Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

PT CHARLOTTE AREA INFO.......

Considering moving from Clearwater area to Pt Charlotte/Punta Gorda area. How far a run is it from that area into the gulf? Is it decent running for a 28' boat,any bridges?? Thanks in advance

Replies

• Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Look up Punta Gorda Isles... probably your best bet. 

Welcome to the forum!

GC
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 258 Deckhand
    A better way may be to google map it... you ask about distances to open water, as well as bridges, etc.  Both Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda are a ways from Boca Grande and the gulf... depending on other factors regarding lifestyle, restaurants, finances, etc... lots more to consider. But distance wise, both Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda are about 15-20 miles to Boca Grande, and then its another 20-30 miles to deeper water for big grouper/red snapper.

Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • tompgitompgi Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    If you're running from Punta Gorda or Ponce Boat Ramp (to the left of the C on Charlotte Park) you could be in the pass within 20 minutes if you're on a good run (45mph +). I'm not much of an offshore guy but I sometimes fish a spot 12miles offshore from Boca and that run can be achieved within 40/50 minutes from Punta Gorda.

There are a couple of bridges in PGI but they only really restrict sailboats, you should be fine with a 28' center console, presuming that's what you're running.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,186 Admiral
    Great place to fish, I love the area.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 66 Deckhand
    If you plan to mostly fish in the gulf, I personally would not live in Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda.

The 41 bridge to the gulf is about 25 miles, there is some shallow water to get around and Charlotte Harbor is a big body of water.

It will also take your guests about an 45 minute drive just to find a beach.