Aripeka

Good Day Everyone 
I typically go out to St Joseph Sound but with the all the jet skiers and boat traffic, I decided to try Norfleet's Fish Camp Aka "Carl's Store" in Aripeka. Does anyone have advice for this area? I couldn't find any grass flats and tried my hand at backwater fishing without luck. Any general advice would be great

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,497 Captain
    No grass flats? How far out did you go?  There are extensive grass flats from Intercoastal Marker #10 back in toward shore.  Lots of scattered rocks among the grass to the NW that should have gags and small snapper.  Large areas of hard live bottom start around 25 ft. 
  • GarrickGarrick Pasco Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    We went out the channel to the 3 mile mark and we drifted different areas on the way out and back in. I found rock piles in the NW area but no grass around. All I remember is markers in the 40s from Sunday, Will will check more this weekend. I think I was to far out and close to shore was muddy water, just not use to the area and this kind of fishing yet. Thank you very much for the advice 
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,497 Captain
    Marker #10 is an Intercoastal marker much farther out, not a channel marker. It's about due west of Aripeka.  Most of the trout are still in 6-10 ft of water although they are moving in.  The backcountry around there is best during cool weather.

I haven't fished down that way in a long time, but it used to be better than Tarpon Springs back in the day.