ARS Season is back on!!!!

Just got this in the mail box.  Now just praying for good weather.. B)

Red snapper – Gulf fall season

Private recreational and state for-hire season gets 6 extra days

Information: The season for private recreational anglers and state for-hire operations will be open on the following Saturdays and Sundays: Oct. 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 and 27. Private recreational anglers may harvest red snapper in state and federal waters; however, state for-hire operations are limited to fishing for red snapper in Gulf state waters only.

This fall season opening is based on Gulf Reef Fish Survey data indicating that approximately 75% of Florida’s 2019 quota was harvested during the June 11–July 12 season and that a six-day fall weekend season is warranted. The Gulf Reef Fish Survey was developed specifically to provide more robust data for management of red snapper and other important reef fish, and has allowed FWC the unprecedented opportunity to manage Gulf red snapper in state and federal waters.

All anglers fishing from private recreational vessels must sign up annually as a Gulf Reef Fish Angler to target red snapper and several other reef fish in Gulf state and federal waters (excluding Monroe County), even if they are exempt from fishing license requirements. Sign up as a Gulf Reef Fish Angler at no cost at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com or by visiting any location you can purchase a license. Gulf Reef Fish Anglers may receive a questionnaire in the mail regarding their reef fish trips as part of Florida’s Gulf Reef Fish Survey. If you receive a survey, please respond whether you fished this season or not.

For-hire operations that do not have a federal reef fish permit must have State Gulf Reef Fish Charter on their license to target red snapper and other reef fish in Gulf state waters (excluding Monroe County). This can be done at no cost at a local tax collector’s office.

Links for more information:

Snapper [MyFWC.com]

Replies

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,571 Captain
    Short notice, but I hope to get out once or twice.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
     B) 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Hoping I'll be good enough to go out. Had my boat serviced and checked (even though I didn't go out much tis year) Its all ready to go.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,233 AG
    You guys have fun with it, we can't seem to get out far enough to get em in my bay boat. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Yea, I rarely go out far enough any more, pretty much satisfied with the inshore fishing I do most of the time. I doo need to go out and get a king or two for the smoker though.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    surfman said:
    Yea, I rarely go out far enough any more, pretty much satisfied with the inshore fishing I do most of the time. I doo need to go out and get a king or two for the smoker though.
    That's one of my goals this fall when they start running.    Best blackened fish tacos you can get. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,015 Captain
    edited October 3 #8
    surfman said:
    That's one of my goals this fall when they start running.    Best blackened fish tacos you can get. 
    Man, I’m going to have to politely disagree with you on that one brother. I can name a pile of fish that taste better than a blackened king, but I guess it’s a preference thing.......  How deep have you been looking for em (Ars)? we are consistently catching them in 50’  on the big bend. Went out 2-3 weeks ago ( in my 22’ bay boat) and we couldn’t get past the 24-26” fish and got a true sow bottom fishing w a grouper rod. Looking forward to another 3 weekends
    You should have been here yesterday
    surfman said:
    Man, I’m going to have to politely disagree with you on that one brother. I can name a pile of fish that taste better than a blackened king, but I guess it’s a preference thing.......  How deep have you been looking for em (Ars)? we are consistently catching them in 50’  on the big bend. Went out 2-3 weeks ago ( in my 22’ bay boat) and we couldn’t get past the 24-26” fish and got a true sow bottom fishing w a grouper rod. Looking forward to another 3 weekends
    We went out to a reef from Johns pass that was in 100 FOW I believe it was Treasure Island II(26 miles).   I have been out to Bendickson Reef before but that was only about 26'.   That's about 17 miles out.    I'll be honest 17-20miles is about as comfortable as I"ll go and we were happy this weekend catching grouper coming shallow and spanish macks.  

On the blackened king, what I did was left the fish on ice for 24hrs, then cleaned it and blackened it.   I've had Mahi Tacos and they were good, haven't really had a bad fish taco lol but the family liked king the best.   But i'm never afraid to try different ones.   
    Man, I can’t believe you couldn’t find em in 100’... we have to go out 30-40 miles to get to 70’. And that are thick between 50’ and 70’... so thick you can’t get a bait past them 
    When we went it was back in June and it had been hot, the reports that came in said people were getting them in 110-120'.  I didn't want to risk moving further out, and that was smart because when i got back i filled the tank to check my fuel usage (fuel gauge doesn't work) i  had 5 gallons left.   
  • M4RealM4Real Posts: 130 Deckhand
    We caught a bunch of monsters last week. Will be heading back to same location to catch them again. 
    edited October 3 #13
    When we went it was back in June and it had been hot, the reports that came in said people were getting them in 110-120'.  I didn't want to risk moving further out, and that was smart because when i got back i filled the tank to check my fuel usage (fuel gauge doesn't work) i  had 5 gallons left.   
    Ooh 5 gal is cutting it dangerously close esp if weather pops up. Glad you made it.....Are you chunking/chumming?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,553 AG
    Man, I can’t believe you couldn’t find em in 100’... we have to go out 30-40 miles to get to 70’. And that are thick between 50’ and 70’... so thick you can’t get a bait past them 
    they were decimated here by the rec herds inside of 70' last two years...

you don't have the population of fishers in your area like here.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,553 AG
    seriously

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    If they were decimated, why did they give the recs more days.
    Ooh 5 gal is cutting it dangerously close esp if weather pops up. Glad you made it.....Are you chunking/chumming?
    We were just drifting cigar minnows at the time i didn't have a decent anchor.  100 bucks later i got a 13lb mantis off craigslist that is completely amazing.   
    We were just drifting cigar minnows at the time i didn't have a decent anchor.  100 bucks later i got a 13lb mantis off craigslist that is completely amazing.   
    Chucking and chumming seem to really make a difference 
    Chucking and chumming seem to really make a difference 
    Just chucking baits or chucking big hunks of chum?   Not a technique i'm familiar with. 
    For  chum I use a chum churn and throw some chunks of cut bait ( like the one with your unweighted hook it it) every few minutes. I like so send my bait down with 6-7 chunks at a time
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Freeline a live shrimp on a yellowtail jig...
    Picman said:
    Freeline a live shrimp on a yellowtail jig...
    Aren’t red snapper considered reef fish? Only circle hooks are legal for reef fish, right?
    Circle hooks are required when using bait. Jigs are legal, just can't tip with bait. In my experience, once you get ARS feeding, they will bite anything. 3 yrs ago we got them feeding and we're watching them attack our sinkers, we actually caught 2 or 3 on a bare hook.
    Cracker23 said:
    Circle hooks are required when using bait. Jigs are legal, just can't tip with bait. In my experience, once you get ARS feeding, they will bite anything. 3 yrs ago we got them feeding and we're watching them attack our sinkers, we actually caught 2 or 3 on a bare hook.
    Right, so freelining a shrimp on a yellow tail jig like picman suggested is illegal? Or using chunks of dead bait on a jig is also illegal? That’s how I interpret the law, but wasnt 100% sure
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,516 Captain
    The rules are straightforward.  You can't tip a jig with bait unless it has a circle hook.

But in reality, how can anyone tell that you aren't fishing for mackerel unless they see you catch a fish?
    I've been on the Hubbard's boat and the mates were showing us how to rig a double J-hook rig for catching Mangrove snapper. I thought it was kind of ironic because they had FWC biologist on board for the trip.
    edited October 10 #27
    The rules are straightforward.  You can't tip a jig with bait unless it has a circle hook.

But in reality, how can anyone tell that you aren't fishing for mackerel unless they see you catch a fish?
    We were fishing for spanish macs a few weeks ago.  If i had happened to catch something else, so be it  
    edited October 10 #28

Have you ever seen the Florida fishing report? Rick Murphy is always showing off those yellow hook up jig heads for yellow tail snapper fishing. Are yellowtail not considered reef fish? They are called yellowtail jigs for goodness sake. I know people do it, but wasn’t sure of the legality. Personally I like my bait to sink at the same rate as the chunks that I toss out, so unweighted hook and pull the line off the spool by hand until line starts ripping off the spool..
    I think any fwc officer that would take that ( no wire and a short shank hook on 30lb fluro ) as a mackerel rig isn’t much of a saltwater fisherman, just sayin
    edited October 10 #29
    The law isn't being enforced because it is unenforceable.  They would need to catch you in the act and most LEOs never bother to check your rig.  They are just interested in out of season, over the limit, or offsized fish. 

It's also stupid since non-offset circle hooks are allowed in Federal water.  In my experience, I see more gut hooked and gill raker hooked fish with non-offset circles than with J hooks.  Non-offset circles are much harder to remove than J hooks and likely cause more mortality. 

Offset circle hooks are not allowed in Florida water.  But since the law is not enforceable,  most people use offsets since they are the most common type of circle hook available.   You get a lot of redfish hooked in the gill and crusher area with offset circle hooks. 

edited October 10 #30
    Then why have a law? And why would you put how do do it on tv? I’m sure I could find a yellowtail article in fs “teaching” the same tactic 
    Then why have a law?

Because a few studies that were done mostly on striped bass showed reduced mortality with circle hooks.  Florida went along with the Feds as usual. 

There are lots of stupid fisheries laws that get corrected after additional data.  An example is the requirement to have a deflator device on board.  Further studies showed that in the hands of untrained people they caused more mortality than just throwing the fish back. 

They'll probably require descenders soon.  Until that they find out that most people won't go through the bother of using them.  At least they'll save a few fish.