Any bay grouper, snapper, cobia reports

just curious how the bite has been
we need more internet money

Replies

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    My buddy has been getting nice catches of mangroves in the bay.  I've also seen the captains coming in with some pretty good catches (mangroves) as well.  No clue on the other two.
    I'll add that there are a ton of spanish in the bay right now.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,204 AG
    Crashing bait pods? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Got some gags in the shipping channel trolling plugs and Mangos of some of the rock piles.  Spanish are everywhere.  
    Everglades 243
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    sounds like fall! Hopefully the thunder storms are becoming less frequent or at least less violent lol

• RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Do people catch the snapper on the actual shipping channel ledges or out in the bay on structure?
    i have caught snapper on structure away from the channel ledges and away from the bridge, i imagine they are all over the bay just have to hit the right spots/tides/bait
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Catch snapper on both the ship chanel and any structure in bay
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Most were anchored up on rocks just outside of the ditch yesterday,
    I counted 3dz boats, just a reminder why I don't boat on the weekends!
    some ding **** is trying to get "youtube famous" posting dozens of videos about grouper in the bay....talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

sad part is he breaks off about 10 fish to every 1 he catches
    must not be using the crunch method 
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 412 Deckhand
    some ding **** is trying to get "youtube famous" posting dozens of videos about grouper in the bay....talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

While I tend to agree, how many of his viewers do you think actually have the means to target those fish?
  • notfragilenotfragile Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks to the Youtube guy, I was one of the 3+ dozen or so fishing the ledge in the bay.  Never fished the bay in the 20 years I've lived here. I live about an hour north and trailered down.  Zero idea of where to find bait or the ledge.
    Got lucky and blacked out both rear wells, found the "fleet" (youtube guy was there too).  4 of us on the boat and limited out on Mangos on one side of the tide, largest being 20"  And sure, you're taking a chance at losing a few with 20 Lb leader, but it makes a difference.  One of the guys on my boat was fishing 30 and had zero hits until he switched to 20. 
  • tesilentialtesilential Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I'll see y'all out there this weekend lol.
    SuperMutu said:

While I tend to agree, how many of his viewers do you think actually have the means to target those fish?
    some, but the ones who dont are even worse. they will be the ones to do some dumb stuff like tie to a buoy or anchor in the channel and **** off a big ship and have the coast guard come check everyone and make it a hassle.
  • NewwtNewwt Posts: 115 Deckhand
    You guys talking about Todd on the Tampa bay fishing channel? His videos are awesome and informative. stop being babies.
  • greg123168greg123168 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Newwt said:
    You guys talking about Todd on the Tampa bay fishing channel? His videos are awesome and informative. stop being babies.
    I have watched all his videos and yes they are great videos....but....yeah its brought out alot of people that normally dont fish there. I was on my way to joes island and decided to take a look out there...and wow the amount of boats out there was ridiculous..talk about putting pressure on them fish..wow..and no telling how many fish are being kept.
    2018 shearwater 27
  • NewwtNewwt Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Yeah, I personally put more blame on FWC shutting down trout, red, and snook till 2020 for no reason. Im sure once they catch on they will end up making gag season even shorter than it is now.
    Newwt said:
    Yeah, I personally put more blame on FWC shutting down trout, red, and snook till 2020 for no reason. Im sure once they catch on they will end up making gag season even shorter than it is now.
    Ya, that's how the govt works, always a day late and dollar short
    With the ARS mini season the next three weekends maybe less boats in the ditch
  • BfiBfi Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    I noticed a whole lot more boats in the background of his latest video than those in the past
  • SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 90 Greenhorn
    Always wondered why I never saw him out there, then I found out he fishes weekends mostly.  :)  Have only done that a couple times, it was a couple times too many.  Weekends will be even worse now.....  Have fun out there!
  • tesilentialtesilential Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    With the ARS mini season the next three weekends maybe less boats in the ditch

Went out with my buddy who learned from the youtube guy and has been limiting out on nice ones up to 20". There were actually only a 4 or 5 boats spread out over the area on saturday.  We also really struggled finding white bait on the way down from the gandy and just had a couple dozens pins.

Got a few shorts reds and gags, couple of grunts and a barely legal flounder which I threw back.  No mangos at all!  We were quiet surprised. We fished the outgoing from 9-12pm and chased birds and mackeral for a bit but the schools were spooky.
  • RJMurphy4142RJMurphy4142 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Are we talking about the Tampa bay fishing channel guy?
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 667 Officer
    Facebook and YouTube videos will be the demise of Tampa Bay fishing. I've been trolling for Gags for nearly 20yrs, a third of which we nearly all to myself to the West of the Skyway. Winter time Gags were a pile of Chum and a few frozen sardines on n the Port Manatee Reef. Facebook, spot lock trolling motors, a whole new level of "pro staffers" and the amounts not of guides pushing kill shots has definitely brought is some unwanted attention. 
    Will Tampa's shipping channel become the next Weedon Island? 
  • BfiBfi Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    Facebook and YouTube videos will be the demise of Tampa Bay fishing. I've been trolling for Gags for nearly 20yrs, a third of which we nearly all to myself to the West of the Skyway. Winter time Gags were a pile of Chum and a few frozen sardines on n the Port Manatee Reef. Facebook, spot lock trolling motors, a whole new level of "pro staffers" and the amounts not of guides pushing kill shots has definitely brought is some unwanted attention. 
    Will Tampa's shipping channel become the next Weedon Island? 
    Still learning about the area. When you say the next weedon island what are you referring too? Was weedon island once a secret?