Freshwater bait in the Gulf.??

dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,023 Admiral
I would imagine this wouldn't be legal, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has tried it. I've got a pond that is WAY overstocked with bass. Instead of catching them and throwing them on the bank for the coons (they are almost too small to clean), could I freeze them and take them offshore for bait? I'm guessing if I got checked I would be possession of under-sized as well as over limit bass. Would the fact that they came out of a private pond matter? I would call FWC, but every time I call them with a question, I don't have lot of confidence in the person I'm talking with actually knowing the law. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.

Replies

• Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    there are too many other legal options to even consider it
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 920 Officer
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I would call FWC, but every time I call them with a question, I don't have lot of confidence in the person I'm talking with actually knowing the law. !

Are you calling Tallahassee? Never had that issue myself and it's the nicest group.

Probably illegal to use for reasons you've already mentioned. Curious - what would you target with them?
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • DocGlennDocGlenn Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Butter-fly them for grouper and snapper?

I don't like to waste anything or kill anything for no reason, except coyotes, I'll kill a coyote with a smile every time, but I've got a real problem with bass being over-stocked and because of this, I have a whole lot of 10-12" bass that are really too small to eat. I'm just trying to find a good use for them since I really don't want to feed the coons, but I don't want to get busted for a game violation trying get my pond in balance.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,023 Admiral
    BTW, this was a cut and paste from the NW forum for another member.

I prefer hand sized chunks of scaled tarpon for grouper bait, myself.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • breambream Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    I'd imagine it's illegal to use bass as bait in saltwater. It's illegal to do so in freshwater. From the FWC's website:

Black bass, peacock bass or any part thereof may not be used as bait.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/regulations/taking-bait/
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,298 Officer
    Grind them up and use them as chum !
    Giimoozaabi
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    No restrictions in Federal Waters.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    You can use freshwater baitfish for bait in Saltwater. Just not regulated species. 

Go catch a few big catfish for that pond. They'll make quick work of your undersized bass problem. 
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,139 Officer
    No restrictions in Federal Waters.
    Nice to hear from you Allan. I hope all is well with you.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,197 Admiral
    edited October 7 #11
    Allan's post is 4 years old though. I think he retired. No one else has had the courage to step up to the plate. You will find that a lot of LEO's feel that anything in writing can come back to haunt them. As you know a lot of laws are written to have a gray area so they can be adjudicated in court. Keeps the money flowing.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,139 Officer
    Thanks. Didn't look at date.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain