Home General Fishing

Help a newb out!

SwemanSweman Posts: 83 Greenhorn
So I'm visiting my girlfriends who's doing her PhD in NC. We are coming down to stay in the sunny isles area (Fort Lauderdale).
My girldfriend is not to keen on fishing, but have expressed some interest in catching some tropical fish.
Going to do some multi-species fishing, but I would like to try to get her on a snook or a tarpon. 
The problem is I got my drivers liscense, among other things stolen in London on my way here. So we can't rent a car and will have to rely on Uber, so Iwould like to find some spots close to where we are staying.
With both of us being students we would like to minimize unnecessery expenses!

Would love any tip I could get, feel free to send a PM as no one wants to give a way their spot :wink:

Best regards 
Victor 

Replies

• L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 710 Officer
    Look to get on a party boat or commonly called head boat for fishing. They will have all of your gear and even take the fish off of the hook for you. All for around $50 per person. You will likely catch a bunch of things to ooooh and ahhhhh over. Especially if she is not too keen on fishing. It will be your best bet short of a full charter.
  • SwemanSweman Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    edited November 2019 #4
    Will look in to the option of going in a head boat, she might be up for it.
    Have no problem handling the fish for her,  usually not in to the while "party boat" thing. 
    Just easier when you can quit when she gets tiered of it and something else 🤣
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Find a good local tackle shop. They will probably be able to point you in the direction of a big pier. They may rent tackle also. Good luck 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,247 Admiral
    Beware  if there is any kind of sea you might need Dramamine 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 710 Officer
    Sweman said:
    Will look in to the option of going in a head boat, she might be up for it.
    Have no problem handling the fish for her,  usually not in to the while "party boat" thing. 
    Just easier when you can quit when she gets tiered of it and something else 🤣
    If she get tired of fishing throw her back in the ocean. HTH
    Find a good local tackle shop. They will probably be able to point you in the direction of a big pier. They may rent tackle also. Good luck 
    The big problem is me lacking my drivers lisence  really. Just getting to the neareat tackle shop is a hassle. I've got 2 rod and reel setups and a tacklebox with some goodies in it with me. 

Only place within 15 minutes of walking is newport pier.
    Is the fishing from the pier any good ?

All this private property and no fishing just boggles me. Back home i'm annoyed that there Is a 1 mile stretch of river that is private. You're allowed to fish pretty much anywhwere else aslong as you have a lisence.
    How do you if you just have like an hour or 2?
    That's all sorted now 👌 got some real good hooks, didn't want to risk them taking all my lures. Had all my gear in my carry on bag ;)
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 407 Deckhand
    Welcome to Florida, land of ‘private property and no trespassing’. You mentioned putting your girlfriend on a snook or tarpon.  This time of year with the cooler weather of late the best bet is likely in the canal systems where the water will be a little warmer, maybe there’s one nearby where you can walk to? Lots of intercoastal canals in that area, maybe there’s some public parks nearby located on the water?
    I am not too familiar with that area

Right now the tarpon fishing has been quite good on the west coast in the canals and small dead baits are working best while the live ones get ignored, guess the crappy weather here lately made them more sluggish. The snook fishing has been decent right after dark, live finger mullet has worked best for them recently. Not sure how these fish are reacting to lures right now though, I never use em. Just gotta fish what you have available, thats a nice looking collection you’ve got there.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,247 Admiral
    Sweman said:
    That's all sorted now 👌 got some real good hooks, didn't want to risk them taking all my lures. Had all my gear in my carry on bag ;)
    Figured as much, just joking with you
    Welcome to Florida, land of ‘private property and no trespassing’. You mentioned putting your girlfriend on a snook or tarpon.  This time of year with the cooler weather of late the best bet is likely in the canal systems where the water will be a little warmer, maybe there’s one nearby where you can walk to? Lots of intercoastal canals in that area, maybe there’s some public parks nearby located on the water?

Right now the tarpon fishing has been quite good on the west coast in the canals and small dead baits are working best while the live ones get ignored, guess the crappy weather here lately made them more sluggish. The snook fishing has been decent right after dark, live finger mullet has worked best for them recently. Not sure how these fish are reacting to lures right now though, I never use em. Just gotta fish what you have available, thats a nice looking collection you’ve got there.
    Don't want to offend anyone but it's madness in my eyes.
    I get that people want privat and that you can't really compare because of a lot of factors like crime and just the sheer size of population.
    But har the same problem in raleigh, NC  state owned lakes and properties and you get to fish a designated fishing area that isn't even 1% of the shore line. 

Found a rivermouth that is as close as it will get, about a 40 minute walk. Can't be go East var hing fish i guess 😂Going to rent some kayaks tomorrow and paddle the end of the river out in to Biscayne bay. Looks promising, wont be able to fish it from the shore unfortunately.
    Will try to catch some bait in the morning, otherwise we will do our best with some artificials.

I'll post my results tomorrow 👍
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 407 Deckhand
    Sweman said:

I get that people want privat and that you can't really compare because of a lot of factors like crime and just the sheer size of population.
    But har the same problem in raleigh, NC  state owned lakes and properties and you get to fish a designated fishing area that isn't even 1% of the shore line. 

Found a rivermouth that is as close as it will get, about a 40 minute walk. Can't be go East var hing fish i guess 😂Going to rent some kayaks tomorrow and paddle the end of the river out in to Biscayne bay. Looks promising, wont be able to fish it from the shore unfortunately.
    Will try to catch some bait in the morning, otherwise we will do our best with some artificials.

Wow only 1% of the shoreline to fish in Raleigh ..that’s a shame. Down here in my area all the old school fishermen tell me how it used to be in this area years back, you could park pretty much anywhere along the beach (and get this, it was free) and be right on the sand and fishing in no time.

The kayak thing sounds like a good idea to help keep the girlfriend interested and occupied since you mentioned she isn’t too much into fishing. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,662 Admiral
    I'M old enough to remember those days.  You could park beside the rd & fish any lake or pond.  There was some good ones on hiway 50 between Orlando & Ocoee.  Full of big bass.
    Sweman said:

Wow only 1% of the shoreline to fish in Raleigh ..that’s a shame. Down here in my area all the old school fishermen tell me how it used to be in this area years back, you could park pretty much anywhere along the beach (and get this, it was free) and be right on the sand and fishing in no time.

The kayak thing sounds like a good idea to help keep the girlfriend interested and occupied since you mentioned she isn’t too much into fishing. 
    Some lakes in raleigh, not sure about all. But been to a few and most of them have a strict fishing area usually just a small part of the shoreline. 

Well we caught a few smaller snook of the kayak, no tarpon tho. Caught a small blacktip of newport pier, a few bluefish and bunch of smallfish.
    Lost a big King that bit through my wire after going airborn 3 times. Probably wouldn't have been able to land it anyway on my 4000 stradic of the pier.

Probably wont get another chance, bit trying my luck tonight.
  • MarkiamMarkiam East Orlando Posts: 25 Deckhand
    Hope you have other ID so you can acquire a fishing license.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,262 Officer
    Sweman said:
    The big problem is me lacking my drivers lisence  really. Just getting to the neareat tackle shop is a hassle. I've got 2 rod and reel setups and a tacklebox with some goodies in it with me. 

Only place within 15 minutes of walking is newport pier.
    Is the fishing from the pier any good ?

All this private property and no fishing just boggles me. Back home i'm annoyed that there Is a 1 mile stretch of river that is private. You're allowed to fish pretty much anywhwere else aslong as you have a lisence.
    How do you if you just have like an hour or 2?

The problem is you chose Fort Lauderdale. There are other areas of the state where most of the land has public access. Do you want to fish or party?
    Markiam said:
    Hope you have other ID so you can acquire a fishing license.
    Had my passport so wasn't a problem :)
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Not a bad  trip considering the obstacles in your way!

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Not a bad  trip considering the obstacles in your way!

Had a great time, wish I had brought some stouter gear 🤣 happy with what i managed to land and enjoyed jumping some big fish 👌
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. I’d say y’all did well considering also. Come back and see us
    You should have been here yesterday