Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Would I be crazy?

cmhairecmhaire Posts: 185 Deckhand
So in April I bought a brand new mid tier boat that was suppose to be of very good quality and highly recommended. As my luck would have it, its been a lemon since the start fit and finish wise. This is the third boat i’ve owned so I know boats are money pits blah blah, but when you buy brand new you expect to go longer then 6 months before issues arise. The opportunity has risen for me to purchase a 2012 well maintained contender 23. Boat has twin 115 Yamaha's. Would I be crazy to leave my brand new boat with a warranty and go into one thats 7 years old?? My fiance/family think i’m crazy to even consider it. However, we all know contenders will last a life time. Thoughts??

Replies

• livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 149 Deckhand
    if you bought new in April what was the warranty-if still in warranty I would retain an attorney and discuss the Magnuson -Moss Warranty Act. 
  • cmhairecmhaire Posts: 185 Deckhand
    It has a good warranty. They’ve fixed everything as it happens. However it just takes forever and its frustrating. 
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,184 Officer
    So the boat can be surveyed but what motors and hours and how we’re they ran and maintained?

National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    If your having structural hull problems, I would bail. If its just stuff like bilge pump and wiring, ect just fix yourself or under warranty. Fix it yourself if it takes alot of time for warranty. If I go fishing, its a rare occurance that something doesn't break or stop working on a trip. If you like the layout of your boat and it rides good, I would stick with what you have vs selling. Probably lose alot of money selling such a new boat. My neighbors brother bought a sea fox center console for 50k a couple of years ago, now he is looking at a contender. Boats like his are selling for around 30k on craigslist.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,176 Admiral
    Just an old guys view but......once you've decided on a configuration/style that will carry you a long way down the road, to pay for something with a reputation as bulletproof will in the long run be less expensive. And......when you factor in the down time where you miss days fishing, and the frustration of taking it to get it fixed, as you mentioned, the idea of buying quality works.

Do though keep in mind.......gas tanks........how hard to replace when they go and how close they are to going when you buy a used boat. Friend has a Maverick MA that's 26 years old. Kept inside......though used a lot. He guided out of it for a number of years. Only issue is that this year the tank went to leaking as it had corroded through. $7K.........

• ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    edited December 2019 #7
    If the contender will suit your style of fishing and you can afford it, why not? Second question is pretty straight forward, but first question deserves a lot of thought. Last thing you want to do is lose your **** selling your current boat and buy the Contender only to realize you miss having the boat you had before.

Also, you may have some trouble selling your current ride online considering you just described it as a lemon.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,258 Captain
    One of the costs of boat ownership is depreciation.
    its one thing to buy new for new design features- to buy for “ warranty” with typically overworked dealers is paying a lot.
    Purchasing used with the understanding and plan to spend money on prevention maintenance has been ideal for many boaters.
    Boaters rarely wear boats/ engines out.......they break them.
    Learn to not break.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 471 Deckhand
    I bought new in 2014.  I have 900 hours on a 23 foot nauticstar 2200xs.  I noticed about 18 months in that I had to get more directly involved in fixing things.  Many repairs are an opportunity to make things better for the long run and your own personal sweat equity can pay dividends.  In hindsight, I liked having a brand new boat, but this next time I will very likely grab a gently used boat instead of new.  There are a ton of high quality boats for sale used that have been barely used.  A lot of guys buy boats and never really use them!  Something gently used paired with some personal sweat equity in my opinion is the right answer.  
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 471 Deckhand
    And personally I would not make a change unless I was getting significant upgrades in range, layout etc.  
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Another thing to remember, if you get the Contender with twin 115's......You WILL BE WANTING TO RE-POWER.....in order to get the most out of that boat.....23T or the older style 23 open ??

If it's a 23T ....you'll definitely be looking to re-power.

I had a 23 Proline (2001 the DONZI hull )......had it for 12 years, and wore the 225 EFI out...then re-powered with twin 115 Optis......and even though it was still a great boat.....i regretted not getting twin 150's.....because when you want the HP it's not there with 115's......trolled great but, could not get up on one motor.

You always want to MAX your boat's HP.....when possible.

That being said.........and you keep that in mind and don't mind re-powering in the future, then get the Contender.

Can't be too much wrong with a 2012 year model, and the gas tanks should have plenty of life left in them.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,781 Captain
    sorry to hear about the lemon..... but like others mention, I like used or barely used and do your own upgrades to tweak it to your liking... warranties are nice especially for Major issues but annoying to use it for little stuff that can keep you off the water... buddy bought brand new 2 years ago and has been in the shop more than he wants to admit to and they give him a hard time each time and only cover it 100% when he really complains to the right person and none have been major....  either way be prepared for stuff to break and having the tools and know-how to fix it yourself = priceless!  or you can call Wade, Mike Manier, Seaelectric, Tony, etc..  let us know how it goes... good luck
  • cmhairecmhaire Posts: 185 Deckhand
    Were still thinking hard about it. Don’t want to rush and make a poor choice. My current boat has nothing wrong structurally, rides great and i LOVE my motor. But the issues with the small stuff is enough to drive someone crazy. I will most likely never buy new again. My last boat I bought brand new and the motor blew up and left me limping to the dock at 6 months old. Then the issues with this one. I think next time we will go the slightly used route. We checked out the used contender Saturday. While I liked it, and could see the potential it had, Addie was less then thrilled about it. She wants to wait a little longer and keep searching until we find the right used one. She says i’m being dramatic in calling it a lemon, however shes not the one dealing with fixing it. lol In the mean time, the dealer is fixing my current set of issues and maybe things will fall into place and have no more issues! Thanks for everyones opinions 
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 256 Deckhand
    edited December 2019 #14
    Most boats have things here and there that go wrong and require fixing.  Bust out another thousand saying in my opinion is accurate for those that are not mechanically sound or able to do there own trouble shooting.  I only buy used and usually run into a few problems here and there but nothing major.  Usually hundred dollar fixes that are more irritants than anything else.  Maybe I just have good luck. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,146 Officer
    So what are the issues, super curious as to why your ready to dump a yet undisclosed mid tier new boat?
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,428 Officer

Keep the new boat...spend the time and money to fix it right.  These boat builders today are all about deadlines and pushing stuff through faster than ever and their quality control sucks.  Before our latest boat was 3 months old we had to replace all bilge and livewell pumps ..hardware was rusting....small stuff but stuff that makes you want to sell the darn thing!  Keep your emotions out of it is hard b/c you've spent hard earned money on it but if you have a qualified guy fix her up right you'll be happy in the end.  The hull and motors are the heart of you investment....the other stuff is minor.  Good luck.

-T