Home General Hunting

Newb to Hunting.. wma tiger bay

suprman29suprman29 Ormond Beach FLPosts: 5 Greenhorn
I do my gun day for Hunter safety first week of January.. looking to hunt hogs or deer with a rifle .. what time of year can I do that .. also do I need a shotgun for small game season rules say no center-fire rifles .. I've never hunted and feel it's something I want to experience .. any help for a newb would be great thanks

Replies

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
    Start by reading the entire brochure for the Tiger Bay WMA. When you're finished, read it again for the specific info you want.

https://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/northeast/tiger-bay/
    https://myfwc.com/media/5543/tigerbay.pdf

• mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 335 Deckhand
    Reading the regs is good advice as the can be different in certain areas. Do not assume they are all the same.

Yes, no centerfire rifles would mean shotgun is ok but again, read the regs.

Tiger bay is what most would concider a romp and stomp area. Lots of people and lots of pressure. That being said, I hunted it for many years and I can tell you that there is game in there. This is a great time to start scouting for next year since you can do it with a shotgun over your shoulder.
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,650 Captain
    suprman29 said:
    I do my gun day for Hunter safety first week of January.. looking to hunt hogs or deer with a rifle .. what time of year can I do that .. also do I need a shotgun for small game season rules say no center-fire rifles .. I've never hunted and feel it's something I want to experience .. any help for a newb would be great thanks

My advice would be to go on a paid and guided Hog hunt. Might be the best $200 you spend learning to hunt with people who do it every day.  You will be 4 times ahead of the curve after that.  Good luck!
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Not so sure that a paid hog hunt would be of much help in preparing someone for a WMA hog hunt.

If you’re wanting to prepare for a WMA hunt, I’d recommend taking that $200 and spending it on a stand, binoculars or some other equipment you don’t already have.

Not saying don’t do a paid hunt though, if you want to. Just that the experiences are not alike. 
  • suprman29suprman29 Ormond Beach FLPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Not asking to give up your spot but what areas would be good to scout for hogs .. have you seen any in tiger bay wma.. 
    edited January 2 #7
    Not so sure that a paid hog hunt would be of much help in preparing someone for a WMA hog hunt.

If you’re wanting to prepare for a WMA hunt, I’d recommend taking that $200 and spending it on a stand, binoculars or some other equipment you don’t already have.

Not saying don’t do a paid hunt though, if you want to. Just that the experiences are not alike. 

Ill totally disagree. And Im thinking along the lines of a stand hunt or spot and stalk with a guide.  For someone who has never hunted before, the learning curve will be LONG going it alone in a WMA right off the bat.  A guide or even a mentor will help first hand with where the Hogs hang out, gun handling. shot placement, ranging, tracking. meat care, etc.

Agree with the mentor.

Don't know of any guided hog hunts that aren't stands overlooking feeder sites. Interested in hearing of some though, if you know any.
    edited January 3 #9
    Agree with the mentor.

Don't know of any guided hog hunts that aren't stands overlooking feeder sites. Interested in hearing of some though, if you know any.

Buggy hunts, spears, dog hunts, ARs with thermal vision.....have read of all of the above but have never personally gone on one.

https://foxbrownoutfitters.com/pricing/hogs/

In the absence of a mentor a guide is the next best thing.  Id rather be hunting near another hunter who has some kind of hunting experience under his / her belt than someone who has never been out there.
    Fox Brown and a WMA are like two different worlds. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,758 Captain
    First hog I took was in the Glades, Indian Reservation.
    Stayed in a Chickee the night before.
    It was apparently surprising and somewhat concerning for the guide, but after a morning tour of the area by Buggy, I asked that I simply be dropped off, left alone, the Buggy Guide to retrieve me towards dusk.
    I had spent a lot of time in the Glades, camping and rabbit hunting, Rotenberger WMA etc but never took a hog at that point.
    I was certainly in hog country at the Reservation, large fenced section. I watched a Razor Back, intentionally pushing my luck while studying the critter until winded.
    Later a number of hogs/ sounder emerged out of a Cypress head, ambling across low grass. I dropped to sitting position, Winchester 30/30 Trapper rested on knees, one shot and a 250 pounder down right there.
    Soon after, with the sun setting behind classic Glades sky and clouds,the Guide shows up on the Buggy..... he was probably stationed nearby......we placed the hog on the buggy using a winch and davit and proceeded to the butcher shed.
    An outstanding, helpful Introduction.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    edited January 3 #13
    Fox Brown and a WMA are like two different worlds. 

No kidding.

Having never hunted a single day in your life and having a 1 day successful hunt with someone knowledgeable are 2 different worlds too.

My advice in posts above. Take it for what its worth and what Id probably do if I was starting out hunting based on my experience of 43 years of hunting.

Your advice - buy a stand and binoculars....fantastic  :)

Maybe a feeder too! You know, for the WMA! LOL