Home General Hunting

I Know Squat about Ducks..

Except they swim around and Quack...But if the Wood Ducks migrate, This morning I saw my first 2 Flights of them in the Big Bend Swamps.
Acorns are falling and their gonna put on the Feed Bag.
Maybe they'll make it down South to you STA Guys..I don't know.
Good luck if they do that cause Their Here..now.
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 419 Deckhand
    I am pretty sure they migrate but just not to the extent of other ducks.  I killed one in early teal about 5 years ago that had been banded a few months earlier in south carolina
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,103 Captain
    edited September 2019 #3
    We definitely get some migraters. The morning of January 23rd 2016 I was in one of my favorite wood duck marshes that I had been hunting for the previous few mornings. It was in the 40’s and got colder as the morning progressed. It actually started snowing for about ten mins. Got it on video. About 5 mins before legal light all I could hear was what sounded like hundreds of wood ducks squealing from way above. I knew what it was and started recording video. Finally a huge cloud of Woodrow’s worked down close enough that we could make out a cloud of at least 250. It took about 5 minutes for them to spiral all the way down into our swamp. That was a fun week. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Yeah, they do in late summer, early fall.  They stay local as well.  Kind of like doves. Waves come in and supplement the local ones. They don't quack though.  But they are some swimming-around sumbitches.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,649 Captain
    edited September 2019 #5
    Wood Ducks, Mottled and Blackbellies nest in Florida and stay year-round.  Only Wood Ducks will have some migratory birds.  
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    When I first started duck hunting (late 1980’s) we never saw black bellies, now they seem to be everywhere.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,984 Captain
    Except the thousands of black bellies that come in from the Carolinas, Georgia and any other states.....

disagree button cough cough. 
    edited September 2019 #8
    H20dad said:
    Except the thousands of black bellies that come in from the Carolinas, Georgia and any other states.....

I think you are confusing "migrating" with "expanding range".  
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:

I think you are confusing "migrating" with "expanding range".  
    They are shooting birds in Florida banded in the Carolinas the same year. All my guys who are species list hunters who live in the Carolinas can’t get the whistlers because they move out before season opens up there. They see them all summer in large numbers. 
    They shoot birds in Florida banded in North Dakota. Now that's a migration. I guess technically a Mottled banded in South Bay and shot in STA 5 has "migrated"
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,296 Admiral
    I've never duck hunted but I love to eat them when cooked right.
    edited October 2019 #12
    H20dad said:

I have black bellies that roost in my front yard every day and fly down to my neighbors dock feeders on schedule. I have about 50 that stretch their wings every morning. Guaranteed by the opening day of main phase they’ll fly down to where you guide. Happens every year, unless we have a really low water year. 
    H20dad said:

I have black bellies that roost in my front yard every day and fly down to my neighbors dock feeders on schedule. I have about 50 that stretch their wings every morning. Guaranteed by the opening day of main phase they’ll fly down to where you guide. Happens every year, unless we have a really low water year. 
    I don’t guide. Don’t listen to the fake news people. 
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:

Well, if we ever become hunting buddy’s, don’t refer to me as “your guys” or “species hunter”. Lol

Just get your 6 pack license and liability, it’s not that hard or expensive. You don’t have to hunt stas to guide ringer hunts. 
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:

Well, if we ever become hunting buddy’s, don’t refer to me as “your guys” or “species hunter”. Lol

Just get your 6 pack license and liability, it’s not that hard or expensive. You don’t have to hunt stas to guide ringer hunts. 
    I do swap hunts. Guys I swap hunts with are “my guys” and they do species hunt. 

Had a guy in last week. He got a gator with his bow, a 10’5” stud, shot a public land buck and a limit of afternoon teal.  We didn’t go on a couple of hunts for teal because we were taking it easy and they are brown birds.... Hoping to visit him for 2 weeks of duck hunting when the pintail limits go to 2 and he can line up some spec and canvasback hunts for me....then I’m his guy and species hunting out his way....
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    H2 - interesting. Some folks charge money for a service, and some trade (barter) for the equivalent of payola. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's most likely a duck ;)
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,731 AG
    I like reading some of this stuff..... I know that there are some waterfowl biologists that are going to enjoy it too. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    I'm pretty sure you don't need a 6-pack license to be an STA guide.
    I'm sure H2O will correct me if I'm mistaken.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    duckmanJR said:
    I like reading some of this stuff..... I know that there are some waterfowl biologists that are going to enjoy it too. 

Ask ole Ironeyes if Blackbellies migrate...hes as good as a PhD
    duckmanJR said:
    The most recent to my knowledge “biology” paper written on black bellies was forwarded to me the other day. Two of the “authors” work for DU. It was basically a “cut and paste” (wouldn’t use plagiarism) of previous work posted by people as far back as the 1950s and 1960s that stated black bellies would never establish populations in the US and migrated back to Mexico each year. 

This is was a propaganda piece to promote a September season for black bellies. 

A season for them in the Carolinas and northern states makes sense as everything I’m seeing reported has them effectively moving out of those states prior to November. 

South of Orlando, however, September is the prime breeding season for black bellies in the wild. I can take you to 50 places with yellow fuzz balls as recently as last week and I would bet some will hatch this week. A season in September for black bellies here would have a major negative effect on the population, IMO. Have the biologists take a laugh at this but we know they can’t light a match to save their lives or the habitat around here. Sure as heck they couldn’t find a black belly unless is was put in their laps. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,363 Captain
    TRT may not know squat about ducks but he certainly knows how to get a party started around here with a duck thread!
    Blackbellies in the Wood Duck box behind my house right now.
    Pinman said:
    Blackbellies in the Wood Duck box behind my house right now.
    DU biologists are in their way to blow it up. Can’t have that sort of thing....
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    Soooo , What the heck is a Black Belly ?
    I've shot Muscovy's with a BB Gun when I was a kid , That should make me Experienced.
    None of them had a Band thing but several had Dog bite marks and Tire Treads scars...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I've shot Muscovy's with a BB Gun when I was a kid , That should make me Experienced.
    None of them had a Band thing but several had Dog bite marks and Tire Treads scars...
    Image result for black bellied whistling duck

Brilliant. 
    H20dad said:
    duckmanJR said:
     Have the biologists take a laugh at this but we know they can’t light a match to save their lives or the habitat around here. Sure as heck they couldn’t find a black belly unless is was put in their laps. 
    You can trust me.....whenever they read what you write...it elicits howls of laughter.

PS...I spoke with Jamie F up in Tenn a few days back.....they are thinking of changing some of the waterfowl permitting up that way and he wanted to chat about that....Your name came up....solid laughs. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Pinman said:
    duckmanJR said:

Ask ole Ironeyes if Blackbellies migrate...hes as good as a PhD

He's busy being a deer hunter now....

Hey, Do you remember back in 2003 when UW-F was doing the whole  " Back off the Blackbellies" thing...LOL 
    Somewhere there is a picture of an 8 man beat down of those things with a bunch of old UW-F'ers...... We piled them on the front hoods of Ironeyes and duckbones truck..... It realy made some people mad.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,363 Captain
    Gimme back my D button!
    duckmanJR said:
    H20dad said:
    duckmanJR said:
     Have the biologists take a laugh at this but we know they can’t light a match to save their lives or the habitat around here. Sure as heck they couldn’t find a black belly unless is was put in their laps. 
    You can trust me.....whenever they read what you write...it elicits howls of laughter.

PS...I spoke with Jamie F up in Tenn a few days back.....they are thinking of changing some of the waterfowl permitting up that way and he wanted to chat about that....Your name came up....solid laughs. 
    I’m glad to read this. I imagine they all deal with a lot of stress and guilt since they can’t manage land, game numbers are dropping, and endangered species (right) lists keep getting longer. Even abject failures need some comic relief from time to time. Who cares if they take public money intended for wildlife enhancement and **** it away. 

Aw, Tennessee deserves him.