Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Before thermocell..

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,799 Captain
edited October 2019 in General Hunting #1
What the **** did you guys do???  I had two burnin this last week and it only kept the mosquitoes to a min.  I was still swattin and goin half crazy from the constant buzzing around my head.  It was relentless.  Almost, made me wonder if they've become immune..
Until the wind picked up and while on the ground, they really seemed to almost not work at all.  Not as bad once I was up a tree it seemed.
There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,847 Captain
    Caked in DEET was the old remedy. It would eat thru equipment and camo. Since I’ve quit using DEET my stuff has lasted a lot longer. I have one set of camo duds that has lasted me over 15 years and still looks good and bright. 
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    I only hunt when the weather is 45 degrees or less. **** those little bloodsuckers.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,799 Captain
    I guess I had just figured deet would smell too much
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,438 Admiral
    edited October 2019 #5
    We swatted, danced, scratched, and hunted in misery...

When I was young and dumber I used to sit and swat until I was black n blue, and had every animal scared away for 200 yd. Then I got smarter and didn't care if I saw a deer or not and started drenching myself in whatever repellant I could find. Even rubbed crushed malelueca leaves on me. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, ever worked in a little WMA named Brown's Farm. The noise those sumbiches made just before dark was enough to drive a sane person  batchit crazy... Then they attacked! 

Later, I used a bug suit, spray, and everything else. I think you become a little numb to them after awhile. 

I discovered thermacell many years ago at 3 lakes in 55 degree weather one evening while waiting with my brother in law for a partner to return to the truck. He fired that thing up and I beheld a miracle. I never looked back, second guessed it, or left it at home. I was a true believer. That was one instance that technology was a irrefutable gain for mankind.
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Agreed DEET was the best thing before therma-cell came along. Some people had very bad reactions to DEET - I knew a family of 5 that suffered badly due to using spray DEET in their house and a lady reporter who wound up in hospital - she really overdid it though by almost bathing in the stuff as recommended by a glades local. I think the advise was facetious and she didn't get it.

Therma Cell states that they don't work so good in windy conditions. Think about it - you're sitting ground; your head is a few feet above the unit; wind blows the vapor away before it gets a foot above the unit. Also IMO the belt pouch they sell isn't a good design since it orients the unit vertically below one's belt which defeats the heat from rising efficiently to heat up the vapor pads. I made a holder (with a cheap strap to secure the unit to it) out of metal that slips under my belt and holds the unit in the horizontal plane and facilitates proper heating of the pads to generate the mosquito repelent vapors that hang around you when in operation.

Have never had a problem over the years with therma-cell working as advertised under the proper conditions (e.g. no wind, slight breeze, dense cover to break wind). In reality it doesn't always stop Every mosquito from bothering us but **** sure helps a lot.

Whether we feel it or not there is almost always some air movement happening - so, always locating your unit upwind if possible is a good habit to have.

Don't give up - they work - at least for me over the last decade or two down here in Big C.

• WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 125 Deckhand
    While a lot of the time a pad will last about 4 hours as stated on the box, some days I need to change them every 1.5- 2 hours.  Just depends.

And don't get them too wet... they don't seem to like that.
  • I have one and they are great but I still mostly use Deet.
    Plus I'm old and Tough as shoe leather.
    Growing up next to the Glades I've been bit since I was Zero years old.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,578 AG
    maxideet was what i used.   drench the hat wit hit, applied to everything pretty much.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    I don't use spray or thermocell.  Crackerblood.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 857 Officer
    Bug tamer outfit, I still use it along with my Thermacell
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,974 AG
    Drinking a shot of Braggs cider vinegar each morning helps a lot with skeeters and you will get zero ticks or chiggers. Takes about 3-4 weeks to start working.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Limit banannas.  Or old wives tale?
  • awayaway Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Bug tamer. Still use today if wind isn't in my favor
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,518 Captain
    micci_man said:
    Drinking a shot of Braggs cider vinegar each morning helps a lot with skeeters and you will get zero ticks or chiggers. Takes about 3-4 weeks to start working.

Have heard this many times
  • WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I was just wondering this very thing last weekend when my trusty, reliable Thermocell decided to not work. The vile blood sucking vampires almost had me convinced to go hunt from the truck. I was thinking, how did I do this before we had themocell's? Someone up above must have heard me because, 852 clicks of the starter later, it lit !! Life was good for about 30 minutes...And then, the no see-um's showed up...  . Will someone please tell me what on earth those little buggers are good for? For the life of me, I can't see what good they contribute to life on our planet. Other than making my life in a tree stand miserable, I just don't get it.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    I remember wrapping up in my plastic poncho one morning. When my old man game to get me he asked me what the hell i was doing. It was all I could think of besides slapping and swatting constantly. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,159 Captain
    We used bug tamers, before bug tamer jackets we just manned up... I got tore up by Chiggers a couple weeks ago, Itch has just started to subside. Topic of thermocells came up at the check station and many people said they don’t work like they did when they first came out, maybe those wafers are made differently now?
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,694 Captain
    I believe its type o blood whichever type is least common apparently only 10-12% of population has this type but for whatever the reason mosquitoes dont like it and rarely will bother you. My wife who is the least outdoorsy person I have ever met has it and if we ever do get outside together it absolutely disgusts me I've got thermacell around my neck belt straps velcroed to my forehead and enough deet to cause cancer on a community and still go inside bit all to _ell. Drives me nuts.  I think that same blood type must promote my __it dont stink too or the world owes me a favor attitude but dang sure wish I had it 
  • Since retiring 4 Months ago and moving to The Big Bend I've been ate up with Chiggers and Seed Ticks. We didn't have either in the Glades.
    I can handle Skeeters...Nobody can handle No See Ums.but their not here. Just the Ticks and Chiggers.
    It's a new Battle for me...Interesting to say the least.
    Just did my first Shot of Vinegar tonight.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 3,058 Captain
    WetBandit said:
    While a lot of the time a pad will last about 4 hours as stated on the box, some days I need to change them every 1.5- 2 hours.  Just depends.

And don't get them too wet... they don't seem to like that.
    I’ve noticed the pads used to last a lot longer, I’ve been changing mine more often the last few seasons
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,150 Captain
    Since retiring 4 Months ago and moving to The Big Bend I've been ate up with Chiggers and Seed Ticks. We didn't have either in the Glades.
    I can handle Skeeters...Nobody can handle No See Ums.but their not here. Just the Ticks and Chiggers.
    Go to farm supply and buy the 10% permethrin for cattle. Get a spray bottle and dilute the stuff to around 1%. Then spray all the clothes you would hunt with while they are hanging outside until they are damp. Let them air dry for at least 4-6 hours, results vary by breeze and humidity. 

Done properly you will never have an issue with chiggers or ticks again. If the application is allowed to dry thoroughly it will last for 4-6 washings before you need to reapply. 

thermacells are almost useless with mosquitos these day. They cut the chemical out IMO. Probably scared somebody will sue them for cancer or something. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,518 Captain
    H20dad said:
    Since retiring 4 Months ago and moving to The Big Bend I've been ate up with Chiggers and Seed Ticks. We didn't have either in the Glades.
    Go to farm supply and buy the 10% permethrin for cattle. Get a spray bottle and dilute the stuff to around 1%. Then spray all the clothes you would hunt with while they are hanging outside until they are damp. Let them air dry for at least 4-6 hours, results vary by breeze and humidity. 

Done properly you will never have an issue with chiggers or ticks again. If the application is allowed to dry thoroughly it will last for 4-6 washings before you need to reapply. 

thermacells are almost useless with mosquitos these day. They cut the chemical out IMO. Probably scared somebody will sue them for cancer or something. 

I do this too but it only works while you are wearing those clothes. Ill probably be trying a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar bc I wear shorts or other clothes around camp. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,150 Captain
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:

I do this too but it only works while you are wearing those clothes. Ill probably be trying a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar bc I wear shorts or other clothes around camp. 
    Spray them all. The bottle of 10% costs $20? You can spray all your socks in reality. They won’t get past your socks. 

Socks and crocs. Haven’t we discussed this already?
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I started out with a repellent called 6-12. It did little except make the finish come off our wooden stocks. We also used Pics at picnics and the drivein movies. We didn't have early archery or mzloading so we weren't sitting still.  We didn't hunt till November when it was somewhat cooler and drier.  When we finally got archery and then Mzloadiing, we had the bug tamers and face mask. Thermocells have been a tremendous asset.  I can remember pulling small seines for bait in tidal areas (early 70s), and being covered with mosquitoes when not wearing a shirt...."You could swing a pint cup and catch a quart of mosquitoes."
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • James243James243 Posts: 843 Officer
    edited October 2019 #28
    Mosquito coils are what I've been using for a long time. The smoke lets you keep an eye on the wind.  
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,183 Officer
    Deet was al there was a but any kind of head net worked. Then permethrin came along.  It will keep everything off your close including mosquitoes . Thermacell was certainly the icing on the cake but you still have to hunt the wind no matter what you're using or bathing in or hanging around your stand or spraying on you boots or packing your clothes in or whatever else we've spent money on trying to trick those dang noses.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    James243 said:
    Mosquito coils are what I've been using for a long time. The smoke lets you keep an eye on the wind.  
    The active chemical in the mosquito coils (Pic brand) is the same as the Thermacell pads, or use to be. I haven't checked in years. The coils are a lot cheaper but don't set the woods on fire with them.
  • Grove1Grove1 Posts: 88 Deckhand
    H20dad said:

Yes, I use the Martin's permethrin concentrate (I buy from Amazon) and mix my own and spray and soak all my hunting clothes and have zero ticks. I think is usually lasts for about 6 weeks or 6 washes so you have to re-apply it every so often, but it works great. Just wear rubber gloves and don't get it on your skin when it is in liquid form. Once it drys, it's safe. But it is a gamechanger for ticks. I don't think it really does much for mosquitos though.