Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,157 Admiral
    At that point it is time for me to find another sport!

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Code Brown Code Brown
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 179 Deckhand
    edited October 9 #4
    I was a scuba instructor (NAUI #1410) in SoCal from '69 to '76, managed a dive shop and certified over 2,000 students in that time.  Most checkout dives were at Catalina Island.  Never did see a shark - aside from little Leopard Sharks - in all those 100s of dives.

If I'd seen something like that while in the water.....??  I dunno, would've been tough to go back in for the next dive.

Related - one of my favorite dive sites was the channel between Santa Cruz and Anacapa Islands, where we'd dive the ridges at ~100+ ft or so.  (Never with students)  Saw a few years ago where a record 800# Mako was caught right there.  Think I'd have had heart failure.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,842 Captain
    biglar said:
    I was a scuba instructor (NAUI #1410) in SoCal from '69 to '76, managed a dive shop and certified over 2,000 students in that time.  Most checkout dives were at Catalina Island.  Never did see a shark - aside from little Leopard Sharks - in all those 100s of dives.

If I'd seen something like that while in the water.....??  I dunno, would've been tough to go back in for the next dive.

Related - one of my favorite dive sites was the channel between Santa Cruz and Anacapa Islands, where we'd dive the ridges at ~100+ ft or so.  (Never with students)  Saw a few years ago where a record 800# Mako was caught right there.  Think I'd have had heart failure.
    I grew up in SoCal, and frequently fished and worked on the overnight sportfishing boats that traveled to San Nicolas, Santa Barbara, Catalina and San Clemente islands from 1974-1982.  During that time we would frequently see Blue, and Leopard sharks, and an occasional Bonita Shark, but I never once saw a great white.   A longliner acquaintance did get a huge one out in the Santa Barbara Channel, but that was an exception.  I believe this incident for Catalina is exceptional.

Offshore kayaking in SE Florida, I frequently encounter Bull,Lemon and Hammerhead sharks.  I have been followed around by Hammerheads on multiple occasions and have come to appreciate them as relatively intelligent enough not to want to mess with me. They have rammed the side of my kayak usually when I pull a fish away from them.  Thankfully their actions have been more show and no bite.
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Yah, the southern group - Catalina, Santa Barbara Is and west/south are very different from the northern group - Anacapas, Santa Cruz and west.  Saw many Blue Sharks in Sta. Barbara Channel, never in Catalina.  Lots of Flying Fish going to Catalina, never to Sta. Cruz.  Fishing for Yellowtail off Catalina one year, caught a small Mahi - unheard of to the north.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,365 Officer
    On the way to Santa Cruz Island one morning on my buddy's boat we saw a shark much larger than the width of the boat as it swam under us.  We stopped to fish on boiling fish.  We left.  His boat was 8' wide and 24' long.  Blue sharks were very common where we used to go.
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 538 Officer
    The NCKA (Northern California Kayak Anglers) club http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/.  You can't even join unless you have Great White slash marks on your yak.  Great club.  Where I started kayak fishing.   
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,842 Captain
    The NCKA (Northern California Kayak Anglers) club http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/.  You can't even join unless you have Great White slash marks on your yak.  Great club.  Where I started kayak fishing.   
    Farallon Islands are an annual stomping grounds for Great Whites, so it would not surprise me if one or 2 members from that club have a good sea story.  A few good YouTubers in that club -- NCKA has some detailed info for White Sea Bass Fishing.  I never even realized there was a fishery Nth of Pt.Conception until I stumbled upon this club.  Did you ever have an opportunity to tangle with White Sea Bass?