U.S.. INTERSTATE SYSTEM

13»

Replies

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,246 Captain
    edited October 2019 #62
    I always jump off 40 and get on old 66 thru some of the towns like Tucumcari to eat. Love the old diners. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 9,977 Admiral
    Nice. I haven’t been out there in at least15 years. Good to see it again.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 9,977 Admiral
    Going through Tijeras canyon before 40 existed was a wild ride.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,921 AG
    I remember when I75 ended in ocala..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Road trips used to be grand.  Seems like everyone is looking for getting away from the maddening crowds.  Heard the other day there's tremendous interest by the mileneals in camping and the outdoors.  It's one of the top expenditures this segment of the population is making today... Here's a fact.  If you have a special place you enjoy for peace and quiet, you better not tell anyone anywhere. If you do, someone for sure will put it out for the world to run and see.  "If you love it, speak (post) nothing of it."
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,771 Admiral
    Never been out west on land. N.O. LA furthest I've been. DC furthest north.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    You need to make a road trip.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,246 Captain
    stc1993 said:
    You need to go out west. Your missing a lot. 

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,710 Captain
    Parkerboy said:

The highway system gave rise to the chain fastfood industry, stores such as Walmart, and chain motels. All of these destroyed privately owned restaurants and cafes and their regional and unique foods plus jobs for waitresses/cooks etc.

We eat at privately owned restaurants and cafe's all of the time. They seem to be everywhere.

I'm also in my 50's, and remember, when I was a small kid, my Dad driving us in to downtown Jacksonville to go shopping. It was to go shopping at the big chain retailers like Sears, and JC Penney. Those two stores eventually moved out to the area I lived in, and we stopped going to town. If anything killed downtowns, it was suburbanization of America.

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,222 Captain

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,222 Captain
    hatcity said:

old faithful-yellowstone
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Parkerboy said:

The highway system gave rise to the chain fastfood industry, stores such as Walmart, and chain motels. All of these destroyed privately owned restaurants and cafes and their regional and unique foods plus jobs for waitresses/cooks etc.

We eat at privately owned restaurants and cafe's all of the time. They seem to be everywhere.

I'm also in my 50's, and remember, when I was a small kid, my Dad driving us in to downtown Jacksonville to go shopping. It was to go shopping at the big chain retailers like Sears, and JC Penney. Those two stores eventually moved out to the area I lived in, and we stopped going to town. If anything killed downtowns, it was suburbanization of America.
    I was speaking specifically about the demise of small towns.
    Deo Vindice
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,092 AG
    surfman said:
    Yea, when i was a kid we took our vacation in WV where my grand parents lived, took 41 or 441 all the way it seemed. Took 2 days to get there but we were pulling a camper and usually stopped at a camp ground along the way. I still like to take that route if the interstate is heavy, it takes longer for sure but that's okay. I haven't really done that drive in a long time though and fortunately don't need to use I-75 very often either but, I do hate to see the ever increasing traffic and population growth. I hate Disney world.

It was a pop-up Starcraft camper, thing was really nice too.
    Please shut your sausage hole
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    I have learned new routes to avoid 75 when next in Florida. Thanks  I forwarded to my brothers and cousins in GA who travel FL often.
    Deo Vindice