Home Fly Fishing

Bendback hooks.

Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,385 Captain

These were ordered in April, and I'd honestly forgot they were coming. They showed up 2 weeks ago and I've been putting them to work. Technically I still haven't tied a bendback with one.

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,906 Captain
    I used to have a contract for a bendback pattern with Umpqua but it lapsed due to slow sales (in the royalty game your stuff either sells in shops or it's gone...).  In those days Umpqua had a bendback hook - but the bend was always too extreme and the hook itself was very strong and not flexible at all (any attempts to modify the bend would cause it to snap....).  As a result I always bent my own hooks with Mustad #34007 hooks using two pairs of pliers.   The bend I was looking for was exactly what you're showing here... The flies you're showing by the way are outstanding...

At any rate here's the Big Eye Bendback - the only pattern I ever had with a bent hook...  size 1/0
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/T0lnPXH.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/H1oZMwC.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://i.imgur.com/IeZQywg.jpg[/img]

I came up with this pattern way back when Liz and Frank Steele ran the Fly Fisherman shop up in Titusville in the early eighties....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I would have edited out the pics I entered and done them in a manner that they'd show... but the edit function for added threads isn't working.... (attn: moderator...)
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,385 Captain

It's all good Capt. Bob, thanks for sharing. I've always shied away from bendbacks because I loathe stainless hooks. And bending a high carbon steel hook compromises the temper, it's never the same afterwards, if it survives the procedure at all. I'm still playing around with this one, I can't put it down. I get the distinct impression that a lot of these products are designed by people who don't really spend much time on the water, so I tend to get pretty excited when something like this comes along, and they get it right the first time. Oh, and I'm definitely stealing your bent deceiver, lol.
       And fwiw, sorry about the moderator issues. I did my time, and have no desire to do it again. At least Carl is gone, right?
    Here's a few more of the bends I used to do for shops. 
    My version of Pallot's Prince of Tides, a backcountry pattern

My version of Fernandez's Snapping Shrimp - a great bonefish pattern on a #4 hook in some of the heavy grass bottomed areas in the south end of Biscayne Bay.  The wing is always bear in my version - black bear for the dark pattern and a cinnamon phase grizz for the tan version..

These are my own original Slinky pattern - starting with the Natural Slinky on the left.  Pretty good bugs in shallow redfish and trout country.  Each one has a 1/2" of .040 square lead wire as a keel in size 1/0...

By the way all of this is my small attempt to breathe a bit of life back into this site.... It used to be the place to go a few years back....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,175 Officer
    Lemaymiami your not only very skilled at tying but a world of education you share with us!
    thank you for all your post.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 714 Officer
    I have been using Mustad 3407-DT 2/0 for my bend backs, catch lots of Snook in fallen trees with them. Not my idea, but I bend the eye up before bending shank down. Get much much better hook up rate, and far fewer pulled hooks. Found this on the internet one day a long time ago. 

• CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 92 Deckhand
    I need to order some of these hooks. Always been terrible and getting the right bend on the hook. Hopefully they come in #4,6, and 8. my boxes need some of those snapping shrimp Lemaymiami has above. They would be perfect for belize bonefish. 
    All of the ones I used over the years were all Mustad 34007 (#4 mostly..- that I bent myself - and that the new hooks from Umpqua show the correct bend for anyone to follow...).

Most fly shops around the country use Umpqua products so your local shop or a full service catalog should be able to get them.  The bad news is that like most Tiemco hooks from Japan will be expensive- and I can’t tell you whether they come in smaller sizes...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,385 Captain
    All of the ones I used over the years were all Mustad 34007 (#4 mostly..- that I bent myself - and that the new hooks from Umpqua show the correct bend for anyone to follow...).

Most fly shops around the country use Umpqua products so your local shop or a full service catalog should be able to get them.  The bad news is that like most Tiemco hooks from Japan will be expensive- and I can’t tell you whether they come in smaller sizes...
      Msrp is 10.99 a pack for I believe 20 hooks. We carry them in #8-2/0, but they could be available in other sizes. We ordered these in April, as of then these were the sizes available.
  • CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 92 Deckhand
    Looks like they have a good size range. I'll have to get a few and see what I can come up with. 
  • jaymjaym Posts: 119 Deckhand
    ODC

That first Seaducer is excellent, as are the others but like #1.

Jason