Home General Paddle Craft

Looking for a Yak.

2»

Replies

  • RoadsaltRoadsalt NaplesPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    Resinhead said:
    Took the tandem out yesterday. It has a "middle" seat. Definitely worked but got uncomfortable after an hour or so. Caught a few short trout and found another ladyfish spot.

    Definitely need one with a higher seat.


    I sit on those “throw” cushions that are required on boats. Also have one for my back. Sits me higher and keeps my butt in twerking shape
  • RoadsaltRoadsalt NaplesPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    mlange said:
    As far as prop drives go, what do you guys think the shallow limits are. The hobie's seem great but cost much more? Hands free is the way to go! 
    I believe the drives with a prop need 14”.  Hobie just needs 3-4. Pull the drive and maybe 2”. Hobie needs about 12” to get max fin travel
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    I have the 10' Pescador and it's fine for my purpose but still too heavy to carry up from the river to the bridges, where I park.  Academy had them for a really good deal when I bought mine.  The advertised weight is 55 lbs but feels heavier to a wimp like me.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Roadsalt said:
    mlange said:
    As far as prop drives go, what do you guys think the shallow limits are. The Hobie's seem great but cost much more? Hands free is the way to go! 
    I believe the drives with a prop need 14”.  Hobie just needs 3-4. Pull the drive and maybe 2”. Hobie needs about 12” to get max fin travel

    I have a few friends who have Hobie's and they have had a few major drive repairs already in the first year. Most out of pocket so you can keep the Hobie's. I will stick with Old Town Predator PDL.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    Pedal drives are great if you can afford them, I can't so I use my Tarpon 120 which has been outfitted for fishing. Sure a big fish might sometimes pull you into the mangroves or a busy boat channel, but that just makes it more challenging and exciting!  B)
  • mlangemlange Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Spineyman said:
    Roadsalt said:
    mlange said:
    As far as prop drives go, what do you guys think the shallow limits are. The Hobie's seem great but cost much more? Hands free is the way to go! 
    I believe the drives with a prop need 14”.  Hobie just needs 3-4.  Pull the drive and maybe 2”. Hobie needs about 12” to get max fin travel

    I have a few friends who have Hobie's and they have had a few major drive repairs already in the first year. Most out of pocket so you can keep the Hobie's. I will stick with Old Town Predator PDL.
    Saw a youtube comparison where they were comparing  speed of 3 boats and the hobie drive broke from too much pressure. 
    I mainly fish a river and find I need to anchor to fish or risk being pushed or dragged down into a sweeper. The ability to adjust position while fighting a fish or working a area seems worth the money. The higher seating also seems like longer trips could be much more comfortable. I last 2 hours maybe in my fast skinny yak  that I can't safely stand in. Not sure this could replace my skiff but i'm interested 
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    mlange said:
    Spineyman said:
    Roadsalt said:
    mlange said:
    As far as prop drives go, what do you guys think the shallow limits are. The Hobie's seem great but cost much more? Hands free is the way to go! 
    I believe the drives with a prop need 14”.  Hobie just needs 3-4.  Pull the drive and maybe 2”. Hobie needs about 12” to get max fin travel

    I have a few friends who have Hobie's and they have had a few major drive repairs already in the first year. Most out of pocket so you can keep the Hobie's. I will stick with Old Town Predator PDL.
    Saw a youtube comparison where they were comparing  speed of 3 boats and the Hobie drive broke from too much pressure. 
    I mainly fish a river and find I need to anchor to fish or risk being pushed or dragged down into a sweeper. The ability to adjust position while fighting a fish or working a area seems worth the money. The higher seating also seems like longer trips could be much more comfortable. I last 2 hours maybe in my fast skinny yak  that I can't safely stand in. Not sure this could replace my skiff but I'm interested 
    I stand up all the time and it really helps stretch your legs. I also fish from daylight until dark sometimes without any problem. The seat is comfortable enough to keep you for getting back aches.

    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



Sign In or Register to comment.