Home Fly Fishing

New to the area....

bailey_on_pointbailey_on_point Port RicheyPosts: 11 Deckhand
Recently moved to the Port Richey area from Southern California and am looking to start fly fishing along the coast. I dont own a boat, so my access to the water will be via foot, I’d like to wade some flats and shallow water areas. 
My current fly fishing equipment is strictly freshwater, so I’d like to invest in a decent saltwater setup. Is a 7WT  combo a good “all around” setup? I’m not looking to target larger game fish, mostly inshore species.

I work from home, west cost business hours, my mornings are open for a few hours, if anyone is willing to allow me to tag along, I’d be very grateful! 

I appreciate all advice you can pass my way!
Thanks,
Bryan

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    Sent you a private message

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    7wt should be fine for doing reds, trout and snook. I know in my area we have a few guides that doing wading specific trips so there may be some in your area too. They are usually fairly priced and you can get some good knowledge of where to fish and what to use
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Welcome to Florida Bryan, I am a recent Utah transplant...at least you got out of Kaliforniastan. If it were me, I would opt for an 8wt, 7 wt. is fine for the fish but you’ll be throwing bigger flies and there is always wind. Just my .02
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    An 8 weight is definitely your go-to choice.
    A 7 weight might do, but you are underpowered from the start.
    As Remo said, it's not about enough rod to horse a fish, but enough to throw bigger flies into winds.
    As for "Kaliforniastan" ...
    welcome to the home of Florida Man, and a million diaper-wearing blue-haired ladies,
    and the intellectual climate that supports and produces them.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• avmechavmech Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,382 Officer
    edited October 2019 #6
    As Remo and sunflower said, definitely on the 8wt.

And sunflower forgot about the Qtips driving around in knuckle cars (all you see are the knuckles on the steering wheel) in the left lane with their left blinker on at 45 mph (speaking as an old geezer myself........... ;) )
    Member #10822