Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

fishfinders/gps

lpgpilpgpi Palm Coast, FlPosts: 1 Greenhorn
New to forum, looking for good fishfinder combo to use on 20' pontoon, used only on NE Florida intracoastal waterways. Just need simple unit that works. I have reviewed old discussions and maybe there is new and better equipment. Would appreciate suggestions.     

Replies

• gotsnodooksgotsnodooks New Smyrna Beach FlPosts: 129 Deckhand
    I think a lot depends on your price point.  I like the Humminbird helix units myself.
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 258 Deckhand
    It also depends on the space you have on your console and how you want to mount it.  You might find that bigger isn't always better, but a screen too small is also harder to see.  Also, I assume you want a chart plotter / fish finder combo.  Some of the models have a separate gps sensor that also must be mounted. Most have internal antennas now though.  Finally, if money isn't an issue, I found that the side imaging is much more useful than down imaging, and all I fish is shallow water less than 8' deep in most cases.  The side imaging shows underwater structures and fish. I can see pilings and even submerged crab pots at times with mine.  I can tell you that there is a small sunken boat under the US41 bridge on the Myakka, and I never would be able to see that detail with just a down imaging sensor.  As the previous poster said, I too use Humminbird and like it very much.
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 158 Deckhand
    The simrad go series is easy to operate pretty affordable and I think the best bang for your buck.