Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Goodbye

Hey , this is the MelMan .  Some administrator requested I reset my password and then would not let me complete the reset.  I tried to sign in with a new email address and was refused for that also so I guess I am not wanted .....fine.  

Just wanted to let ya'll know I didn't leave , I was cut off. 

Replies

• billybob11billybob11 Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Got me too. Per email address it brought up old signature/username 
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,170 Captain
    It was done across the board on all forums hosted by the parent company. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,002 Moderator
    MJM said:
    Hey , this is the MelMan .  Some administrator requested I reset my password and then would not let me complete the reset.  I tried to sign in with a new email address and was refused for that also so I guess I am not wanted .....fine.  

Well Mel, sorry you feel that way. Evidently you did get back in. We'll miss you.

(Do you really think you were individually picked out?  To my knowledge, everyone had to do it.)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,978 Captain
    Happened to me too.....thankfully i remembered what email address i used.  Been on this forum over 15 years
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    Melman, if at first you don't succeed then try, try again. It took several attempts to log in but it finally let me back in.This place is on life support now, can't afford to lose too many more people. It is already like a gold mine town that went bust!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• MJMMJM GeorgiaPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    MJM said:

Well Mel, sorry you feel that way. Evidently you did get back in. We'll miss you.

(Do you really think you were individually picked out?  To my knowledge, everyone had to do it.)
    Well Ferris, maybe if we had been notified  that was happening and instructed on how to change our password if our email was no longer functional since it was the one we used 15 years ago, we would have had a better ability to comprehend what was happening.
    Instead, out of the blue I can't log on, I can't change my password because the instructions of how to do it are only able to be sent to a nonfunctional email, I can't re-register because my user name is "not available",  after trying to re-register using new email and similar user name I get the notification that "We have no record of that email being in the system"  and thus I am totally unable to get back in.  
    I miss my picks for the last race of the year which may have affected the championship of the entire season.  I am unable to contact you or anyone involved since I am unable to log into the site after trying multiple times for at least 30 minutes.
    The only way I was able to get back on was to register on someone else's computer as someone else.  So forgive me for "thinking you were individually picked out"  , it seemed a little odd to me. 
    I can not stay using someone else's computer to post, obviously, so if you can tell me how to get back on as The MelMan using my own computer, I will give it a try.   Otherwise, like you said, you'll miss me..
    I will miss you. Evidently, some members have not kept their info up to date. They seem to be having problems, especially those who changed their email addresses over the years. 
    I can only suppose that you can come in on your computer with your new name and PW. 
    I am awaiting some clarification on this myself.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

To me it is nothing more than a glitch in the login process. I didn't change a single thing, not even password. After a bunch of times trying it finally took my new / old password and email address.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Mel, I can send you the email addy you have on file here if you want. Check your messages under MJM.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Let Us FishLet Us Fish Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    edited November 2019 #11
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,286 Officer
    What I’m about to say is not a reflection on you, Ferris. 

Anytime there has been a substantive change to the username or password process on this forum it is typically handled worse than picking up a steaming pile with one’s bare hands. I attribute this to either poor skills by the owning organization’s IT staff or general apathy by the staff (not the moderators). 

I get that this is a free forum. I get that the owning organization can, and will, change things at will without giving two hoots what the membership thinks about it. 

All that said - they’re going to end up driving away the few of us that are still around and active. 

It’s an observation and not a complaint. 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,481 Officer
    This seems to be a general occurrence , I have had to change passwords on six Forums I am registered on, two in the UK, two in the USA, one in Spain and one in Canada. All in the last 72 hours.
    One of the Forums issued a general pre warning along the lines that it was out of their Admins control, other gave no warnings.

Fortunately I keep all my email addresses up to date in my Contact details, its the only way.

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,343 Officer
    Had same fun time as MJM aka Melman. I’ve had same email forever and it said my email was not in the system. It then let me register but wouldn’t let me use my old Swampwalker name as it was connected to another email. Oh well, as they say “technology is a wonderful thing when it works”...
    I agree with everything y'all are saying. It seems to be a web thing as I've had the same experience as Cran with other sites.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• manleymanley Posts: 887 Officer

In the beginning was The Plan.
    And then came the assumptions.
    And the assumptions were without form.
    And the plan was without substance.

And darkness came upon the face of the workers.
    And they spoke amongst themselves saying:
    "It is a crock, and it stinketh mightily."

And the workers went unto their Supervisors and said,
    "It is a pail of dung, and none may abide the odor therefore."
    And the Supervisors went unto their Managers saying,
    "It is a container of excrement, and it is very strong,
    such that none may abide by it."

And the Managers went unto their Directors saying,
    "It is a vessel for fertilizer, and none can abide by its strength."
    And the Directors spoke amongst themselves, saying to one another,
    "It contains that which aids plant growth, and is very strong."
    And the Directors went unto the Vice Presidents saying,
    "It promotes growth, and it is very powerful."

And the Vice Presidents went unto the President saying unto him,
    "This new plan will actively promote the growth and vigor
    of the company, with very powerful effects."

And the President looked upon The Plan and saw that it was good.
    And the Plan became Policy.

This is how _____ happens.

micciman said:
    It's not a huge deal but it kind of is being on here since 2005 I don't remember my password for the email that I had then. Is there no way to add my current email to my old account so I can reset my password and log back in with my original user name and status? If not this is a pizz poor format. 

I know you have no dog in the fight ferris, just asking. 
    It blocked me 7 or 8 times and then let me in. I used all the old stuff and it took it. Just a glitch it seems to me.

• TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 73 Deckhand
    So now I am back in with a run on name and unable to change my picture because, " you do not have permission to do that." :smile:
    Ferris if you would give me permission to change my photo  I would appreciate it .  And pass this message onto your IT staff.  "Ya'll suck at updating the site"
    Let me see if I can do that Mel.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 73 Deckhand
    Let me see if I can do that Mel.
    Got it, thanks...........
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,340 Admiral
    It took a while and some funagling around but I'm back. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 705 Officer
    Same problems here - tried to log on as biglar and had to change.  The email address I used to join is no longer functional and it wouldn't accept anything I tried.   Had to change user name and password.  Now using gogittum and starting over at square one.
    Funny thing is I "changed" to the exact same password as before. 
    This should serve as a good reminder to keep a current email address on all accounts. Not forgiving the poor communications handling here...
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,343 Officer
    When I try to log under my old username, it tells me it’s in use and not available. Oh well....
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,999 Captain
    I guess I'm fortunate.  I had to do the same thing, but I've only used 3 email addresses for personal stuff in the last 25 years.  I remembered registering on this forum in the late 90's with my yahoo address and that was the one still on file.  
    Proverbs 13:3
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 697 Officer
    It made me do the same password reset deal. Thank goodness I remembered and still have access to my original personal email. If not I suppose I would have been in the same trouble MelMan was in. 

Password resets are a part of life nowadays......but it almost always turns into a headache. 

My favorite new password is "this system sucks".  lol 

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,535 Admiral
    I guess I'm fortunate.  I had to do the same thing, but I've only used 3 email addresses for personal stuff in the last 25 years.  I remembered registering on this forum in the late 90's with my yahoo address and that was the one still on file.  
    Me too, I've had the same Email address since '95.  only one I've ever had at home. 
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 816 Officer
    Always amazed "they" keep letting a Yankee like me back in.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,028 Admiral
    amada8 said:

Don't worry, this place is probably owned by a group of investors that don't even fish or hunt. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

amada8 said:

Well, you did move away. There's that. No telling what would have happened if you stayed. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)