Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Annual Robert E. Lee Sausage Grinding

Replies

• MulletMullet Posts: 2,413 Moderator
    Didn't shoot a deer the last weekend. Just getting too picky(and lazy maybe). No sausage making for me.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,910 AG
    Mullet said:
    Didn't shoot a deer the last weekend. Just getting too picky(and lazy maybe). No sausage making for me.
    Buy a BB or 3 to make sausage out of Billy. That is if you want sausage....
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    I'll pass on the Gen. lee anal sausage grinding but ya'll do what you need to do.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 17,673 Moderator
    I'll pass on the Gen. lee anal sausage grinding but ya'll do what you need to do.

I doubt you'd fit in anyway.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

I doubt you'd fit in anyway.
    I actually think he would. He won't come though and the reason for the jibber jabber. Just has to get his mind out of the gutter and see it for what it is. A GREAT time by all with good friends and fellowship. Great food too. 

Come on up MDickerson :wink:
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,517 AG
    I've met him and had a beer around a fire with him, magot and a few others.

nice guy he is.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,875 Captain

Looks like total disrespect to Robert E. That's un-American dude.

Come on up and enjoy the food and fellowship.

Hoping to make it. Not sure yet. If I do I'll help, not making any sausage. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain

Which America, I am confused?
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,613 Admiral
    bicyclist said:

Nothing new
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • skywayskyway St. Pete FLPosts: 520 Officer
    edited January 2020 #42
    bicyclist said:

You would be.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited January 2020 #44
    bicyclist said:

You would be.

Is there a traitorous loser America still out there somewhere?
    Lord Garnet Wolseley writing of Robert E. Lee --

Who shall ever fathom the depth of Lee's anguish when the bitter end came, and when, beaten down by sheer force of numbers, and by absolutely nothing else, he found himself obliged to surrender! The handful of starving men remaining with him laid down their arms, and the proud Confederacy ceased to be. Surely the crushing, maddening anguish of awful sorrow is only known to the leader who has so failed to accomplish some lofty, some noble aim for which he has long striven with might and main, with heart and soul—in the interests of king or of country. A smiling face, a cheerful manner, may conceal the sore place from the eyes, possibly even from the knowledge of his friends; but there is no healing for such a wound, which eats into the very heart of him who has once received it.

General Lee survived the destruction of the Confederacy for five years, when, at the age of sixty-three, and surrounded by his family, life ebbed slowly from him. Where else in history is a great man to be found whose whole life was one such blameless record of duty nobly done? It was consistent in all its parts, complete in all its relations. The most perfect gentleman of a State long celebrated for its chivalry, he was just, gentle, and generous, and child-like in the simplicity of his character. Never elated with success, he bore reverse, and at last, complete overthrow, with dignified resignation. Throughout this long and cruel struggle his was all the responsibility, but not the power that should have accompanied it.

The fierce light which beats upon the throne is as that of a rushlight in comparison with the electric glare which our newspapers now focus upon the public man in Lee's position. His character has been subjected to that ordeal, and who can point to any spot upon it? His clear, sound judgment, personal courage, untiring activity, genius for war, and absolute devotion to his State mark him out as a public man, as a patriot to be for ever remembered by all Americans. His amiability of disposition, deep sympathy with those in pain or sorrow, his love for children, nice sense of personal honour and genial courtesy endeared him to all his friends. I shall never forget his sweet winning smile, nor his clear, honest eyes that seemed to look into your heart whilst they searched your brain. I have met many of the great men of my time, but Lee alone impressed me with the feeling that I was in the presence of a man who was cast in a grander mould, and made of different and of finer metal than all other men. He is stamped upon my memory as a being apart and superior to all others in every way: a man with whom none I ever knew, and very few of whom I have read, are worthy to be classed. I have met but two men who realize my ideas of what a true hero should be: my friend Charles Gordon was one, General Lee was the other.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG

Hey, I didn't name the thing!
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    micci_man said:
    Hoping to make it. Not sure yet. If I do I'll help, not making any sausage. 
    I'm sure Mike can hide the knives!     Hehe, 
    I have 9 more digits to use  B)
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,392 Admiral

As a descendant of two recent (1905 & 1911) immigrant families I do not have a "dog in the fight" BUT from all I have read about Robert E. Lee he was a great American and an American hero that deeply loved his country. However his country became divided and he rather reluctantly decided to fight in a war he did not want on the side of his native Virginia. His father fought for our independence alongside George Washington family is related to George Washington. Those were different times - there were different norms. If the issue is slavery then people better into history books. Slavery was not unique to America. It was a world wide practice for centuries. Even indigenous African people held other African people as slaves in Africa. Slavery still exists today.

Robert E. Lee and his family deserve the respect of all Americans. If not for them and people like them  we would still be a colony.

Every time I read of states taking down there Southern monuments it gives me a sick feeling. They are destroying history. Its not right.

And by the way this Sausage Grinding event seems like one heck of a good time.

Just my 2 cents.

As a descendant of two recent (1905 & 1911) immigrant families I do not have a "dog in the fight" BUT from all I have read about Robert E. Lee he was a great American and an American hero that deeply loved his country. However his country became divided and he rather reluctantly decided to fight in a war he did not want on the side of his native Virginia. His father fought for our independence alongside George Washington. HIS family is related to George Washington. Those were different times - there were different norms. If the issue is slavery then people better into history books. Slavery was not unique to America. It was a world wide practice for centuries. Even indigenous African people held other African people as slaves in Africa. Slavery still exists today.

Robert E. Lee and his family deserve the respect of all Americans. If not for them and people like them  we would still be a colony.

Every time I read of states taking down there Southern monuments it gives me a sick feeling. They are destroying history. Its not right.

And by the way this Sausage Grinding event seems like one heck of a good time.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert E. Lee's father and uncle were signers of the Declaration of Independence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_United_States_who_owned_slaves

Now, do we blast the faces of Washington and Jefferson off of Mount Rushmore? Destroy every monument to them? To we take down every statue of all of these men? I think it is time to leave Southern history and memorials alone.

We wish you were here too Ken.
    You would enjoy it!

Well said Ken.

The event went well and all had fun. I will try to figure out how to post some pics once I get caught up here at work this morning.

I will say this was the smallest number of folks attending in all the years.

Generational shifts Mike. We're getting older and young folks don't do the community get together thing. They buy their sausage at Publix and socialize online.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Hated to miss it. 
    Me too micci. It's always been on my list but it seems like every year some other priority gets in the way.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Wanted to run up and visit, just had too much happening with Church and home on Sunday. It's always a good time.