Minn Kota trolling motor question.

FlatheadfishermanFlatheadfisherman Posts: 803 Officer
I am looking into buying a Minn Kota Riptide SP 55 for my J16 Carolina Skiff. It is set up as a stick steer so I set towards the front of the boat. I want to either get a wireless foot pedal or one with the long cable so I can sit where I sit while running when I am using the trolling motor. Has anyone used one of these and how are they? Thank you.

-Bob

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,516 Captain
    Go with the wireless iPilot with built in GPS. You won't regret it. The anchor lock feature alone is worth the extra cost.

I have one on my J16 and it works great. I can steer from anywhere or let it follow a recorded course.
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    Ive used them many times. The first one I had was foot controlled on the bow. There foot controllers come with a 8-10ft cord...something like that....its long!

The second one I had was a riptide co pilot also with the foot control. They ordered the wrong one so I got the co pilot for free:) Liked it.

They come in two different shaft lengths...make sure you get the correct shaft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    I have a MK riptide on my 16 foot jon boat. Remote control with I pilot. It IS worth it's weight in gold in my opinion. Wide open it pulls my boat around 9 mph. I use to have my boat set up with stick steer. Had a motor guide foot control, served it's purpose. The remote is alot more useful. Heck you can even wade in the water and have your boat follow you!! I think you'll like the I pilot. Most people seam to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    I agree...the iPilot is awesome. Not all of us can afford it though. Its all I can do to afford a trolling motor at all. If you can afford it go for the ipilot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    I agree...the iPilot is awesome. Not all of us can afford it though. Its all I can do to afford a trolling motor at all. If you can afford it go for the ipilot.

I deffinataly agree. I shopped on eBay for months to find my riptide. I bought it used from a guy in Tampa, not a scratch on it.....it was the co-pilot model. Got it for around 300 or so. Then shopped for the I pilot. Had to settle for full price on it, but still had less than a brand new.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat