Home General Hunting

Couple questions w pics

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
edited September 2019 in General Hunting #1
Anyone know what this is?  And more importantly, do wildlife like it?  I was surprised to find a firm flesh and not full of seeds.  Inside texture was almost like a dehydrated apple.  Couldn't spot one in a tree/vine.  I've found them at 2 locations now.  Never noticed one  before a month ago.

And what about this?  Rub?  It starts about a foot off the ground and goes up about 5 feet. Tree about 6" in diam.

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.

Replies

• biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Not sure about FL, but if you were in the southwest, I'd guess that was a Manzanita apple.  Google it.  Tree in lower pic at this time of year is likely a buck Deer polishing antlers.  Could be a Bear rub, I 'spect, but more likely Deer.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    The berry/fruit I found along the withlacoochee.  The 'rub' was in a preserve and first I've seen in florida that big. 
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Just for grins, I did a quick google on Manzanita Florida and it appears you have them, too.  Pretty bushes.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    Don't confuse Manzanita trees, which seems to be native to California with the Manchineel tree of Florida which is very toxic.
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Thanks for commenting and the education woodsrunner. I would have assumed deer or bear.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    I'd love to see the horns and size of a buck on a tree that size...never heard the squirrel thing, always thought it was a cat or bear
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    edited September 2019 #9
    emailed the extension office.. apparently my 'fruit' is a oak gall, which forms bc of a parasitic wasp that lays eggs on an acorn cap.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    Correct, I just looked it up, oak gall. I've heard some people call them spider eggs.