Home General Hunting

Hunter fatally shot in GA

2»

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    edited October 2019 #32
    Accidently shooting someone is a crime, so that's a thing. But the poaching thing (using rifle out of season), yeah, that doesn't help, definitely.  But doesn't overshadow or significantly change the real issue here - another idiot shot into a bush at something he couldn't see.  

I don't think anyone is missing that the idiot was using a rifle out of season is all I'm saying.  Focusing more on the accidental homicide is still appropriate, of the two different crimes.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    The idea that people are out there shooting at moving bushes is disturbing and shameful. I havent been wearing orange during archery but I'm darn sure gonna start. At least to and from my stand.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    spangler said:
    The idea that people are out there shooting at moving bushes is disturbing and shameful. I havent been wearing orange during archery but I'm darn sure gonna start. At least to and from my stand.
    Well if they they are shooting blind I would not trust them seeing orange. Maybe sing a Merle Haggard tune real loud!
    Hey Diddy!  Hey Diddy!!  Ah see me's a ORANGE DEER!! IMA SHOOT IT DIDDY!! IMA SHOOT IT!!
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,180 Officer
    bicyclist said:
    bicyclist said:

The Old Man and the Boy

The Old Man and the BoyAlong with his first gun came an education in using it responsibly. By Robert C. Ruark. Illustrations by Nora Wildgen

Will be looking for a copy for my son
    It is a wonderful book. Lots and lots of hunting and fishing stories. I read parts of it before every hunting season.

One of the best reads in my collection. There is a second book as well. Great author he had quite a few good books.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 515 Officer
    Same thing happened down here on Alico property, guy shot his uncle        
    not the same thing       they were hunting legally     one of them shot a hog from the buggy and climbed down to retrieve it   the other stayed on the buggy 10 ft off the ground     hog was still alive so guy fired twice with a 9mm pistol   buggy was 75 yds away on a different angle and guy was on top of buggy when he was shot right in the heart.     both of them where experienced hunters.  most accidents are preventable but nothing those 2 did caused guys death.   bullets do richochet.   
    Now that is a true accident.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,756 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    This incident received an unusual amount of press coverage.
    Mostly  lost was “ Deer” .....“ Rifle” ......”Bow Season”.

I don't think the illegally taking game with a rifle out of season was the big story here.

Pretty sure it was the manslaughter component.
    And perhaps “ Gun” component
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Hunting community tries to maintain a squeaky clean image BUT I do believe it might help safety if a site like this as well as others kept a specific page (e.g. accidents, incidents, avoidable injuries/deaths etc.) where EVERY Florida hunting accident of someone being shot was recorded in detail. Skydivers do it on a site dropzone.com and I feel sure it helps keep safety on most folks minds.
    FloridaOD said:
    FloridaOD said:
    This incident received an unusual amount of press coverage.
    Mostly  lost was “ Deer” .....“ Rifle” ......”Bow Season”.

I don't think the illegally taking game with a rifle out of season was the big story here.

Pretty sure it was the manslaughter component.
    And perhaps “ Gun” component
    Not at all.  If the homicide hadn't occurred no one would be talking about it.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 527 Officer
    UPDATE:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/us/georgia-hunting-death-charges/index.html

A 32-year-old Georgia man has been charged after fatally shooting a teenage hunting partner he mistook for a deer, police said.

Hector Romero-Hernandez was booked into the Glynn County Detention Center on Monday on charges that include hunting with unlawful weapon, misuse of firearm resulting in serious bodily harm to another and hunting without a license, according to the county sheriff's office.

Romero has yet to appear for a preliminary hearing and it's unclear whether he has an attorney.
    Bobby Lane, 17, was in an area of heavy foliage on September 28 when another hunter thought he was animal and shot him, the Glynn County Police Department said at the time.
      Police and Georgia Department of Natural Resources game wardens responded and found Lane at a nearby gas station with others in his hunting group, according to a statement from Mark McKinnon, a spokesman for the law enforcement division of the Department of Natural Resources.

Lane died from his injury at a local hospital, police said. The two hunters knew each other.

"The initial information received was that he was shot with a rifle by another hunter in the group, Hector Romero, after being allegedly mistaken for a deer by Romero," the statement said.

Deer season for archery is open in Georgia but firearms season doesn't begin until October 19, the statement said.
      "Apparently he shot through the bush, thinking it was a deer and it happened to be my cousin," Lane's cousin Michael Rawling told CNN affiliates WFOX/WJAX, referring to Romero.
        Lane had a "heart of gold," his cousin said.

"You don't expect anything like this to happen to a child," Rawling said. "It's very hard. Very, very hard."