or granddaughters want to fish with me but man they keep me on the edge with stuff like that. Letting the hatches go on a boat, dropping cans of fill in the blank. 
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,761 Captain
    Good observation Moon.
    When taking noisy ones, I stick to deeper holes where fish aren't as noise sensitive. Fish near a busy inlet are also not as spooky. When my grandson was young, he would have as much fun playing with shrimp in the live well as catching fish. I gained a little patience taking my four younger brothers fishing. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 732 Officer
    I tell my wife not to talk when we are fishing. Not to keep from scaring off the fish I just don't want her talking when we're fishing. Am I okay? ;)
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,609 Captain
    They can only hear low-frequency sounds.  Human conversation can't be sensed by fish unless you have a voice like maybe Barry White.  ;)

Dropping anything on the floor of the boat creates frequencies low enough to be heard by most fish species.  So do airboats and most outboard engines. 

They hear through bones in their heads.  The lateral line allows them to detect pressure changes.  So a helicopter passing overhead would produce both low-frequency sound and pressure change waves.  A trolling motor prop blowing out on the surface also produces pressure waves that will chase most fish away. 
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    edited March 27 #6
    no offense intended.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    There goes my trolling from a helicopter plan ..  Back to the drawing board.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,936 Admiral
    If a helicopter spooked them I would hate to know what an air boat would do.
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,094 Captain
    An interesting observation and I have always tried to keep the noises to a minimum as I approach an area I intend to fish. On the other hand, the best days of red fishing I have ever had were on a friend's airboat and we have often hooked redfish within 60 seconds of turning off that big V-8 engine, which even at very low speeds creates a lot of noise and vibration.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    We used to run over a school of redfish in the airboat circle up wind and shut off the motor. Drift down and throw spoons. Worked good.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 256 Deckhand
    I fished tarpon at a spot in the back country of Flamingo years ago and I would idle my boat into it, shut the engine off and start using the trolling motor and normally within about 5  minutes the fish would act like normal. These tarpon were 50-100lb. and some a bit larger and they were in this spot several months per year. They weren't hammered multiple times each day like fish in the Keys during tarpon season. I had a guide who I'd never seen before start giving me crap about idling my outboard out of there one time and I politely ( as politely as I could) explained to him that I fished this place year round and had caught tarpon there every month of the year and that the fish were different than those in the Keys. He didn't like that very much but I honestly didn't really care if he liked it or not. The guide was staked out like in the Keys and he could easily wait an hour or two to get a shot at a tarpon by doing that. I didn't tell him that, though.