Alaska Fishing

WHISKEYTRAINWHISKEYTRAIN Posts: 95 Greenhorn
Hey guys, 

Going on a cruise mid June in Alaska and are trying to find a decent fishing charter last minute. It appears Ketchikan is he best fishing port we stop at. It is a fairly short stop as we dock at 7am and leave at 3pm. Found some good reviews through trip advisor, but am skeptical and seeking any first hand knowledge. Anyone have any experience out of Ketchikan? Any charter recommendations or advice in general? Thanks 

Replies

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,165 Captain
    Can't help on the fishing, but you have GOT!!!! to take the train ride in Skagway
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 602 Officer
    My buddy guides in Ketchikan, look up Reel Alaska fishing charters, Captain Scott. Just repowered his rig. Have fun!
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,001 AG
    Great site for cruise info.
    I'm sure someone there can help.

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 153 Deckhand
    edited May 29 #5
    My buddy guides in Ketchikan, look up Reel Alaska fishing charters, Captain Scott. Just repowered his rig. Have fun!
    X2 on Scott Edgar
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Ketchikan is a really cool little town.  This might not be what you are looking for, but on a similar cruise ship port call there a few years ago we had arranged a guide to take wife, daughter and myself stream fly fishing for salmon.  I can't find his name or contact info, but he worked out of a fly shop "downtown" such as it is, within a few blocks of the cruise ship docks.  We had a great time catching pink salmon.  They are the smallest and least edible of the Pacific salmon, but we were C&R only so table quality didn't matter to us, and the action was fast.  Had a black bear sniffing around for a while which was cool to see too.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    My parents went and my sister & her hubby went twice.  They all said that you can rent a fish pole in town and catch salmon off the town dock at most ports.  

I have no idea on how it works but they said it was fun and very easy to catch some fish for fun.
  • jonny550jonny550 FL, USAPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Ketchikan is a really cool little town.  This might not be what you are looking for, but on a similar cruise ship port call there a few years ago we had arranged a guide to take wife, daughter and myself stream fly fishing for salmon.  I can't find his name or contact info, but he worked out of a fly shop "downtown" such as it is, within a few blocks of the cruise ship docks.  We had a great time catching pink salmon.  They are the smallest and least edible of the Pacific salmon, but we were C&R only so table quality didn't matter to us, and the action was fast.  Had a black bear sniffing around for a while which was cool to see too.
    What a beautiful scenario.
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    I feel sorry for the people that take a cruise up the inside passage and think they are seeing Alaska, the trips are a **** rip off, and no you cant go fishing between the time the boat docks and leaves Kecth. the above pics are are gross except the pretty girl. The fish is a 7/8 dead pink (Humpy) dogs don't even eat them. My friend from St pete just got off the train ride in Skagway and said it was a rip off.
    Sorry not want you want to hear but it is all true. its just like Key West, Nassua,Cancun,cozmel. ect ect  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,327 Admiral
    I feel sorry for the people that take a cruise up the inside passage and think they are seeing Alaska, the trips are a **** rip off, and no you cant go fishing between the time the boat docks and leaves Kecth. the above pics are are gross except the pretty girl. The fish is a 7/8 dead pink (Humpy) dogs don't even eat them. My friend from St pete just got off the train ride in Skagway and said it was a rip off.
    Sorry not want you want to hear but it is all true. its just like Key West, Nassua,Cancun,cozmel. ect ect  
    What's gross about it?

You know, we also have pics of tarpon on this site.  Every tried eating that?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,343 Captain
        This is why I fish Quebec/Nunavut/Alberta, and will probably never see Alaska.
    All of Alaska is a rip off? lol
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Ya , for sure if you are a tourist. just like Florida
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 106 Deckhand
    AG, I can agree with some of what you say.  When a cruise ship drops 1000 or 1500 people on a small AK town it's similar to what happens in Key West when the ships call.  The small towns get overrun, and they do tend to sprout tourist-oriented businesses to take advantage of that tourist traffic.  Same in the Bahamas, Mexico, Caribbean islands, everywhere that cruise ships call.  But I have seen some very cool stuff in Alaska and had some great fishing.  In Florida too.  Everyone gets their own opinion, mine is that both Florida and Alaska have a lot to offer, especially if you make a little effort to search it out.  I also agree with you that if the only experience of Alaska that a visitor gets comes via port calls from a cruise ship, that they are getting a distorted view of the state and are missing a lot.  But for people that don't have the means or the ability to get off the beaten path a little, I think that the cruises are worthwhile, more for the scenery underway than for the port calls.

I am curious about one thing:  Why do you say that "no, you cannot go fishing between the time the boat docks and leaves Ketchikan"?  We did exactly that on a six hour port call.  And had a great time of it.
    Everywhere is a ripoff for tourists.  
    Some people are content with that.  I'd say Alaska has more "real" outdoors than the entire rest of the US put together though.

• inshoreinshore Posts: 255 Deckhand
    We had an incredible trip out of Sitka. We caught 40 plus salmon on a half day trip, trolling and mooching. We were on a Norwegian cruise but booked directly. When we got off the boat our captain had transportation pick us up. The word on Ketchikan is it receives more pressure and is less productive in June. I’ve been told Ketchikan is better in July.  We fished with Gary on the cv retriever. Nice guy, great boat and outstanding fisherman. Pm if u want more info.
  • VikingViking Posts: 138 Deckhand
    edited June 26 #17
    WhiskeyTrain I know some of the cruise ships come into Seward.  They have an excellent fishing fleet.  My son lives in Seward and he is already catching salmon in Resurrection Bay.  For those contemplating a trip to Alaska In regards to it being expensive I would say it is as expensive as you want it to be.  There are lots of low cost lodging you can find on Air B&B or Trip Advisor.  If you want to rent an RV you can go to a large firm or get one from an individual owner on RVShare.com.  I have even camped in areas like Denali to avoid expensive lodging, just have to take a few precautions to avoid bear and moose issues.  I have not been on a cruise in Alaska so I can't make a comment about that but I have really enjoyed driving from Cold Foot to Seward.  I've traveled all over the world and there is stuff in Alaska that you will not see anywhere else. There is a great book for the DIY angler called "The Roadside Angler's Guide - Alaska's Top Road Accessible Waters."  Here are links to my YouTube channel on DIY fishing in Alaska:  
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,911 Admin
    Any advise on fly fishing in Juneau Alaska?  My daughter is working this summer up there for Allen Marine so we are going up to visit in three weeks.  Are there any places for DIY fly fishing?  What are the preferred flys for that area?

Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc
    Old Bahama Bay (Owner / Board of Directors) 

• VikingViking Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Any advise on fly fishing in Juneau Alaska?  My daughter is working this summer up there for Allen Marine so we are going up to visit in three weeks.  Are there any places for DIY fly fishing?  What are the preferred flys for that area?

I don't have any experience on fishing around Juneau.  The book that I mentioned above does not cover Juneau.  The website for the Alaska Department Fish and Game has a lot of good information that might help you and here is a link for it:  http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=SportByAreaSoutheast.main  .  Hope you have a great trip to Alaska and catch some fish.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Maybe the folks are happy with the inside passage cruise?  Maybe they aren't looking for some rustic live in a log cabin with a pet grizzly bear experience.

As for the photos and the folks sharing their experience - they look like they are having fun.  Kudos to them for enjoying themselves and not trying to pee in someone's corn flakes like you are.

You sound like you've been petting your grizzly bear for too long and need to get into town for some tourist-based entertainment.  Maybe you can set up a boiled-peanut stand and tell stories about the true wilderness that exists.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Alaska Guy, that was a little harsh. These folks are not looking for a wilderness experience, they want a side trip from a cruise. Pinks fight well for their size, the pictured fish was fair caught in the mouth(if not exactly fresh), and as for dogs wouldnt eat them, neither would they eat a lady fish or jack crevalle, but all are fun for a time limited C&R angler. Personally, I agree with you about cruise ports and wouldnt take a cruise if it was free , but don't rain on their parade.BTW, I've been to Alaska twice, both out of Aniak, once on a rugged tent trip for ducks 30 years ago, once on a fairly high end jet boat lodge. Both great, but not what the cruise folks are looking for.
  • HootsterHootster Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    LOL
    Alaska freshwater fishing.
    You can have my share, I didn't care for it.
    Saltwater a different story. 
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 665 Officer

Check out Whalers Cove. I had an excellent trip there.
    I can't imagine going all the way to Alaska for the saltwater fishing.
    Cranking up on a halibut.  There's also... well, what?  Trolling for salmon?

• HootsterHootster Posts: 48 Greenhorn
  • fishermenfishermen Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    For more on fly fishing faqs, what does the fly fishing box do?
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    I grew up on the southern B.C. coast and fished for Salmon with my dad from the time I was 10.  Favorite game then was to rent one of the old "putter boats" from....Sewell's, I think, in West Vancouver and troll flashers for Kings (Springs in Canada).  Putter boat was a 14 - 16 ft lapstrake skiff with a 5 (??) hp Briggs & Stratton inboard.  That would have been in early to mid-50's.

My favorite game, tho', was when I lived in Port Angeles, WA from '89 - '96.  Had a 19 ft runabout with 115 Johnson then and loved to go out in the Strait (not "straight") of Juan de Fuca and troll the tide rips for Silvers (Coho) and Pinks (Humpies).

Seems like the whole country was hung up on those big flashers and heavy trolling weights - 32 oz was common.  I hated those contraptions.  I used my 7½ ft Fenwick trout rod with a bait caster reel loaded with 6# mono.  Hook a cut-plug Herring on a tandem hook arrangement, put ½ oz of weight ahead of it to keep the bait below the Seagull's reach and troll it slow, about 50 - 75 ft behind the boat.  Run along and thru the tide rips until you hit fish, then mark the location.

I've heard stories of 15 - 18# Silvers, but the biggest I ever saw myself was about 12# and average about 4# - 6#.  I understand Alaska fish are bigger.  When a fish that size hits light tackle, it's great fun.  They fight like a huge Trout, make good, solid runs and frequently jump.  I spent 100's of hours out there and caught 100's of Salmon.

I bled the fish while still on hook and put them straight onto ice - lots of ice.  Silvers taste much better and even the lowly Pink was very good eating then.

For Kings, use the same basic arrangement with heavier tackle and 4 - 6 oz of weight, then "mooch" it down deep, drifting with the tide.  A 25# King on 18# line puts up a great fight.  I don't think I ever did buy a flasher.  Didn't like dragging all that weight.

Halibut are surprisingly strong and put up a good fight for a bit, then just arch their back to make more resistance in the water.  My personal best was 47#, tho' a much larger one broke off out at Swiftsure Bank.  Great memories.