Home General Freshwater Fishing

Peacock Bass Coral Springs

miamihurricane34miamihurricane34 Posts: 145 Deckhand
The peacock bite continues to be red hot. We braved the ridiculous winds yesterday in search of peacocks. We caught plenty of fish on live bait. There is no excuse not to get out there, even 5 and 7 year olds can catch a bunch of fish and it is a blast. Good luck!

Replies

• mdp2146mdp2146 SCPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    Congrats on an awesome trip with your boys. It's clear that wasn't their first trip either! Great to see kids being brought up as sportsmen/women. That video makes me want to get in my truck and start the 10 hour drive down. I hauled my boat down there last year and fished 2 days in the C100 and caught less. It was my first time so I'm blaming it on a learning curve. Do your kids give fishing lessons?
  • miamihurricane34miamihurricane34 Posts: 145 Deckhand
    edited March 2019 #3
    Thanks for the comments, you should come back down. It takes a lot of trial and error to find good spots, but some of the smaller canals can have really nice fish in them. In the spring the peacock bass fishing is a lot of sight fishing, walking the banks to locate fish. It is exciting to be able to watch them feed. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,602 Moderator
    Really cool. Thanks for sharing
    "You'll get your weather"
  • captinRedFishcaptinRedFish Coral Springs Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Fantastic- I live in Kensington Green - where was the canal in the video.

captin redfish 
    4/7/19
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 239 Deckhand
    How far north can they be found? I'm in Punta Gorda, how far would I have to travel?  🤔
  • deflavedeflave Miramar, FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    edited April 2019 #7
    DES51 said:
    How far north can they be found? I'm in Punta Gorda, how far would I have to travel?  🤔
    Dess, 

I am a Florida newbie but I think Coral Springs is about as far north as they can be seen regularly.  
    Thanks, I have heard Ft. Myers but I can't find any info to confirm that. They are on my bucket list!    B)
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 371 Deckhand
    DES51, the canals in Golden Gate , about  an hour and a half south of you have quite a few. Thats the closest place for you to target them with good chance of success. Tackle shops in area that sell shiners can dial you in specifically. Northern boundry for good fishing on east coast is probably Lake Ida/Osbourne.
    Thanks, I just have to get my lazy **** in gear to make a trip!  :)
    How do you guys fish with these shiners?  I've only used crank baits.  
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 371 Deckhand
    #2 circle hook,12-15lb flourocarbon leader, small split shot depending on conditions, I prefer no bobber, cast or pitch, retrieve slowly only to keep in touch with bait. If you're on a boat very slow trolling murderous. If you opt to fish a bed, catch and release only one of the pair. Catching both, even if released disrupts spawn.  
    Thanks troutbom.

I don't fish the beds but good to know that regardless.  
  • mdp2146mdp2146 SCPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    Hi All,
    I'm now officially making plans to bring my family down the last week of May. Will be staying somewhere between Sunrise and Miami. What would be your advise on the best place to target some peacocks? I'm also planning to take the kids to Holiday Park and hopefully put them on some oscar action.
    Thanks for any help!
    troutbom said:
    DES51, the canals in Golden Gate , about  an hour and a half south of you have quite a few. Thats the closest place for you to target them with good chance of success. Tackle shops in area that sell shiners can dial you in specifically. Northern boundry for good fishing on east coast is probably Lake Ida/Osbourne.
    I'm looking to launch a kayak. Would the Community Park be my best option? 🤔
  • SwemanSweman Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Looks like you and your boys had an amazing time! 
    Learning the ropes at a young age is allways a good way to nurture future Interest.
    Coming down to fort Lauderdale tomorrow from North Carolina.

Going to be staying in the sunny isles area, where is the closest place i could get on some peacooks?