Home General Hunting

Early ducks

2»

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,103 Captain
    edited September 2019 #32
    Thanks y’all, he loves it. It’s 4am and my 5 yr old just woke me up to go hunting, lol. At least he doesn’t sleep through my alarms. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • jaxjagnolejaxjagnole Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Nothing like being on the marsh when it comes alive.  Don’t think there’s any better way to get kids involved in the outdoors, there’s always something going on even when the ducks aren’t flying.
    I had some success on my quota permit for Guana this morning.  Ended up being a solo hunt out of the kayak due to my partner backing out last night after a not so great hunt on Monday (we got 3 but that’s about the only birds we saw). He chose the wrong hunt to skip. Birds were flying today, nice groups diving in on the spread. Should have been limited out by 7, but due to some poor shots and being timid on the draw a few times I ended up getting my limit just after 8:30.  This is why I always go given the opportunity,  you never know what can happen.  The old proverb stands true “you can’t kill them from the couch”
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Every day is a different one. Especially when dealing with birds.
    You never know.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Took my favorite hunting buddy this morning. He likes to get a lil’ rowdy in the boat. We were covered up in teal the whole time, problem was they were 2 miles above us heading south.

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    Looks like he’s ready to do something with that red Ryder!...lol!👍 great pictures!
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,370 Officer
    Good stuff, he does look a lil rowdy.  lol
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    I had a weird morning. The woodies usually fly in around first light (flooded cypress) but they didn't. They were already there, I think maybe they swam in from roosting in live oaks at the edge???? Called with several off and on. One got up within range all of a sudden but I wasn't quick enough. I also had one swim too me and then start swimming in circles and calling like crazy! About 20 yards out. Called for a solid minute then flew off. I just watched him, never have seen one do that before.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    My bet is they roosted right where you found them, in the cypress pond. I don't think they roost in trees, ...but can be wrong. Gonna research that. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    My bet is they roosted right where you found them, in the cypress pond. I don't think they roost in trees, ...but can be wrong. Gonna research that. 
    As a kid I hunted them in the evening when they flew into nice old live oak stand. I assumed they were going to roost. I know they nest in hollow trees. Could be scarfing acorns.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Apparently they do but not that often.  I've only jumped them off the ground/water in the marsh in the predawn hours.  Maybe in certain areas the trees are to their liking.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I've had them land after legal shooting hours and disappear right as I watched them. They will get up on roots, limbs, tussocks, and hide in vegetation.  They don't have a typical gripping foot for gripping a limb, but will set on a limb for short periods. Their acorn foraging is on the ground.  The hatchlings use their claws to exit the cavity nest, and will spend the night with the hen on limbs partially submerged in the water, or in heavy vegetation.  This is mostly from observation over the years rambling the Withlacoochee River swamps and floodplain. I did read about the ducklings roosting on limbs in the water.  
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    edited September 2019 #43
    bicyclist said:
    I had a weird morning. The woodies usually fly in around first light (flooded cypress) but they didn't. They were already there, I think maybe they swam in from roosting in live oaks at the edge???? Called with several off and on. One got up within range all of a sudden but I wasn't quick enough. I also had one swim too me and then start swimming in circles and calling like crazy! About 20 yards out. Called for a solid minute then flew off. I just watched him, never have seen one do that before.

They’ve been flying out to roost really early this week. 5:30pm has been prime time as they’re headed out, but I’m not hunting roost holes. 
  • JohiahKepJohiahKep delhiPosts: 1 Greenhorn