Home General Hunting

Wear that harness!

Son texted me that someone fell out of their tree stand today at Bull creek.....crawled to a house for help.

I hope it is nobody I know.....  
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,685 Admiral
    Only an Idiot or a Bulletproof Teenager would go up a stand without a Harness. I have no desire to spend the rest of my life in a Wheel chair.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,756 AG
    My son does a lot of rope work thru his FD job and has taken a lot of high angle rescue / rope class's ...He uses a descender set up.... You still hit the ground...But at a controlled speed and feet first.

I just hope whoever it is....gets a second chance at this.... 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 562 Officer
    edited September 2019 #4
    I got that second chance in 2009. Fell out of stand and broke L1 vertebrae. Eye opening to say the least. Had to nearly crawl 3/4 of a mile so Park Service could find me. First ride in a helicopter was not fun. Still have lingering problems but am blessed to still be able to pursue my passion. Obviously, my feet don't leave the ground without harness now. 
    Its true what they say, It takes a split second to change your life
    I pray the fella who fell will be ok.

• Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    Some states require you to wear them on their WMA's if hunting from an elevated stand, pretty good idea I believe.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,001 Captain
    I have an old lock on( homemade) on my property.
     I left it up to remind myself how stupid I once was.
    Still can’t believe I hunted that stand so much and never fell.
    Hope the guy is ok, this is the stuff that wakes me up at night.
    That big leg jerk thing..: y’all know what I mean.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,181 Captain
    The top of a climber fell with me then bucked and threw me as it caught. It was the old fashioned kind that face the tree and use a blade to dig in and was bolted together out of thin aluminum beams. It was worn out and was compressed to the point the blade lost its angle. I went over half backwards and somehow caught myself on the base of the climber. I’ve never gripped anything so tight as the trunk of that pine. 

I will still go about 8-10 feet or so without a harness but that’s all. If I go high I wear a harness and rarely if ever do I go high anyhow. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,445 AG
    I wear one with a climber but not a ladder..

My first climber was a one piece Baker, can't believe I never fell off it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,312 Admiral
    I only fell 6-7 ft shattered both feet.  I was on concrete though.
    You don't have to be very high to get a life changing injury.
    Most falls happen getting in or out of the stand. I hook up on the ground and use the tether to help me get in the stand. Instead of a safety harness I use a type of rock climbing harness. I can actually sit or  hang in the rc harness and not worry about loosing circulation in my legs. Try that in some these harnesses that come with treestands, they are very uncomfortable but are better than nothing. Another thing I use is a "Treestand Wingman", it's a type of ascender that will help control and slowdown your fall.
    On ladder stands, don't fool yourself into thinking that you can't fall out of them.  I was putting a ladder up last year in a small tree  and it twisted and threw  me out. Luckly I fell in a mass of vines that slowed the fall, even more lucky I killed a nice 9 pt about 45 minutes later.
    Correction, descender not ascender.
  • smhsmh Posts: 302 Deckhand
    edited September 2019 #12
    I wear a harness whenever I go up a tree.  I've also started texting my wife the coordinates of my location when I get set up....almost like a boating float plan.  If I'm not back after a certain time, come looking for me here.  I like to think I can take care of myself in the woods, but sometimes crap happens.  At least it makes her feel more comfortable.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,369 AG
    Always with the harness posts. 
    Let nature take it's course.  Stop with the PSAs.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    edited September 2019 #14
    I have found that setting a ladder stand up is more hazardous than many of us might believe so, indeed, be careful and take precautions with them. I hunt mostly from two man ladders, and they are the cats **** as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately they aren't easily portable and are impractical for the most part on your typical WMA hunt, so it may not be a consideration for most.

For those of you who hunt from climbers, look into the Third Hand safety straps. They add a very solid layer of safety precaution for climbers. Also don't forget your umbilical line if you do not have the Third Hand straps. That thing saved my big **** once, big time, years ago.

I have hunted from lock on stands when I was younger and refuse to hunt from them now. To me, they are entirely too dangerous for several reasons. They don't have rail. The seats are too small. The platform is too small, at least for my liking. With the light weight and ease of setting up some of these great climbers on the market, there is no reason for me to be screwing around with a lock on stand.

Also, don't forget about a string to pull up your bow, gun, or bag. Climbing with the added weight or handful can prove to be too cumbersome and add a level of dumb, unnecessary risk. Having said that, I usually strap my pack on the rail of my climber. It makes climbing a bit more tedious, but I have found that the added weight is manageable for me and it helps keep the weight outboard from the tree creating a better "lock" to the trunk at all times. I never climb with my bow or gun.

At any rate, don't discount any safety measures when you shimmy up and down a tree. The danger of serious injury and death are real, and happen every year to someone. Whatever you do to mitigate those dangers is a good thing, so stick with it, and maybe pass on your tips to others when you can.  Hope the guy that fell is ok.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    some of the best naps i ever had where in my tree lounge     for that reason i always wear a harness.    hope guy is ok.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 477 Deckhand
    Don’t don’t forget your bullet proof vest
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,369 AG
    Pinman said:
    I wear seat belts, snake boots, stand harness, and life jacket (when duck hunting) and once you start, you feel very uncomfortable without one.
    Seems that it would be awfully limiting strapped into the boat with a seat belt when a flock comes in. Of course I don't duck hunt from a stand...  Does the life jacket interfere with shouldering the shotgun?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,756 AG
    So....my son found out it was a 33 Y/O guy from Sebastian.... but it looks like he will recover....but I doubt the shock of seeing the bill from that helicopter ride will ever wear off LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,660 Captain
    Pinman said:
    I wear seat belts, snake boots, stand harness, and life jacket (when duck hunting) and once you start, you feel very uncomfortable without one.
    Seems that it would be awfully limiting strapped into the boat with a seat belt when a flock comes in. Of course I don't duck hunt from a stand...  Does the life jacket interfere with shouldering the shotgun?

Not really. Sometimes I think wearing the snake boots in the boat is overkill but you never know about those Moccasins. LOL

For clarity; Seat belts in vehicle, harness in stand, snake boots on ground, life jacket while under power duck hunting (Have forgot to take the vest type PFD off and you definitely cannot shoulder a gun properly with one on).

• PinmanPinman Posts: 2,660 Captain
    Also - I wear Orange while Big Game hunting with a firearm or hunting flushing birds.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I worked on radio towers for a decade.  Certified in tower safety and rescue.  Wouldn't ever consider not using my harness.  So easy to use and too much can go wrong, no matter how careful you are. 
    And make sure you tighten all those straps and that it fits properly, or you might slip right out of it, break something or end up twisted in a fashion that won't be easy to recover from.
    Hope the guy's doin alright.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.