Home General Hunting

Duck taxidermy tampa

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 265 Deckhand
Hey guys, so this is my first year duck hunting, and me n my buddies have found a little greenhead spot, if I’m able to take a greenhead as my first duck I wanna mount it, first off how do I prep duck for taxidermy, I’m familiar with big game not so much with ducks, and does any one have a good taxidermist in the Tampa bay area

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,463 AG
    I tuck their head under the wing and put it in a pantyhose head first then put in freezer. Not sure of any place down their to have one mounted. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Those Tampa greenheads are a rarity.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,650 Captain
    micci_man said:
    I tuck their head under the wing and put it in a pantyhose head first then put in freezer. Not sure of any place down their to have one mounted. 

Ill add that Ive heard to put them in a plastic bag so they don't dry out.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 822 Officer
    I have a taxi in the family and he always recommended to clean off whatever blood you can with a paper towel, dry the bird, place them in a plastic bag, freeze, and take to the taxidermist.

I can't give any first hand recommendations in Tampa since I always used Bill Comstock (RIP). But I do know that Lee's in Largo will do birds. There is also a man named Bill Richkus who recently moved to St. Pete who is an accomplished taxi from MD or VA. He showed me some pictures of his work that looked great. I'm sure you could google him.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,371 Captain
    Is Irving still mounting ducks over there?
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    Dont put the apartment complex ducks on your wall..... but irv will mount it for you over there if you are interested 
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 265 Deckhand
    Definitely not apartment complex haha it’s a spot in the bay. To be honest any drake I shoot first will probably be mounted. Should I not take the breast out or is that ok to do for a mount?
    edited December 2019 #9
    Ducks can fly around from time to time. You can breast them if you're careful or have the taxidermist do it for you if you can take it to him timely, since theyre usually pretty good at skinning. I personally dont bother breasting a mounted bird 
    edited December 2019 #10
    They fly right out of the apartment ponds to roost in the bay! Check their craw for wonderbread lol.  No shame in it though, I've busted a pile of Gibtown/Riverview carnie mallards in my day.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,463 AG
    I know several people that use this guy in Eastpoint FL. If I get another one mounted I will too. 

https://www.marshallstaxidermy.com/blank-page 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    All mallards are not carnie mallards. Hybrid/semi-domesticated mallards would be very unlikely to end up in the bay.   Real mallards are in FL every year. But also unlikely to be in the bay... so..who knows.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
    micci_man said:
    I know several people that use this guy in Eastpoint FL. If I get another one mounted I will too. 

https://www.marshallstaxidermy.com/blank-page 
    Some good looking work and prices are reasonable too.
    All mallards are not carnie mallards. Hybrid/semi-domesticated mallards would be very unlikely to end up in the bay.   Real mallards are in FL every year. But also unlikely to be in the bay... so..who knows.
    There are a couple guides who hammer the bread eaters in the mangroves of tampa bay and make some good money doing it. Makes up for when the divers are slow.
    Reel Teal said:
    There are a couple guides who hammer the bread eaters in the mangroves of tampa bay and make some good money doing it. Makes up for when the divers are slow.
    For sure.  Not all mallards in Florida are carnie mallards, but the ones who live on the bay in Riverview/Gibtown year round sure are.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
    Came around a bend on Tampa bay about two years ago in my kayak, near the Gandy boat launch, and guy had about a 20 duck spread out. Didn't see him fire a single round but did see him reel in a good 30ish inch snook while he was wading there.
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 340 Deckhand
    I know of two spots in Upper Tampa Bay where a hunter could shoot mallards on almost every hunt.  
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    Big Mak said:
    Is Irving still mounting ducks over there?
    Not sure but Irv does nice work and is loacl over there.

Look for " Fins to feathers "  on the web
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you