Any tips for fishing on foot in Saint Lucie Co? Fresh or salt.

beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
I'm looking to expand my fishing opportunities. I have a boat but I am looking for something to fill the in between days. Like now while I wait on backordered parts.

I was hoping to find tips for spot to catch some sheepshead and maybe somewhere to catch something on fly too. I fished the spillways a few times but haven't been back since they remodeled the one by the turnpike. Is it still accessible? (I guess I could check duh...) Not looking for a map to your favorite honey hole, just something to get started with.

I need to grab some better shoes before I spend any time wading. Stepped on a stingray barefooted and dodged it but it scared the crap out of both of us.
John.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    Too bad you cant wade, I was down there on friday and had a slam over in a little cove off of A1A in stuart. You could try fishing the surf for snook if you cant wade, as far as freshwater goes I cant give you any tips.

Check these wading boots out. $13-28 depending on your size

http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Premium-Neoprene-Black/dp/B000LK1OAE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1322765894&sr=8-6
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    Wading isn't out, I probably have some old sneakers I could use too... I'm open to any suggestions. I just figured I'd try and spark up a conversation. Eventually, I'd like to be able to fish and catch fish in a bunch of different ways with the gear I have. Been too windy and busy to get out in the canoe, Honda parts are on backorder and I'm at work thinking about fishing.

Looked at your site, looks good. See any flounder in Stuart?
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boatless-In-BrowardBoatless-In-Broward Posts: 78 Deckhand
    Whether you fish fresh or salt, invest in good footwear. It is a critical piece of equipment. So many guys buy expensive tackle but neglect their choice of footwear. For salt, pick up a good pair of wading shoes, not wet socks - they suck. For bank pounding, get a pair of Gortex hunting boots or Hiking shoes with good ankle support. You'll keep your feet dry and your ankles sprain free. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped in an unseen hole. Also, whatever water you fish try to wear natural colors instead of the bright white and pastel clothing Columbia peddles. For salt, washed out sand colors are great, they blend with pretty much every environment. For fresh, I like camo since the banks are covered with vegetation. Yes, if you can see a fish, they can see you. Polarized glasses are must, and don't forget to walk softly. Fish are sensitive to vibration. Tight lines.
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    beyondhelp wrote: »
    Wading isn't out, I probably have some old sneakers I could use too... I'm open to any suggestions. I just figured I'd try and spark up a conversation. Eventually, I'd like to be able to fish and catch fish in a bunch of different ways with the gear I have. Been too windy and busy to get out in the canoe, Honda parts are on backorder and I'm at work thinking about fishing.

Looked at your site, looks good. See any flounder in Stuart?

Thanks. Yeah I caught one flattie that was about 14 inches up in some mangroves. I believe I missed another one. A guy came out on his dock to talk to me and he said he caught a few that same week right off his dock
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881