Slot snook, Hooked Kid, Triggerfish

Launched @ the Pass Sept 2 at about 6:15 with water temp @ 82.5F

Out to the beach in search of a south of Gordon Pass snook.

Caught a few jack crevalles on the magnum Pop-R. Continued tossing the Pop-R when a nice blow-up occurs about 20 feet from the boat. A few twitches, a few more "bites" when finally Mrs snook takes the lure. Long story short, netted the nice girl and measured her at 30".

Not much after that, so into "redfish hotel". (SE corner of cape Romano).. wind and tide way to fast to fish, so into the Morgan River. A few jacks, ladyfish and heard/saw jacks busting the glass minnows from 100 yards away.

Off to a decent trout hole. Throwing a 3/8 ounces Spro jig, something taps the lure and I set the hook. Miss the fish, the lure is out of the water, over the gunnel and into my thigh! Hoping it was just a thump, I look down and see the hook and see one in and the barbed end exiting my skin. Being the tough guy I am ( "yeah, right"), I try to yank it out backwards. BAD MOVE!.  A closer look and see it's time to cut the hook, pull the barb through and continue. One pair of pliers would not cut the hook. Another set did, I pulled the barb portion through the skin, reflected on the situation and continued to fish. (As of this writing, everything is good).

Out to the beach (wind out of the east @ 15+) and nothing. Went a set of rocks (you know where...!) to try for some mangrove snapper. Throwing a shrimp/cork combo, got beat badly about 3 times. Finally hooked up and thought "wow, this mango has to be 2-3 pounds"!. I get the fish in the boat and it's a 14" triggerfish! In 3 feet of water!  Tossed the rig a few more times and the dopey triggerfish are "eating" my popping cork! Yes, dopey. I did catch 3 more triggerfish but not knowing seasons/size limits, tossed them back.

I don't fish offshore, so do not pay attention to "reef fish" rules. Wait: Years ago, I did catch a legal 26" gag in 2-feet of water in the 10K.

For the day, maybe 30 fish, the majority jacks. Yes, the "trash can slam" was attained with a few mackerel and mangos and 1 blue runner and 3 triggerfish thrown in.

Was going to fish today, but my buddy Storm Gordon put the kabash on that thought. Oh well, I did get the target and the associated fillets. Don't hate me for keeping a snook. That's why they make size/season limits. I keep maybe 1 a year and was blessed with the one I caught. (see previous posts for the same thought pattern)

Hope to be out next weekend, just in case redfish and or trout happen to accommodate the offerings as they both were absent on Sept 2nd. Until then, be safe, save some for me! Hope to see the "posters" in the 10K.

Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,320 Officer
    i have been fishing for 60 plus years and always considered Jack Crevalle's poor eating until about i year ago.  They have to be poached and added to a salad like canned tuna.  Ask the guide Lemay for the recipe if you are interested..
    Giimoozaabi
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Nice report.  We had a similar day.  After feeding most of our bait to the baby mangos, we moved to an outside point.  Caught some jacks and then my son's rod starts to move.  I'm thinking its a small trout.  He reels it to the boat with a minor fight, but then it sees the boat and shoots off towards Naples screaming drag like a shark.  My son yells and hands me the rod because he doesn't want to lose it and we boat a slot snook at 28".  We had snook for dinner.

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,146 Officer
    edited September 2018 #4
    Great reports guys. Good luck with the leg Kid.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,181 Officer
    Thanks for the report! 
    Jason :USA
  • fish4foodfish4food Indianapolis Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Went a set of rocks (you know where...!)   where is this set of rocks?