Home General Freshwater Fishing

Anybody ever been

zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,456 Officer
Couldn't find a on the road forum or out of state thread but still figured someone has been up to the great lakes tribs for the king salmon runs. My brother and his best friend just got back they go religiously. I've been few times but dont enjoy the river fishing for them as much as I do getting on them in the open water. Here's a pic of my brothers he got over the weekend top picture is personal best for him 26 lbs. This fish and a couple more half that size landed in a day will have you feeling rode hard and put away wet the next day  

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,643 Moderator
    Nice kings !  Hooked some in Alaska , didn't land them. Strong fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    I went to the Salmon river in Pulaski, NY one time with a friend.  We had a blast and caught a lot of fish.  It is elbow to elbow combat fishing where I was, but still fun.  The only thing was September is skunk mating season up there and the whole town smelled like a skunk the whole time!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,647 Captain
    Occasionally they came to So Cal around Oxnard and my buddies and I caught a few there.  Mighty tasty.  I've also caught them in Washington's Puget Sound.
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 117 Deckhand
    nice fish!  I want to do something like that so bad one day
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,028 Officer
    I lived on the shore of Lake Ontario when all the salmon and trout started. Have caught some in the creeks but more just off shore in a boat. Good rainbow fishing in the winter as well.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,456 Officer
    I went to the Salmon river in Pulaski, NY one time with a friend.  We had a blast and caught a lot of fish.  It is elbow to elbow combat fishing where I was, but still fun.  The only thing was September is skunk mating season up there and the whole town smelled like a skunk the whole time!
    Pulaski is where my brother caught these up on salmon river on a side note though September Is also peak harvest time for peoples outdoor marijuana crop. Some of that skunk smell could been a 10 lb. Patch right off the river. 
    Lostconch said:
    I lived on the shore of Lake Ontario when all the salmon and trout started. Have caught some in the creeks but more just off shore in a boat. Good rainbow fishing in the winter as well.
    I've been up fishing for steelhead in salmon river alot more than any salmon fishing because usually totally obsessed with getting in a treestand this time of year but for the life of me cant find any other pictures but this one. Other than the color I think steelhead and rainbows are same fish the ones in great lakes seem to get alot darker than fish in finger lakes once they get up in the stream. 
  • tailingendloop77tailingendloop77 Posts: 802 Officer
    I did the Little Garden a long time ago. Never seen so many fish in my life. A few fish you could catch in the lips, otherwise there were so many you couldn't help foul-looking a bunch. The kings ran like antelope and usually threw the hook. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,028 Officer
    zimmy4209 said:
    Lostconch said:
    I've been up fishing for steelhead in salmon river alot more than any salmon fishing because usually totally obsessed with getting in a treestand this time of year but for the life of me cant find any other pictures but this one. Other than the color I think steelhead and rainbows are same fish the ones in great lakes seem to get alot darker than fish in finger lakes once they get up in the stream. 
    Never fished the finger lakes much. I lived in Sodus Point for awhile so mostly fished Maxwell Creek
    Lostconch said:
    zimmy4209 said:
    Lostconch said:
    Never fished the finger lakes much. I lived in Sodus Point for awhile so mostly fished Maxwell Creek
    Shows you how little I actually know of area north of where I lived because steelhead I posted in the picture were actually caught on maxwell creek not salmon river but they are all coming from same body of water i guess.  Talked to a buddy today he said every tributary hes been to off cayuga lake is absolutely loaded right now with browns and landlocked salmon spawning. Fall.is best time.of year hands down imo