Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

River this afternoon. No great picture like cmhaire but.....

bswivbswiv Posts: 7,666 Admiral
.....as we are OLD and none of the fish were giants......no pictures.

It was WAY to rough for tossing the net in Drs Inlet so we fell back on Plan B, soaking some of the shrimp we caught earlier in the year. Had to run across to the east side so as to get out of the wind. Fished a number of docks in 3-4 foot of water with the tide going our. 

We both had to work in the morning so did not get the first bait into the water till about 1:30......and quit at 4;30 as......well.....did I mention we are OLD?.

Had 6 reds, a equal number of cats and 3 eels......plus a good number of whiffs. 

Replies

• cmhairecmhaire Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Haha! Hoping to have some good photos tomorrow. Were heading to palm valley. 
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 118 Deckhand
  • JoeCoolJoeCool Posts: 121 Deckhand
    bswiv, Thanks for sharing! How were you rigged? Fishfinder, popping cork, freeline w/split  shot? Also how important is the tide that far upriver?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    JoeCool said:
    bswiv, Thanks for sharing! How were you rigged? Fishfinder, popping cork, freeline w/split  shot? Also how important is the tide that far upriver?
    As all we had was shrimp we'd caught earlier in the year we went old school with fishfinder rigs. One of my friends likes to use dropshot rigs because he says they are easier and get hung up less. 

Current and bottom matter a good bit. We catch most of our fish from 3-5 feet of water, with the distribution towards the 3 foot side. This usually means not fishing the ends of the docks but rather the backs of the ends and the walkways. 

Generally avoid mud.......though that is not etched in stone. If you feel shell and the anchor is not picking up lots of mud that's usually a better choice.

If you're catching stingrays and eels you should move as in my mind that usually means to little current. Not always.....but usually.

The fish yesterday were on Mandarin Point but if it'd been earlier......and less windy!!.....we'd of run north of the Buckman.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,498 Officer
    sounds like a fun 3 hours tho... congrats and thanks for sharing your updates
  • JoeCoolJoeCool Posts: 121 Deckhand
    bswiv,
    Thank You!
    Although I have been fishing the river since I was 4 years old, I have never fished the Mandarin area. Not many are willing to give detailed info as you did and I really appreciate it.