Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

What size trolling motor do you have??

What size trolling motor do you have and on what boat?

Replies

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 462 Deckhand
    24 Volt Rhodan with 72 inch shaft on 22 foot nauticstar 2200XS center console 
  • Valhalla01Valhalla01 North Florida Posts: 20 Deckhand
    How many pounds of thrust is the Rhodan 
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 59 Deckhand
    Rohdan’ 84” 120 thrust on a Hydra Sport 2390. Works Great!
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,849 Captain
    shallowv said:
    24 Volt Rhodan with 72 inch shaft on 22 foot nauticstar 2200XS center console 
    This, but on a Dusky 217. Mine has 80lbs of thrust.

• gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 654 Officer
    Boat Key West 1720 Sportsman Trolling Motor Motorguide Xi5 80 lb. Thrust
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    23 Contender with an 80#-72" Rhodan.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    19’5 SeaFox tunnel(2003),2016 Yamaha 115, 80lb-24 volt minnkota ulterra.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 749 Officer
    Cracker23 said:
    23 Contender with an 80#-72" Rhodan.
    How's that working for you? I've got the same boat and planning to put an 84" 36 volt on it.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    It holds pretty good. I've had one day that it wouldn't hold, I was probably overloaded and on a moon tide with 3 ft GOM seas(choppy). The reason I didn't go with the 36 volt is because of weight and space. I had the batteries mounted in the front anchor locker which makes for short effecient cables. I don't think you will need the 84" shaft as I have no problems with cavitation. One thing you can do if you are having problems holding is use the boat engine to help the trolling motor, just put it in gear and let the trolling motor steer.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    edited October 2019 #11
    The 84" works on vessels as big as the 37 Freeman, 36 Yellowfin and 35 Contender in fair weather. Seas larger than two feet and it will begin to cavitate. This isnt hearsay, its experience. On your 23, you can literally fish a gale in 4' seas. Again, I know this for a fact.

We do more custom installs on large vessels than anyone, and would love to help. If you compare our work to others, you will see we are unmatched in the industry. 

Boattronics- 904-545-1270

Rhodan build time is currently 3 weeks and we are less than two. If you are in a hurry,  I have them in stock. 
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • JoeCoolJoeCool Posts: 123 Deckhand
    MK Ulterra 80# 60" on 1985 Mako 17 Classic
  • ColoradoWaltColoradoWalt Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Rhodan 36volt 110# 84" shaft on 23 Seacraft
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    60" Terrova 24V on KW 176cc
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 310 Deckhand
    The 84" works on vessels as big as the 37 Freeman, 36 Yellowfin and 35 Contender in fair weather. Seas larger than two feet and it will begin to cavitate. This isnt hearsay, its experience. On your 23, you can literally fish a gale in 4' seas. Again, I know this for a fact.

We do more custom installs on large vessels than anyone, and would love to help. If you compare our work to others, you will see we are unmatched in the industry. 

Boattronics- 904-545-1270

Rhodan build time is currently 3 weeks and we are less than two. If you are in a hurry,  I have them in stock. 
    Tony,

I’ve got a 29’ Everglades cc.  What would you recommend and any ballpark on an out the door price?  Ballpark only, need to figure out how much I have to prepare mama to accept.  Very tired of trying to anchor in 120’.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • LouDLouD Posts: 168 Deckhand
    I have a 25.5 Wellcraft with a high bow and generally fish 50 miles offshore in 3 ft or less seas. I have a Rhodan 36 volt with 84 inch shaft. Only once did it drift due to the motor bouncing out of the water. I would bet it would work fine In your 29 ft boat  boat too. As someone said, in extreme conditions such as fishing the jetties with a fast outgoing tide and a west wind, when a big boat catches the wind, the motor may not be able to hold position. In that situation put one or both main engines in gear at minimum throttle and let the trolling motor do the steering. 
    BoatUS magazine recently reported that Lowrance and Garmin are now building GPS trolling motors and others are adding 84 inch shafts to their lineup, one manufacturer is making a 96 inch shaft. Most are automatically self deploying. Although I love my Rhodan deploying and retrieving the long shaft by hand can be difficult and levering them up or cruising using the main motors while the trolling motor is still deployed can result in broken shafts. I would seriously consider a 84 inch motor with a self deploying feature. 
    As for cost: Mine cost $3500, 3 huge (70 lbs apiece) batteries cost $900, a top of the line 3 bank charger was $190 and installation was another $250. 
    Yessir, an 84" Rhodan would work great on your 29 Everglades. Please give me a call at 904-545-1270 so we can go over the options, and I can give you an exact price I'll stand behind. 
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 310 Deckhand
    Thanks all for the guidance. Tony, I’ll give you a call to discuss. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 388 Deckhand
    84” rohdan   2860 procat
  • onelegoneleg SE GA & NE FLPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    Ran a '11 Glasstream 228 TE with a 24V 80# Minn Kota I-Pilot w/o any issues for 8 years.   
    Conquering challenges & living life with no limits.:cool:
    Capt. Diane Pollock
  • thornsby82thornsby82 Posts: 19 Deckhand
    I have a 36 volt 112 lb minnkota i-pilot. My boat is a 24 CC sea chaser offshore.  i have used it offshore in 3 ft with no issues.  I used it at st. Aug jetties with no problem. They are a blessing.  I did the install myself, pretty basic.
  • triumphricktriumphrick Posts: 560 Officer
    What is the minimum battery size for a 36V 84" Rhodan?

I can squeeze three group 34's which are 60 A/H batteries in the compartment I have.

Will they work?
    "RICK'S REEL SERVICE, IT'S MORE THAN REPAIRS"

http://RICKSREELSERVICE.COM
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 55 Deckhand
    What is the minimum battery size for a 36V 84" Rhodan?

I can squeeze three group 34's which are 60 A/H batteries in the compartment I have.

Will they work?

If you are able to use the 34 series batteries, check out the V-max 34 series, they are 75ah batteries.
    edited January 1 #24
    Group 31 AGM's with 100ah is our standard. 3 of these will power a Rhodan on a boat over 30' all day long. 10hrs plus in great weather, 6 in weather bad enough to stay at full blast the whole time. We sell them for $250 each.

If space or weight is an issue, its time to upgrade to Lithium. They are 15lbs each and one third the size. Normal weight savings on a 36v setup is almost 200lbs. The lithium upgrade on a 36v system adds about $1300.

A 100ah agm or lead acid battery is roughly the equivalent of a 50ah lithium battery when it comes to real world use. Because voltage quickly drops as normal batteries discharge, you may get to use 60ah for conversation sake, before voltage is too low. A lithium on the other hand, provides thier full voltage until the battery is completely discharged, using the entire 50ah.

We install more custom systems on large boats than the other guys, and rewire more boats than everyone in n. Florida put together. Its our specialty to design and install the ultimate charging and battery systems for your particular vessel, during custom installations. We know every trick there is to get you top performance!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 749 Officer
    edited January 1 #25
    Updating in hopes this may help someone one day...

I installed an 84", 36 volt Rhodan trolling motor on my Contender 23 Open, and I couldn't be happier for how it's performed in the river. I've fished the jetties and docks near the inlet in some pretty swift current and haven't had a problem holding position. I'm glad I went big as opposed to seeing whether the 24-volt or shorter shaft version would work.

I was able to fit 3 Group 31 batteries under the console in trays. I have the factory console as opposed to the oversized console from the 23T that some owners have installed. It was a tight fit, and I considered installing Group 27s, but I'm glad I made the big ones work. 

I had Mike Manier install the motor mount in the port corner of the bow, as opposed to the very front of the bow, so that it can easily be deployed and retracted while standing with both feet on the deck. No excessive leaning or tippy toes required. This also prevented me from having to reinstall my nav lights.The deck is sloped, but he was able to make it fit by adding some spacers out of starboard under the aluminum plate. I'd have Mike do it again in a heart beat.