Home General Fishing

Gold spoon for redfish?

2»

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 687 Officer
    This may be a 7 year old thread but with all the newcomers in florida it probably deserves a 2nd go round. I use a small Johnson spoon alot. Great not just for weeds but for casting close to brush also. I have caught reds, jacks and other inshore fish on them. Reeling slow is the trick 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,329 Admiral
    Acme Kastmaster is deadly for spanish.  I use a swivel and crank as fast as I can, when there is a school of spanish they destroy the thing.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited December 2019 #34
    10kman said:
      Gold spoons are single hook,wdls, and a spoon with
    with treble hooks.If you use one with a treble hook,be
    sure to change out the treble with a extra strong Owner
    hooks.
       Also I use trebles for med to high tide and wdls.for
    low to med.tide.Why?wwdls.less snags and trebles
    much better hookup.Tarpon and snook also will hit
    a spoon,hence the treble.
        Also,bright gold for bright days,silver for overcast.

I caught a Tarpon on one off North Key - Cedar Key Fl...almost. Throwing it in 3 ft. of water over thick grass beds. I had a long leader cause I thought the flashes I was seeing were Spanish mackerel. Using a pistol grip bass rod with an ABU 5000c. Pretty fun 45 minutes with a black and tan coonhound, a ridgeback and wife freaking out in boat....then going to sleep and asking me when I would be done. The Tarpon got off with plenty of life left after about 30 jumps and getting it to the boat 3-4 times. I think it was about 45 pounds.
  • greenbonegreenbone Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Spoons are also deadly when slow trolled, barely above bottom in the creeks and rivers this time of year . Johnson or ADL are great, I do recommend using a swivel .
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 67 Deckhand
    I've used Johnson Gold weedless spoons for 40+ years when fishing for redfish on grassflats and oyster/shell beds.  I've always used it with a trailer of Uncle Josh pork frog in yellow or brown color.  In my personal experience the pork frog makes the spoon much more effective than bare spoon and the new synthetic frogs do not give the same action or boyancy as natural pork. I always keep couple of 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz size in my tackle bag along with a jar or tow of pork frogs.  I always put a high quality ballbearing swivel on the top of the spoon to prevent twisted line.  I retrive the spoon just fast enough to swim it at just above the weed or shells.  I don't target other fish with this spoon but I have caught a lot of trouts and some snooks with it while fishing for reds.
    Most of my Uncle Josh pork frogs are about 8 years old (they were discontinued several years ago) but they are durable enough to last several trips unless the spoon get cut off.  No I only have 9 jars left.

• bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    2times said:
    I've used Johnson Gold weedless spoons for 40+ years when fishing for redfish on grassflats and oyster/shell beds.  I've always used it with a trailer of Uncle Josh pork frog in yellow or brown color.  In my personal experience the pork frog makes the spoon much more effective than bare spoon and the new synthetic frogs do not give the same action or boyancy as natural pork. I always keep couple of 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz size in my tackle bag along with a jar or tow of pork frogs.  I always put a high quality ballbearing swivel on the top of the spoon to prevent twisted line.  I retrive the spoon just fast enough to swim it at just above the weed or shells.  I don't target other fish with this spoon but I have caught a lot of trouts and some snooks with it while fishing for reds.
    Most of my Uncle Josh pork frogs are about 8 years old (they were discontinued several years ago) but they are durable enough to last several trips unless the spoon get cut off.  No I only have 9 jars left.

Very nice. How do you keep the lids from rusting? Man...memories, I can still smell them if I think about it.

Awesome!
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 67 Deckhand
    bicyclist said:
    2times said:

Very nice. How do you keep the lids from rusting? Man...memories, I can still smell them if I think about it.

Awesome!
    I took them out of the original jar years ago and poured them in a glass pickle container which sits in the back of my refrigerator.  I made additional brine and filled it up.  I washed out all the original jars with hot water and soap and kept them dry in my garage.  I fill one or two jars (usually 1 yellow and 1 brown) with the pork frog and use them until I run out then fill them up again.  I also use the large green spotted pork frog on 1/2 oz Johnson spoon when fishing for largemouth bass along lily pads.