Tying and fishing out west

greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
Dorian kind of worked in my favorite and turned a 1 week vacation to Utah/Wyoming into a 2 week vacation. Didn't get any pics of the fish but plenty of wildlife which hopefully i can post soon. Fishing was great though. Caught my first brook trout, and plenty of browns and rainbows. Mostly 16-20". Some smaller fish mixed in but no studs even know I tried working some big streamers super hard. Best area was the Hams Fork. Fish were everywhere and being stupid. Caught a bunch on nymphs and streamers and even managed some on dries but trying to see a #20 dry gets old so mainly stuck with my streamer. Fished 2 days in Yellowstone too. Caught a bunch of small 10-14" trout there. They loved the big hoppers just had troubling taking them down.

Now onto the tying. Dorian got be behind on my fly tying so been playing catch up since I got back. Tied more  silverside surf candies than i can count and a bunch of redfish and mullet flies. Need a recommendation for the Brush mullet. Its currently between 4.5-5" but i have had a lot of request to make it about 9" long. I tired adding articulations but didn't like the result. Thinking some big saddles might be my best bet. Open to opinions.Maybe I should write a letter to EP and let them know I need a 6" Chromatic brush. 

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 513 Officer
    Great looking flies.
    Anything long I tie using Puglisi fibers tangles around the hook.
    How do you prevent that? Do you wind that brush around the hook?
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    The body is a EP Chromatic brush wrapped around the hook and the head is EP minnow head brush. Only piece that ever fouls is the hackles and that is pretty rare. Super easy fly to make just need to make it much long due to requests.

If using long EP fibers to tie a EP peanut butter I add a mono loop off the back. It helps alot with those longer fibers fouling and most people never even notice it is there. 
    Good ideas. 
    I stopped using any form of Puglisi fibers for my tarpon flies.
    Maybe I can try them again.
    Mark

I know alot of people hate EP but I have done really well with a black and purple peanut butter for tarpon. I like their brushes too. I need to learn how to make the brushes
    Sunflower I do have a new permit crab. I haven't tried it out yet but it looks good. Thinking it just needs a weed guard and will be set

Wow.
    That thing could live in an aquarium!

Mark

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 219 Deckhand
    Have you tank tested for drop speed and twist when dropping and/or strip...the latest iterations of a Permit crab have a single claw trailing essentially on centerline which I assume is for drop speed and no twist on strip
    tarpon41 said:
    Have you tank tested for drop speed and twist when dropping and/or strip...the latest iterations of a Permit crab have a single claw trailing essentially on centerline which I assume is for drop speed and no twist on strip
    I have not tested it as of yet but I can throw in in the aquarium and see how it works. The way I tied this one is you want it to get them bottom fast then move in very slowly as a fighting crab. I think it will spin if stripped with any speed. I will also tie it long ways on the hook so its more of a fleeing crab style and could be stripped faster. 

Working on some flexo crabs too. Just waiting on some chenille to come in for the legs. Sili legs don't look like they are going to cut it for me. This one drops like a stone. 

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Greenie , fabulous flies. I tried to send u a pm but your name didnt appear. Could you please send me a pm with as much info as you care to on Hamms Fork. What is closest town, what stretch did you fish? I love trout fishing but I'm getting tired of the crowds on the Missouri out of Wolf Creek . I go to Montana twice a year(self guide wade fishing) and would like to see some new water. Got back from BC yesterday. Fished Elk , St Maries and Wigwam. Hired guide, didnt see another drift boat in 3 days in the boat nor another human walking into Wigwam. Great dry fly fishing for cutties, Got 3 bulltrout on Wigwam , biggest 30". 25 degree night shut it down on last day. Was in Yellowstone  a month ago, crowds appalling but a 3-5 mile hike got you away from most of it. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Troutbom, maybe I can chime in...I just moved here from that area. You can stay in Kemmerer which is right next to Hams, fishing below Viva Naughton Res. is good, there is a rancher that has a pay area which I think is $10 a person, that is some good water with healthy Bows' it's also about an hours drive over to the upper Green River, that area holds some of the niggest trout in the region. If you go this month the Browns' will be spawning and there should be some Kokanee spawning that have moved out of the Gorge. You can PM me for more info. Oh ya, there are also some big bows in Kemmere
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Remo thanks for the info. Probably will go next fall. Just got back from BC and was in Yellowstone in August. Here's a couple BC pix.
    Getting a little better with the flex crabs. Now if i could only find a permit to try them on
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,898 AG
    remo_5_0 said:
    Troutbom, maybe I can chime in...I just moved here from that area. You can stay in Kemmerer which is right next to Hams, fishing below Viva Naughton Res. is good, there is a rancher that has a pay area which I think is $10 a person, that is some good water with healthy Bows' it's also about an hours drive over to the upper Green River, that area holds some of the niggest trout in the region. If you go this month the Browns' will be spawning and there should be some Kokanee spawning that have moved out of the Gorge. You can PM me for more info. Oh ya, there are also some big bows in Kemmere
    Should have been here for the green below Fontenelle before it closed above the cable, stupid! The berry is on fire right now.  Hoppers.  20 fish in an afternoon.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Sunflower I do have a new permit crab. I haven't tried it out yet but it looks good. Thinking it just needs a weed guard and will be set

Holy crap!  Looks like you impaled a real crab with a hook!!!!  Simply gorgeous Greenie
    Member #10822
    avmech said:

Holy crap!  Looks like you impaled a real crab with a hook!!!!  Simply gorgeous Greenie
    Thanks been working on a bunch of different crabs. I like the olive version of this guy too. I think I perfected my flexo crabs as well.

• JWTJWT Posts: 620 Officer
    those look good enough to eat!