I'll try anything...

OK , So , Ya'll read my other Post about Trolling a gold spoon while I ate Lunch headed about a mile to another set of Bars.
I caught 3 Trout and a Red just doing that..in an hour.
Now that seems to be a good way to cover water and pick up fish.
Floating grass is the big problem.
Think I can take an Outrigger clip and a 2 Oz. weight and do a Downrigger thing off my Stern ?
Just keep the line 2 or 3 ft. down to avoid floating grass.
Like I said..I'll try anything.
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,531 AG
    clip and weight will work
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Basically a down rigger. I use a weight on a cord and just lower it over the side and tie it off to a cleat, Use a release clip on the weight, you can get small 4# weights for doing what you are talking about but I have an 8# one I use all the time if I am in 15' of water or so. Weeds collect on the downrigger line and the fishing line too but the lure is down under the surface trolling along out of the weeds so it stays weed free for the most part. It is not 100% but, it works pretty well. Caught some nice fish doing this mostly grouper.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,881 Admiral
    Yes , Basically a Downrigger..but I'm wanting to try it in 4 to 6 ft' of water..
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,860 Captain
    I’ve got some old book somewhere where they were trolling the barge canal for reds with plugs and spoons. I’ll see if I can find it. 
    If there was not all the floating Grass I'd be fine but it looks that's a Fact of Life on the Northern Big Bend Flats.
    Analyze and Overcome. I'm never satisfied..But I catch Fish.
    Then you only let out enough line to be below the surface, say 2'. I have done it before but I don't usually do what you are talking about **** very often. With the weeds it is tricky and you need to be quick and in motion since you don't want your lure dragging on the bottom, kind of tricky if you are by yourself but, doable.

Unfortunately, everyone likes to run with their prop in the grass so floating weed is a problem.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,007 Captain
    I thought trolling inshore was for children and old people  that can’t cast
    You should have been here yesterday
  • smhsmh Posts: 277 Deckhand
    Could you attach an appropriately-sized rubbercore sinker a good ways above your spoon?
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,061 Officer
    nick said:
    I’ve got some old book somewhere where they were trolling the barge canal for reds with plugs and spoons. I’ll see if I can find it. 
    Been there..... done that.

Works for Snook and other species too.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,033 Admiral
    Should work fine.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,860 Captain
    nick said:
    Been there..... done that.

Works for Snook and other species too.

That’s awesome!!!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,204 Admiral
    edited October 14 #13
    Inshore trolling is for folks that want a beer in one hand and the wheel or tiller in the other. It works. I have even done it for Bass.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Use to know a lot of Old time Chokoloskee folks when I lived there.
    90 per cent of them either Trolled or fished Chunk Bait for snook and Reds.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,531 AG
    Inshore trolling is for folks that want a beer in one hand and the wheel or tiller in the other. It works. I have even done it for Bass.
    it's a good afternoon (or morning if overeasy eggs in a can is your thing)... lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
     I have even done it for Bass.
    I do it a lot on my lake, specks too.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,050 Moderator
    nick said:
    We used planers and 3.5 drone spoons or bomber long-A's for years in the "ditch" . Was before deep diving plugs were available. Works well.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 253 Deckhand
    nick said:
    We used planers and 3.5 drone spoons or bomber long-A's for years in the "ditch" . Was before deep diving plugs were available. Works well.
    Now with the big lip plugs You can run a yellowtail jig a couple feet above it and catch 3 at a time...😎
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,947 Captain
    When casually drifting trout flats for reds in early fall I have done well with strips of cut bait drug on a light circle hooked knocker rig. Caught a bunch of flounder that way actually.