Home General Hunting

Hog meat being viable

KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 69 Deckhand
Guys. I finally shot a hog. Small 60 70lber but still. 45yard shot, found a blood trail right before sunset. Followed it for awhile and by time park legal on property hours were, we were still in the trail for it. Had to leave due to the hours and our flashlights about dead. 

My question being, if I do find it in the am what are the chances of the meat being good? It wasn't the best trail ever but it went for a hundred or so yards with a few big spots here and there with bunch of constant brush spots. Just need help determining how to know if it's good or not with our weather. 

Regardless good or bad, I'll still savage a few parts of it since it is my first hog kill and leave the rest to natural selection if I find it. 

Thanks guys

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,950 Captain
    If you’re here experiencing the hot weather of central Florida, I’m afraid you’re gonna be out of luck come morning. Go back later and salvage the skull. BTW - It’s a learning experience. 
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    We have recovered deer and pigs the next day.  I have had to look at each animal and evaluate the situation.  Where the shot was and what you messed up will often determine what parts you can recover.  I often will not keep what is in direct contact with the gut (ribs and tenderloins).  Hams, back strap, shoulders etc are often fine.  

Sun is bad.  

Downside rain is on the way.  I have also seen hogs that manage to survive some serious wounds .

Possible post to Florida blood trailing network Facebook page.  Have had several reports of much success in their services.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,154 Admiral
    Worth considering is that he may not die any time soon ( Which is not what we strive for. ) this evening so finding him in the morning may only represent a few hours......which is not a big deal.

Go back.

And know that if he was going in a very straight line and then starts meandering about you need to slow down and then once there is no more blood start doing expanding circles. If it's simply been following established trails from the git go then there is a very good chance you did not do much.

In any event.......as was said.......a learning experience.
  • KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Most definitely. Good advice here thank you all. Have tracked many of deer up north but the weather down here is something that's tricky. Will update. 
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,173 Admiral
    "If you’re here experiencing the hot weather of central Florida, I’m afraid you’re gonna be out of luck come morning. Go back later and salvage the skull."
    Excellent advice. Too much of a chance to take. 
    KeithLBPI said:
    Most definitely. Good advice here thank you all. Have tracked many of deer up north but the weather down here is something that's tricky. Will update. 
    Looks like the rain has held off this morning so there's a good chance it can still be tracked........results will be interesting.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    How did it go OP? 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,067 Captain
    I heard this year that Hogs will go to oaks or water when wounded. Never had heard of this but found my sons archery hog at the base of a small oak.
  • KeithLBPIKeithLBPI Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Tracked the blood trail an additional 50ft or so.. Blood trail started being less and less and spacing out more. Gride searched the area for about 2 hrs with nothing. He's probably still alive might have just been a small hit. Only using slugs here on out. 
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    I dont know how long youve been hunting hogs man but I always shoot mine in the head. It guarantees an instant clean kill if you drill the spot. Anywhere in or within an inch of the ear should do the trick. Ive even shot mine a bit high once or twice and it dropped them in their tracks. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    KeithLBPI said:
    Tracked the blood trail an additional 50ft or so.. Blood trail started being less and less and spacing out more. Gride searched the area for about 2 hrs with nothing. He's probably still alive might have just been a small hit. Only using slugs here on out. 
    While not the focus of the post I did note your comment about "Only using slugs here on out."

A suggestion. Spend a few dollars patterning the shotgun with buckshot. Beyond the fact that the norm is that if time permits you AIM with buckshot just as with a slug, which means you need to know where it is throwing the shot string, there is the old debate on what size buckshot to use. The two issues are often intertwined.

What I found with my OLD Mossberg ( 20 inch barrel and choke tubes ) is the the full choke tube with 000 Buck threw the tightest pattern. This was with more than a few rounds expended. Best I can tell both the Remington and Winchester 3 inch do perform about the same. Never got around to trying the Federal as the patterns with the other two were so good out to beyond what I'd judge was to far to sling buckshot.

One benefit to the 000 is increased penetration. Still probably not going through though.

Yours may be different.......and you may be surprised where a AIMED load of buckshot actually centers.......so play with it.