Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lane Snapper Closure

Closes in Gulf Federal waters effective Friday for both recreational and commercial sectors.  Not much warning.

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,778 Moderator
    Source of your post please??.  Just got of official update page no mention of this event.
    larrywitt 
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 695 Officer
    Here it is Larry, rest of this year (19 days) in Gulf federal water:

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 158 Deckhand
    NOAA Southeast Region Gulf of Mexico Fishery Bulletin FB19-079, released 12/10/2019

If you are involved in the fishery you should probably sign up for these bulletins.  Most of them don't have much affect, but once in a while one pops up like this one that is pretty big.

https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USNOAAFISHERIES/subscriber/new?preferences=true#tab1
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,778 Moderator
    limitless said:
    Here it is Larry, rest of this year (19 days) in Gulf federal water:

Thanks for the info .I hope  they make it common knowledge.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,698 AG
    how much more notice you want?

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

For immediate release: Dec. 11, 2019

Suggested Tweet: Lane snapper closing Dec. 13-31 in Gulf state and federal waters. @MyFWC: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/270fbb5 #Florida #fishing #snapper

Lane snapper closing Dec. 13-31 in Gulf state and federal waters

Lane snapper will close Dec. 13-31 in Gulf of Mexico state waters. This closure is consistent with a similar closure in Gulf federal waters and is being done at the request of federal fishery managers. The closure is a result of information indicating the federal quota has been exceeded.

To learn more about the closure, visit Fisheries.NOAA.gov/bulletin/recreational-and-commercial-harvest-lane-snapper-federal-waters-gulf-mexico-will-close

-30-

Bookmark and Share

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Logo

QUESTIONS? Contact the FWC

STAY CONNECTED:
    Visit us on Facebook Visit us on Twitter instagram logo Visit us on Flickr youtube logo pinterest logo Sign up for email updates

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
    Subscriber Preferences: Unsubscribe, Add/delete topics, modify your p

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I posted this in another section, may explain it a little better.

• This has been in the making for aprox 10 years..

Some years back (after commercial IFQ's and a recreational management plan for ARS and grouper was implemented) NMFS came up with a list of "No Data Species" and a plan to regulate them.
      NDS are species with no stock assessments and/or very little information about the health of said species.

The plan for NDS takes the last 10 years of landings (commercial and recreational) for that particular species, adds the lowest number/highest number together in that time frame and divides by two, the result is the new TAC (total allowable catch).

Stone crab was on that list at the time, Organized Fishermen of Florida and Florida Keys Commercial Fishermen's Association working with FWC petitioned NMFS to give FWC full management of stone crab.

NMFS agreed and our stone crab season remains the same with no restrictive TAC.

Seems to me some of y'alls fishing orgs either glossed the NDS proposals over or just didn't pay any attention to them.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    You make a good point on the NDS species, but that's not the issue for this particular situation.

I don't know enough about the commercial lane snapper fishery to comment on that side, but it's disruptive to the recreational fishery to announce on a Tuesday afternoon that a significant species will be closed effective Thursday evening.  Private anglers like lane snapper because they're fairly easy to catch, and in this region more recs have been fishing offshore this year due to the FWC closures inshore on reds and trout.  The for-hire guys are looking at a busy Christmas week to end the year with trips already on the books, and many of them rely on lane snapper as a box-filler around a small bag limit of grouper.

One of the problems with the current Council system of fishery management is that it is too inflexible.  The TAC is reached so the fishery must be shut down, end of story.  No one at the Council level is allowed to try to use a little common sense in making decisions.  For example:  does anyone really think that shutting down the fishery for 2.5 weeks is really going to have a measurable impact on the stock?  Will it really be worth the disruption to the industry and the ill will from anglers that will be directed towards NOAA for implementing yet another closure that's perceived as unnecessary? But the system does not allow those types of considerations to be weighed in the decision-making process.
    Feds have to follow the law.

Not much of a commercial fishery for lanes, more of a bycatch in the H&L grouper fishery.

Again this has been on the radar for years and it's not going to stop with lanes. 
    You are right about following the law.  There are some good people on the Gulf Council staff who would do a more effective job at managing fisheries if they were allowed to work in a less rigid and more nimble system.  Unfortunately, getting congress to take a serious look at fisheries management doesn't seem likely any time soon.

And you are right about it not stopping with lane snapper, and it didn't start with them either.  Red snapper has been a decades-long debacle, grouper management has been consistently out of cycle with the stocks, heck triggerfish were probably the best example of how bad it can get.
    I agree.