About poaching..

13»

Replies

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 971 Officer
    Upstate New York. Cayuga county 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,066 Officer
    They grow some fine ones! Thanks 
    I'd say it's probably 60-70% agriculture compared to woods. Alfalfa corn and lots and lots of soybeans. Combine that with soft mass and northern deer's go to white oak and theres no shortage to say the least. 
    This brings me to another question. I've ran into a whole lot of these oak trees last couple months. All of them are not very old trees presumably from burning but all have acorns on them. Up until few weeks ago all acorns I saw that were on tree or dropped were rotten but ran into few lately with good nuts that have fallen and nothing touches them. Wondering if anyone could help me out in identifying. My pops always had us tasting acorns growing up red oaks always bitter and white oaks not so much(tanneric acid I think) but anyways these ones here aren't bitter at all just wondered why they weren't getting chewed on.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    turkey oaks
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Flhunter57Flhunter57 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Deer will pretty much ignore turkey/blackjack oak acorns from what I have observed.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,166 Captain
    I think it depends on the locality. Out in the sandhills in the panhandle I observed that turkey oak and blackjacks were highly preferred. And I’ve seen places in Osceola where all acorns were ignored. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,761 Captain
    No doubt FWCC Law Enforcement, Biologists have some sense, figures, statistics, guesstimate on deer illegal take.
    Osceola National Forest illegal take equals legal take?, for instance?
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Flhunter57Flhunter57 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I think it depends on the locality. Out in the sandhills in the panhandle I observed that turkey oak and blackjacks were highly preferred. And I’ve seen places in Osceola where all acorns were ignored. 
    Where I have hunted in the panhandle, there are always white oaks or swamp chestnut oaks, and they love love, love, those nuts.  I have seen deer walk through turkey oaks with tons of acorns on the ground, just to get to a water oak, or some other type oak that has dropped a few acorns.  I guess it just depends on what you find they are eating in your hunting spots.  
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,671 Admiral
    Sandhill Panhandle we're into Water Oaks. Flat Ponds and high Ridges  just beside them are a Preferred Food source.
    Acorns are done now and it's back to Gallberrys in the Pines late season.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 157 Deckhand
    You only have to go 300 yards passed the check station to see the bone yard from people chucking it before they get there ar Corbett. Allapatah flats has some nice bucks in the beginning of the season. I found 4 or 5 regulars this year. Would visit on the way back in from the oak trees. All are gone now. I dont even tell anyone if I see a buck out there anymore. Sucks to see it trying to come back then people taking out the breeders. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    where did you see those bucks . off fox brown   or   back by campground     i know behind dove field   wait the north side of martin highway down the powerline road towards the end on west side behind the pines      maybe the far south east corner of property where 60% of guys hunting out there go       come on tell me where.    wait behind the horse stables right off the highway    i knew it.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,374 Captain
    That bone yard you see at Corbett is where everyone dumps the remains once they've checked their kill and cleaned the meat.... Fyi
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,180 Officer
    meateater said:
    where did you see those bucks . off fox brown   or   back by campground     i know behind dove field   wait the north side of martin highway down the powerline road towards the end on west side behind the pines      maybe the far south east corner of property where 60% of guys hunting out there go       come on tell me where.    wait behind the horse stables right off the highway    i knew it.
    Yes