Good to know about the powerbelts...

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,662 Captain
edited October 9 in General Hunting #1
Bought my wolf at d's.  There was no 'selection' for accessories.  Grabbed triple7 pellets and the aerotip powerbelts.  There were no other options.  Guess I'll use the powerbelts to sight the scope in. 
I'd like to fine tune it with whatever I'll actually be shooting.  Going saturday, so I'll be swinging by BP and will be limited to their selection.  Hopefully, I'm not too late and they still have a decent selection ,bc I've noticed they always run out of everything as season starts.
Any other tips about loads, etc?

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,662 Captain

Pinman said:
    Ive never shot anything with my ML but based on what ive read and recommendation from those who have used them I stopped loading the Powerbelts and went with Hornady SSTs. You might want to check into it. Powerbelts have lots of bad reviews.

Cracker23 said:
    Barnes bullets are hard to beat for accuracy, controlled expansion, and penetration.

CrashDuck said:
    I have killed with Powerbeats but they were tough tracks. No blood. 

Do yourself a favor and get something better. I have had good results with Thompson super glides with shockwave bullets. 

I enjoyed the report.

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,434 Officer
    I shot 4 deer with powerbelts.
    None of them had an exit wound( and zero blood trail) Last one I shot twice even. Once at 10 yards and one hail mary at 150. Hit right and He dropped luckily. Zero blood.
     I shoot the hornadys now.
     I connected 3 yrs ago and it was a clean pass thru and made me feel better. That’s the extent of my pb experience.
    other than that: 100 grains is PLENTY, and keep everything you need to reload in your shirt pocket. EVERYTHING ( including a couple extra primers).
    Good luck to you.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,310 Captain
    edited October 9 #4

Amazon can probably, maybe, get what you need dropped at your door before the hunt. BUT... they wont be what you zero'd your gun in with and that can make a difference.

Im no Deer hunting guru or even at the level as high as a wannabe, but it was drilled into my head while I was young - use the same brand, bullet weight, that you have sighted your gun in with while hunting.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,805 Admiral
    You better..
    I've sighted my Smoke pole in with Powerbelts..Been using them for years. I tried the TC Maxi Hunters..still got 2 full boxes..but they'd fly all over the Target.
    I'd rather hit him and not have a blood trail that flat miss him.
    Haven't lost a Buck yet with Powerbelts in 15 years.
    Double Lung and they will fall pretty quick.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    They are reliably accurate, I will give them that.
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 230 Deckhand
    80 gr. Blackhorn powder and hornady or shockwave 250 gr. works for me out of that gun. Should have all that at bass pro and some wal-marts.
    Total Pass Thru ?
    In Theory a Round should expend all it's Energy in the Target..Not the Stump 20 ft.' behind it. 
    Them Power belts certainly do that.
    Shotgun Slugs are about the same...No Pass thru a lot of times... But they hit you like a Mack Truck.
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    Powerbelts break into pieces.  Bullets aren't supposed to do that.  That makes for a gut shot deer that wasn't gut shot.
    And tore up meat.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,459 AG
    shot 7 deer with powerbelts, all dropped pretty quick, didn't lose any.

I shot my first ml deer with barnes, dropped that 7 poiny like he had been hit with a train, 15 yards.

Then he got up and ran off, blood all over where he fell but none after, had to get a friend with a dog, buck ran almost 200 yards into a pond..
    I punched it into his heart, no pass thru but he still got up and ran..

I like shoulder shots for a reason.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • James243James243 Posts: 765 Officer
    I'm glad all of you aren't buying up the bullet I like to use, the hornady 385gr Great Plains.  I has worked great on everything from elk and sambar to armadillo. Do I get penetration, expansion, accuracy? Yes, yes, and yes. I'm only trying to shoot up to a hundred yards with open sights though, it is "primitive weapon" season after all. 
    I had the aerotips completely explode at least twice.
    Sure will kill them quickly but boy what a mess.
    Never tried the HP’s ,maybe they are better .
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,346 Captain
    Everyone is different. I’m still killing them with Powerbelts (Wolf) and round balls (Hawkin). I like accuracy with the PBs. A heart or lung shot has worked very well over the years. Furthest tracking was about 60 yds. I may pick up some of the other brands so I can speak with experience on them down the road. Good luck!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    For what it is worth an easy place to keep 2 primers in quick reach is in the screw holes on the butt stock of the gun. Easy to find in the heat of the moment
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 185 Deckhand
    I havent used Powerbelts, but have shot a lot of deer with the 250 grain Shockwave.  They are super accurate in my gun and have never lost one.  Always get pass through and their lungs are turned to jello.  Accuracy and taking a good shot is most important.  Good luck and hope you kill a big one!
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,795 Admiral
    Never had a problem w my Hornady .45 cal round balls, its just the smoke ploom I've got issues with
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 310 Deckhand
    Never had a problem w my Hornady .45 cal round balls, its just the smoke ploom I've got issues with
    If you can use the Blackhorn powder it eliminates a lot of smoke. I think it has used with a closed breech rifle
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,795 Admiral
    I still own and use an old school Hawkens, but won a brand new Hi tech one w a scope and all the latest advancements and havent fired it 1x.. however the shotgun muzzleoaders are unreal. Reached out on a doe one day with one at about 50yds and rolled her
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 311 Deckhand
    over 10 years using powerbelts with 2   50 grain pellets     very accurate and don,t remember ever losing a deer    couple hogs lost but no deer         last buck i shot with muzzleloader was      133 yds    ran less than 50yds.     
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,123 Officer

Lost too many hogs with powerbelts.     Not a fan!   Sometimes they hold toghether and sometimes shatter and ruin allot of meat.. 

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

On the same note I had a 150 grain 7mm Federal Premium round fragment last year and open up the stomach on a well placed double lung shot deer.  I killed 3 with powerbelts with no issues before one fragmented and failed to exit.  Last year was the first time I've had a rifle round do it, but I ain't taking my chances with powerbelts anymore.  1 out of 4 isn't worth it, and I had a couple I thought missed with iron sights on my ML using powerbelts that may have been hits for all I know.
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I don't think I've ever seen such inconsistent reviews of anything as I have muzzle loading bullets. Here's my inconsistent review for what it's worth.

I've shot several deer with shockwaves (which I'm 99% sure is the same as the Hornady SST) I found them all, but there wasn't much blood to follow. I don't think I've ever shot a ML that shot them bad. I went to the Barnes TMZ a few years ago. They shoot just as good as the Shockwaves, but both deer I have shot with them left a good blood trail.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,299 Officer
    edited October 10 #24
    Just got mine out and made sure it was still on...t/c omega, 100 grains triple 7, 250 grain shockwave at 100yards....👌
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,123 Officer
    Anybody tried the new Hornady FPB?    Picked some up.  haven't shot em yet

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,435 Captain
    Just got mine out and made sure it was still on...t/c omega, 100 grains triple 7, 250 grain shockwave at 100yards....👌
    I think you're ready.
    Iron sights, right??
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,299 Officer
    These eyes wouldn’t work with open sights at that distance anymore....Nikon 3-9x40.
    I single lunged a 7 point last year at 15 feet. 5 Feet in front of my Ladder Stand....Straight Down , just a brown spot in my Scope.
    Powerbelts. He went about 150 yards with some blood and it was all foamy so I knew I had him..just had to Track him a bit and I kinda like that anyways. 
    Found him in knee deep water with his head laying on a log..Head and Horns was what I saw...
    Powerbelts did their job and I did mine...
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I love my Omega. It sure does shoot good. I went from 777 to blackhorn this year. It's a little cleaner, but the real reason I swapped is Walmart had cans of blackhorn marked down to $18 so I bought a couple. I also put a leupold vx2 on it with a custom CDS dial. I haven't played with it much, but I zeroed it at 100 then moved a target to 200 and cranked the dial to 2. It produced a 2.5" group just to the right of the bulls eye about 3 inches. There was a steady cross wind from left to right , so I called it good.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 377 Deckhand
    These eyes wouldn’t work with open sights at that distance anymore....Nikon 3-9x40.
    For the price especially and quality my opinion those scopes are hard to beat.  I have a couple other higher powered scopes that cost significantly more and have had all of them on each barrel at one time or another. Now those higher powered ones collect dust and I just use my Nikon 3×9 -40 for all of them.