Home General Hunting

Poisonous Toads

th19999th19999 Posts: 184 Deckhand
Hey guys. I know this subject is a bit off topic for hunting section, but many of you guys have dogs and spend a lot of time outdoors and in our respective yards. I live in Palm Beach County.

There have always been a lot of those large toads around my community. My fiance along with her dog will be moving into my home shortly. She is concerned of the poisonous toads as her co-worker's dog just died from one. I live on a canal with a decent sized grassed yard where those large toads are very common.

So my question is: Are ALL of the large toads around the neighborhoods poisonous? Or is there some distinguishing characteristics between the poisonous and non-poisonous?

All of the photos on the internet of the bufo/cane toads all look the same as the native ones.

Replies

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    The native toads will make a dog sick, don't know about the other ones.
  • Ramblinman89Ramblinman89 Palm Beach countyPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    Cane toads.. take a air rifle and shoot them in the head...
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 556 Officer
    They are called bufo toads and yes they are poisonous to dogs. There is a short window for treatment so make sure you walk the dog on a leash. Bufo's have glands on the side of their head and secrete a foamy type substance that is toxic for dogs. Google Bufo 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,161 Captain
    Can you post a picture? If they are native toads let them be. Most dogs either instinctively let them alone or learn to after getting sick. 

If cane toads, kill them all. They’ll kill your dogs and don’t belong in Florida anyhow. 
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,180 Officer
    My buddy has a jack russel and i swear that dog likes the toads! He cannot let the dog alone in the yard he will go on a mission looking for them like he's obsessed. I think the dog likes the effect. He will come back all foamed up and get his mouth flushed out and the go lay down for a few hrs. We both think he enjoys it. He can only go out while on a leash now.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,576 Admiral
    I remember hearing second hand about some crazy people that used to lick them to trip out. Supposedly the effect is like LSD. Perhaps that is the feeling that the dog was after. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

That dog is not normal. If he sees another dog he’s ready to fight. He got into it with a german shepherd once and cost my buddy a grand to fix em both up. The only dog he ever liked was my coonhound. They grew up together.
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 852 Officer
    edited September 2019 #9
    Hate to tell you, but all Jack Russell's are like that, at least the good ones.
    Dropped mine off for a weekend at a horsefarm, she fought 7 of their house dogs, including the stud Jrt she was there to see, and a pack of beagles.  She liked the horses.  Owned the whole place when we picked her up.  
    And if youve never watched a shortlegged dog run for his life with a redrocket draggin the dirt...  :D
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 817 Officer
    Jack russels are the frat boys of dogs, have punted quite a few across the lawn in my line of work
    I came to his house once and the crazy dog was on the top of the fridge barking. I asked him how it happened and he said somebody left a chair out. The dog was something of an acrobat as well. He got on the chair, then the table and used the table to run and jump on the fridge. Crazy little dog.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Hate to tell you, but all Jack Russell's are like that, at least the good ones.
    Dropped mine off for a weekend at a horsefarm, she fought 7 of their house dogs, including the stud Jrt she was there to see, and a pack of beagles.  She liked the horses.  Owned the whole place when we picked her up.  
    And if youve never watched a shortlegged dog run for his life with a redrocket draggin the dirt...  :D
    How is that a "good" one? Sounds like a PITA little bastrd to me.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • jmbradt73jmbradt73 jacksonvillePosts: 8 Deckhand
    edited October 2019 #13
    Google Bufo toads, there is an article from the Orlando Sentinel that gives a picture identification to tell them apart. Tried to post it but could not get picture to post.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,161 Captain
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-bufo-toad-kills-tampa-dog-20190403-story.html%3foutputType=amp

The article is incorrect when it says southern toads aren’t poisonous. 

Also, its confusing how media writeups are calling the marine/cane toads “bufo” toads. Most true toads are “bufo.” That’s the first part of the scientific name of the true toads that live in Europe and the Americas. Its a family sort of like pit vipers. 
    The only way that I've ever found to really be sure is to lick them. Then a few minutes later, if I'm still in this dimension, I know it's a southern toad.  If not, all my problems go away and I don't think about toads for a while.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Bufo toads, so named bc of the bufotenin they secrete.  It's wildly psychoactive.  Way beyond lsd.  Bufo marinus, aka cane toads, are the big ones we have in florida.  In addition to the bufotenin, they have a host of other chemicals that make them potentially lethal and dangerously poisonous. 
    Bufo alvarius, aka colorado river toads, found in arizona and new mexico, are the ones with the goods.  They aint in Florida.  And you don't lick em, you smoke the secretion after you dry it out.  I knew MrR was a phony.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    edited October 2019 #18
    spangler said:
    Bufo toads, so named bc of the bufotenin they secrete.  It's wildly psychoactive.  Way beyond lsd.  Bufo marinus, aka cane toads, are the big ones we have in florida.  In addition to the bufotenin, they have a host of other chemicals that make them potentially lethal and dangerously poisonous. 
    Bufo alvarius, aka colorado river toads, found in arizona and new mexico, are the ones with the goods.  They aint in Florida.  And you don't lick em, you smoke the secretion after you dry it out.  I knew MrR was a phony.
    Don't question it until you try it.  Cane toads work too.  Toad-licking is a time-honored FL redneck tradition. And it works.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    spangler said:
    Don't question it until you try it.  Cane toads work too.  Toad-licking is a time-honored FL redneck tradition. And it works.
    That and drinking your prom champagne out of an angel trumpet flower.
    edited October 2019 #20
    In the "plus" column, I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since discovering toads.