Plate/Alligator creek t-top navigation

I'm considering adding a t-top to my 21 Moccasin and have concerns getting through plate and alligator creek. Does anyone on here have a boat with a t-top who regularly does this?

Replies

• Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I can't comment on plate and alligator creek, but if you learn the access will be challenging and you decide to look at the folding t-top option, research it well.  Friend installed a folding t-top on his boat and its a great concept but the actual use will make you rethink it.  
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    83 views and one googan comment. Thanks FSM!!!
  • BK922BK922 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    We did it pre Irma in a 23 Dorado  with a T-Top/tower combo, you should be fine, its no wake in there anyway so you gotta go slow. Only been back there in the skiff lately.
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,573 Captain
    Like many who run through those upper bays - the only thing that sticks up on my skiff is the poling platform so I can't say one way or the other - but I'm pretty sure you'd go through Alligator - no problem...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    almost every trip I wind up back there at one point. All rods get taken out of rod holders. Once when your in, there's no turning around, especially in a 21 foot boat.
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 128 Deckhand
    Have a 21' flats boat with a platform.  Sorry no t top but think you could probably get through Alligator ok.  Plate is tighter from what I recall going through there last winter.  Good luck. B)
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Park rangers get their ttops thru Plate just fine.As said, Alligator is not a problem.
  • Lostmen DanLostmen Dan Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    83 views and one googan comment. Thanks FSM!!!

Exactly how I felt last time asking a simple question on this forum. The post still allowed to exist by forum mods with no subject and essentially no content. That said, this thread seems to have some of the only active members of this forum left.

Nothing left to add to original post not already said by others. Gonna be a tight, one-way squeeze but should work.

I'll give the active members a report here rather than starting a new thread. Very beginning of Oct We made a trip out 30+mi offshore to some private wrecks we have located over the years north of Marco. Plan was to hit them and towers; we never made it to a tower. Sharks were actually not an issue this time out. In the past we've been on some hot cobia bites out there only to not return with a single fish, all taken by sharks. The jewfish are still a nuisance but a bit of a tactical approach and overkill gear keeps baits out of their mouths and gets hooked fish to the boat...sometimes.

All the usual suspects out there and a few nice bonus catches. Yellowtails were to just over 26", 40" to fork on cobia and permits around 15lb and 25lb or so. Took the bigger permit and the cobia on the smallest rod in the boat of course, a 2500 inshore combo. Lost a monster cobia spearing just before sticking with a second shaft. Not too many around early in the month, must be lack of cold fronts this year.

Ended up not shooting any fish and switching over to fishing only. Played with the telephone pole-sized cudas on light tackle when action was slow. Flag tails really made the trip worth it but they were the toughest to fool yellows I've ever fished. Anyone ever get into the keys oat/sand/chum program around the corner here? It'd bet on it drawing a ball of fish up, and plenty of tax collectors.

Some photos below.

31 years old, fishing Flamingo for 32 years

• MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 128 Deckhand