Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

boat thieves

Need to make a special effort to safeguard your boats .....in the mt Dora / tavares area...ive personally heard of two boat thefts this past week.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,636 AG
    Thanks for the heads up!  my boat is in storage in Groveland, with video surveillance.  But I'll drive by and check on it regardless.   We also bought one of those heavy duty trailer hitch locks but i know it's just another inconvenience to a seasoned thief.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 282 Deckhand
    Sad... this is just my circle of friends ....ketch em 🤬
    I remember some thieves stealing a friends 150Vmax a few years ago right out of her back yard in Clermont right off the boat which was next to the lake but not on the water itself.   They came up from the lake, nabbed it and took off.   
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 282 Deckhand
    I heard yesterday one of the boats was recovered ....minus the motor😡🤬🤬
  • bottomjerkbottomjerk Posts: 272 Deckhand

u guys haven't heard nothing yet

boats and trk are being stolen by the hr in south fla 

stripping and possibly putting in container ship and sending

to the Caribbean

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    Nobody wants mine.... and that's OK with me... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • DoradoDorado Posts: 410 Deckhand

u guys haven't heard nothing yet

boats and trk are being stolen by the hr in south fla 

stripping and possibly putting in container ship and sending

to the Caribbean

Mu 1987 Corvette was stolen from the Winn-Dixie parking lot at 11:00 PM, Thursday, July 26 or 27, 1996.  I knew I had barely enough gas to go the 4 miles round trip, but would have to get gas first thing in the morning.  I was sick to my stomach when on the 3rd trip in and out of the store in disbelief, when it finally hit me. 

The BCSO dive Team recovered it 1.5 years later in a retention pond South... next to South Bound I-95.... the thief probably ran out of gas.  Thieves were getting a lot of cars and trucks and sending 'em South.

"First of all, the world is never hostile - it just plain doesn't give a ****. Secondly, you have only one enemy in the world and you look at him in the mirror every day."

- Martin Caidin
  • gotsnodooksgotsnodooks New Smyrna Beach FlPosts: 129 Deckhand
    I don't trust anyone...I've got hitch locks on mine in my yard but I know it will only slow them down slightly.  I will sometimes park my truck so there's no way they can get them out without stealing or moving the truck somehow as well.   I hate a thief...they should cut a finger off each time they are convicted in my opinion.  People would start thinking twice.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    I don't trust anyone...I've got hitch locks on mine in my yard but I know it will only slow them down slightly.  I will sometimes park my truck so there's no way they can get them out without stealing or moving the truck somehow as well.   I hate a thief...they should cut a finger off each time they are convicted in my opinion.  People would start thinking twice.
    I have the large ball hitch lock on mine too at the storage facility.  Next year when i start storing it at the house i'll have to make some adjustments to deter thieves from taking it.   But again if they want it...they are going to get it.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    I been wanting to upgrade to a four stroke but afraid it may walk away.......I have heard some guys paint their new four stroked with gray or black primer to make them look old LOL
    we need more internet money
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    Hey are you the old andrewsmith1 from back in the day?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
      I hate a thief...they should cut a finger off each time they are convicted in my opinion.  People would start thinking twice.
    I've read many times where some learned article will say that physical mutilation is not a deterrent.  Hah.....I don't believe that for a second and wonder at the author's motivation.  I think cutting a finger off will make that particular thief think many times before doing it again and I'd bet a fair amount that his buddies would hesitate, too.

I think they should bring back the public whipping post, too, and horse whip the hide off a thief's back.  Make a spectacle of it.  Many who'd be tempted would surely think twice.  

Can't do that, tho' - might hurt somebody's feelings.
    edited November 2019 #15
    I been wanting to upgrade to a four stroke but afraid it may walk away.......I have heard some guys paint their new four stroked with gray or black primer to make them look old LOL
    Actually, Many years ago my family had a rental boat business up north where thieves are plentiful ...all new motors were "olded up" the day we got them. 

I was the only one who had his motor ( not "olded" ) stolen....  But here is the weird part...I got it back 3 years later. 
    As a teen I did a little "shade tree mechanicing"...Easy stuff like tune ups and water pumps.  So one day one of my Fathers customers brings me a 20 HP Johnson for a water pump. I take it down to the shop and I'm kneeling down and disconnecting the shift rod thru an inspection plate...and look up to see a big splotch of blue paint....that was the exact color of my old boat....I had painted the boat in the water without removing the motor and...The motor was the same year as my stolen one.  Looked at the plate and went and got the serial #'s and ..yep...my old motor. I called the cops and they were able to get the cash back from the guy who sold it to my dads customer...but the track got cold after that... But I got it back.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:
    Actually, Many years ago my family had a rental boat business up north where thieves are plentiful ...all new motors were "olded up" the day we got them. 

I was the only one who had his motor ( not "olded" ) stolen....  But here is the weird part...I got it back 3 years later. 
    As a teen I did a little "shade tree mechanicing"...Easy stuff like tune ups and water pumps.  So one day one of my Fathers customers brings me a 20 HP Johnson for a water pump. I take it down to the shop and I'm kneeling down and disconnecting the shift rod thru an inspection plate...and look up to see a big splotch of blue paint....that was the exact color of my old boat....I had painted the boat in the water without removing the motor and...The motor was the same year as my stolen one.  Looked at the plate and went and got the serial #'s and ..yep...my old motor. I called the cops and they were able to get the cash back from the guy who sold it to my dads customer...but the track got cold after that... But I got it back.  
    Paint the motor white, stripe it with orange and put FICHT on the side.   Nobody will steal that thing :D 
    LOL....  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled