Home General Hunting

Hog hunting in big cypress recommendations

wolftownwolftown Lehigh acresPosts: 9 Deckhand
Hello i am a first time hunter here. I was just curious if anyone had recommendations as to where i should go for hogs in general gun.  I was thinking on going to bear island or turner river unit. I will be "walk in" hunting. I would like to camp as well for the weekend. Any tips or advice will much appreciated and super helpfull thank you!!

Replies

• Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    I'll be there for the quota week before general opens up. If I see anything walkable I'll let you know.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 612 Officer
    I’m gonna to save you much time.  There are very little to no pigs in big Cypress. 
    Out of the many thousands of hunter that go there. Only a small handful of pigs get killed. 
  • wolftownwolftown Lehigh acresPosts: 9 Deckhand
    ****! Thats what i was afraid of! I read that in another forum somewhere! Thanks for the reply! Know of any other spots ? I checked out webbs but i am waay late on getting any quota permit almost everything was sold out! I will have to be an early bird on that next year
  • Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I haven't hunted there yet but I have been scouting for next year, only seen does in the areas I have scouted but I will be acouting other areas after season to not walk up other hunters. Just be prepared to wade through water and bring a lot to drink
    10 4. Thanks i also read many hunters dont venture out too far mayb a mile or more ? I am planning on going out atleast 2 miles. I wanna be in more secluded area and have an edge. Hopefully will up my chances of getting one! 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,488 Captain
    wolftown said:
    10 4. Thanks i also read many hunters dont venture out too far mayb a mile or more ? I am planning on going out atleast 2 miles. I wanna be in more secluded area and have an edge. Hopefully will up my chances of getting one! 
    With the exception of a couple of spots most of the deer are within 200 yards of the road, but knock yourself out.
  • Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    Most hunters use utvs and swamp buggies to get deep in before walking, and for good reason. It takes hours to go just a few miles in the thick swamp. I have heard of people using kayaks and paddleboards when the water is high enough (look at the post about the honda pioneer getting stuck)
    edited October 2019 #9
    @H20dad i may have a different approach if i were hunting deer. But i am looking for hogs. I figured they might be out farther where humans dont go often...im still learning lol

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Hog hunting used to be fun right off the i75 corridor. We ran dogs right off the road and caught plenty cut n release and then heard how so and so got this huge Bar Hog then we lost access to that area due to all the new regulations. Then the Bears and Cougars decimated the population. Sad my kids will never be able to experience what it used to be like. The cypress is a special place for sure
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,088 Admiral
    edited October 2019 #11
    "Sad my kids will never be able to experience what it used to be like."
    So very true.  My great grand kids live, hunt, in a remote section of Texas.
    Enjoy it while you can!

• Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 120 Deckhand
    Never seen a pig in Big Cypress. Bear island sure has quite a bit of squirrels though!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    edited October 2019 #13
    Not that I've spent as much time as the rest of you in big c, but I never saw a pig or sign of one down there. 
    You can probably head north not too far and get on some.  Not sure where you are at but mabye look at Myakka.  Other than small game season, hog hunts are the only hunts they offer.......
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,243 Admiral
    Use to have a Dim Road we called Hog Road..Bout 3 miles up Turner River from 41, Left side.
    Walk the Swamp , Shoot a Hog. 
    If you spent all day in their Slip Hunting..You'd kill one.
    Gone now..The Trail is still there..It's the Hogs that are gone.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 988 Officer
    wolftown said:
    ****! Thats what i was afraid of! I read that in another forum somewhere! Thanks for the reply! Know of any other spots ? I checked out webbs but i am waay late on getting any quota permit almost everything was sold out! I will have to be an early bird on that next year
    Try Babcock ranch during small game you can hunt hogs just no centerfire rifle. Need to use a shotgun or pistol
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 120 Deckhand
    Thread hijack: how's dinner island for hogs during small season? Reasonable chance?
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 612 Officer
    Only one was taken during all season. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,399 Captain
    There are more unicorns running around in dinner island and BC than hogs these days.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    its still trapped pretty hard also..
    I hunted Dinner Island the first year they allowed Small Game and Hogs.
    We killed all the hogs out of there...
    Lostconch said:
    wolftown said:
    Try Babcock ranch during small game you can hunt hogs just no centerfire rifle. Need to use a shotgun or pistol
    Thank you i didnt know that you could hunt hogs in small game. Il check into it i appreciate it.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,488 Captain
    They killed one hog this year at dinner island. 1
    Thank you all for the replies. I definitely learned from this and will have saved myself time. Im glad i didnt jump into things. Research pays off!
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 788 Officer
    i only go hog hunting 2 or 3 times a year but i go snipe/quail hunting 20 plus days on wma,s that allow hogs during small game     most south zone wma,s absolutely suck for straight hog hunting     theres only 1 decent wma for hogs in palm beach but can,t hunt them during small game and they got a size and bag limit.   thank god they got some restrictions or this place would go the way of dinner island,ok slough, spirit of the wild,big cypress,holeyland,additions land ,allapatta, rotenburg,area 3 and 2,and dozens of leases    all places that once had good hog populations but now suck.  throw three lakes on the sucky hog hunting wma,s too. not saying these places have zero hogs but as said before better chance of seeing a unicorn or bigfoot. oops forgot picayne strand   no hogs there either.
    NOPE , None left in Picayne Strand either.
    Took care of them about 18 years ago. Sure was a bunch back then. 
    Ran upon 3 Barr Hogs one afternoon and 2 went home with me. They looked like Rinos they were so big.
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 387 Deckhand
    Try Bull creek or JW Corbett for hogs.  I typically use my mountain bike at Bull creek.  Use my UTV at Corbett.  

Be very careful. Wear hunter orange all over the place. I only hunt  week days. Weekends are crazy.