New boat

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 323 Deckhand
If you guys were going to buy a second boat, say 24’ to keep down here what would it be? I was looking at the 24 Morada and Young 24. If Frank built a 24 I wouldn’t be asking.

Replies

• smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 86 Greenhorn
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,206 AG
    Everglades 243
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 711 Officer
    If it was to go with an Egret, I’d be looking for a 24 CC with a deep v. There wouldn’t be much you couldn’t do with that combo. 
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 323 Deckhand
    Thanks for the input. I’m thinking about leaving the Moccasin on Long Island and getting a 24 bay boat to keep down here. My new plan is to fish out of Fishing Resorts around Florida and perhaps other Gulf Coast states for a couple of years after retirement. I’d keep the boat on a trailer in Pompano where our condo is until I decide to relocate to a more Fishermen friendly town. Who knows I may be satisfied Traveling to and fishing out of Resorts, then I’d just keep the condo in Pompano and of course my home on Long Island.
    Anyway, thanks for the input.

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Look at the Blackjack 256 or BIllfish 24. I saw the Billfish 24 at the West Palm Beach boat show. It looked pretty nice. I'm not sure that I like the leaning post baitwell. Can't see on how to load it without moving the seat. I'd also have to ride it to see if it works for me.

The Blackjack looks like it has higher sides than the Billfish. It's a production boat, I've never seen one. I've spent time on the Kenner Vision 22 which is similar and it performs very well. 

There's a lot of nice boats in this size range...Pete  

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 516 Officer
    Vinny,

Since you're looking to the leave the Egret up north, essentially the fact that have it is kind of irrlevant to your boating needs down in FL.  What you're asking is what's the best boat for down here.  That really depends on where in FL but obviosuly everyone here including me already thought an Egret was the right answer. 

That being said, there is no shortage of 23-25' boats to choose from if you're looking for a little bigger boat.

3 pretty different style boats but the East Cape 25 Bay, Sheafer 240, or Albury Brothers 23 are all boats I would like to have.  

Pete
    I fished a Black jack in Charleston SC. Nice boat, road on rails and fast. 

Chad
    Don’t get me wrong, I love the Moc. I just figured if I’m going to spend as much time in Florida as I am in NY, I need a boat down there. I like the Morado and the Estero, a little bigger but still can fish pretty skinny. 
    Thanks for the input guys!
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Vinny,
    Here's a video on the bay boat I really like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i4yOEDbElU

Thanks Pete.
    Great reputation and BIG $$$$. 
    Visited and rode in both 24’s, Morada and BillFish, both very nice. 
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,374 Officer
    Hope you had your Moccasin there side by side to compare ride in the same conditions. Yes larger boats more storage and bigger outboards.
    Equals bigger trailer dual axle with brakes, consumes more fuel to run and tow, drafts more, costs more upfront and too insure.
    If the pot has no limits then by all means go for it! But for the price size and cost to operate you'll not find a better boat to do it all then what you have already! B)
    FlatsBoy said:
    Hope you had your Moccasin there side by side to compare ride in the same conditions. Yes larger boats more storage and bigger outboards.
    Equals bigger trailer dual axle with brakes, consumes more fuel to run and tow, drafts more, costs more upfront and too insure.
    If the pot has no limits then by all means go for it! But for the price size and cost to operate you'll not find a better boat to do it all then what you have already! B)
    Phil
    I value your input! 
    Thank you for that
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,867 Captain
    edited August 20 #14
    I spent a little bit of time on the Billfish 24 and the only thing that concerned me was that you really need the leaning post live well. 

If there was a better used market I may have ended up in one but we ended up with a year-old 24 Yellowfin CE instead, which has exceeded all of my expectations. 

If you don’t want raised deck space up front and back, these boats aren’t for you. 
  • SpookSpook Posts: 152 Deckhand
    TGunn said:
    I spent a little bit of time on the Billfish 24 and the only thing that concerned me was that you really need the leaning post live well. 

If there was a better used market I may have ended up in one but we ended up with a year-old 24 Yellowfin CE instead, which has exceeded all of my expectations. 

If you don’t want raised deck space up front and back, these boats aren’t for you. 
    Hey Tommy, nice to see you are still around.  Did you get rid of the Lake and Bay for the Yellowfin?  Hope you and Allie are doing well.

• TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,867 Captain
    My man!  

Still have the Lake & Bay, contemplating sale or keep at Okeechobee. It’s sitting on a new Boatmaster and got a total refurb in ‘17 so I hate to sell it but this carbon YF is plenty fast and a lot more nimble than I anticipated it would be. How’s the Dirty Bird?
  • SpookSpook Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Still running like a champ and keeping me happy.  It is the only boat i have been completely satisfied with.  We need to plan a camping trip to the Glades this winter.

• Capt JimCapt Jim Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    If you like Egret/Frank's quality and customer service, you'll be happiest with Young Boats/Robb.  I had a 24 built by Robb and loved that boat.  Never should of sold it.  Phil also makes a valid point as well, depending on your use, you might be better off getting another 210 for down here.  Just a thought.
    Capt Jim said:
    If you like Egret/Frank's quality and customer service, you'll be happiest with Young Boats/Robb.  I had a 24 built by Robb and loved that boat.  Never should of sold it.  Phil also makes a valid point as well, depending on your use, you might be better off getting another 210 for down here.  Just a thought.
    Thank You. 
    The 24 Young has a great rep. as does the company in general..
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn

Wow, that Jupiter Bay 25 is a special kinda of boat. I really like that.

I guess that's one to add to the list for me then when I have the finances.

East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"
    Ghost147 said:

Wow, that Jupiter Bay 25 is a special kinda of boat. I really like that.

I guess that's one to add to the list for me then when I have the finances.

Now that's over the top expensive!!
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn

Eh.... I'm hoping to win lotto. LOL 

Given that I'm in the middle of completely designing and customising fittings for an Egret 189, I am over the top when it comes to boats and design.

East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"
    edited October 4 #23
    We sound a lot alike! Back in 2012 I bought a 1987 BHM. It’s a Down east style boat equipped for lobstering. 6 months later, countless hours of labor in my back yard plus a lot of $$$$$ and she was converted into a beautiful weekender sport fish. 
    Sold her in 2017 when I bought my Moccasin. 
  • freeski27freeski27 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    My opinion on some of the boats listed, for what it is worth...

YF24 - I've met a number of guides that run them in the keys and are not super impressed with the boats ability to plane at low speeds. They also say the boat is very stern heavy with the "necessary" 300/350, and they can't keep a full cooler under the leaning post. Granted, these were not CE boats which should be lighter, but based on finance comments above I don't imagine you are looking at CE's.

Jupiter 25 - The lines on these are nice, but I dont think the boat makes any sense. It's really a 25cc not a bay boat, it's got almost no good storage solutions for real fishing, its got a totally awkward slotted euro transom with a porta-jack which seems like a complete design shortcut, and it is $$$$. I think you are just paying for looks with this boat.

Young 24 - I've never seen one in person (just the new 26), but Young seems like a good builder to work with. The aft mini tower setup just isn't for me, very Nature Coast style though. Great part of the boat to ride from no doubt.

Blackjack 256 - If I had the $$$ and I were going to buy a large (25-26ft) production bay boat, it would probably be this boat. I think it's a pretty great boat all around. I wish they built a 24. I think the 226 lacks too many of the offerings from the 256.

Billfish 24 - Super cool boat, don't know much more than chatting with the one that comes to my ramp sometimes. But I don't know if a really low freeboard speed demon fits what you are going for if you are wanting a bigger boat feel than your 210. Unless you just mean sqft. I've never seen a price sheet, but it's got to be big $$$ no?

Morada 24 - Ride is awesome, but this boat doesnt have a ton else really going for it to justify the $$$ IMO.

Eastcape 25 - I think the boat is really odd. The tower design is scary as all hell and defies all good engineering practices. Makes me wonder about the rest of the boat. But Eastcape just rubs me the wrong way for some reason, so maybe I am bias. They haven't built many at all, that should tell you something.

Estero 24 - If you've got mad $$$,$$$ I wouldn't look any further.

Everglades 243 - Only if your wife comes along usually and requires creature comforts, and you will be heading offshore/coastal frequently.

Others to consider....

Sabalo 23 - Great boat in that Marauder-Avenger/Aeon/Canyon/Andros/Dorado/etc closed transom hybrid style. But mostly, Ron Cook (owner of Bonefish Boatworks) is an awesome dude to work with. Biggest issue is 6-7mo build time.

Pathfinder 2300 HPS - If you are looking at bay boats in the 23-24ft range, this boat should definitely be on the "take it for a spin list". Take a look at performance bulletins. Great fuel economy, they hit nail on the head with the step location on this boat. You can even run this boat with a 200.

Cape Bay 23 - If you want to go a little skinnier, like the look of a radius chine bow, and don't mind a lower freeboard. These boats are pretty awesome for the $$.

Bonefish 26 Malvado - If you are looking at YF24/Estero/Morada $$, you should price one of these out. Even if only just for fun. Again, Ron is awesome.

Skeeter SX230 - You might be surprised after looking at one in person.

Contender 25 - Love the hull and foredeck. Hate the cramped feeling at the aft casting deck in way of the leaning post. Guide that runs it for inshore/nearshore around me LOVES it.

Bluewave 2400 PB - *creeps around corner*... This boat actually has a LOT to offer for the price. The ride is good (speaking from experience) and there is a ton of storage. Boat is built well and is affordable. Just have to tear all the graphics off the side...

Interested to hear what you have already, or might go with. 
    Thank you for that, very informative! For a multitude of reasons I’ve yet to make a decision however, after riding on the Billfish and the Morada the later would get the nod. Stuart/Islamorada boat works just finished the Carbon Innegra hull so I’m waiting to see/ride it before deciding. I do like the Contender but I can’t seem to hook up with one for a demo ride. 
    Time is on my side (God willing) so I’ll keep at it. 
    Thanks again for your insight 
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 516 Officer
    A couple of comments on Freeskis post above

HB Estero - well made but ugly as hell.  I won't throw around names but someone far more qualified than me and familiar with it convinced me that if will not be on my list.  

Cape Bay 23 - probably the prettiest bay boat on the water and made well.  However, it is really a 23' flats boat and it is NOT shallow drafting.  On a sea trial, I measured it at 17" with one person at the helm and no cooler and no power pole.  It did have a F300 on a jack plate.

Blackjack - looked at one in 2015; not impressed. It is pretty but wiring, hardware, hatches, rigging was below Pathfinder. 

edited November 8 #27
    The Cape Bay is a pretty boat, rode in one when i was searching for a 21 a few years back. I wasn't impressed with the ride it's nowhere as soft and dry as the Moccasin.
    The Blackjack is also a pretty boat with its tumblehome transome, rides pretty good, something was missing though, I can't put my finger on it but i wasn't completely sold. 
    The Estero, just don't like the looks.
    i'll be in Chocoloskee in a few weeks then up to inglis to look at the Young 24. 
    I'm also going to be looking for a Contender to demo just waiting on a call back from a place in Pompano.
    A 2nd Moccasin is still an option.