Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Rod blank selection

Any body using MHX blanks with success? I have had 3 of the same blanks all break at the exact same location. Not quite sure what is up with that. I have a few other blanks that had had no issue.

Replies

• ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 126 Deckhand
    I've used quite a few of them over the years and never had an issue. They do warranty their blanks if you register them. Just curious, where they are breaking on you?
  • GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 69 Deckhand
    7'  blank is breaking at 20" down from the tip. 2 of the rods were my personnal rods. Never over loaded, high sticked,  or dropped. The 3rd blank is a friend of mine. All 3 of these rods are the same blank.
    I also fish a 7-6" with no issue and my wife has a 6'6" and a 7' with no issues.
    The warranty I looked up and only a 1 year and there was a fee, can't remember how much, 50 or 90.
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 126 Deckhand
    I would give mud hole a call and run it by them. They have great customer service. On a 7` blank it sounds like 20 inches would be around the area of the tip transition. Please post up their response about it.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,465 Officer
    I'm using a couple several times a week for a couple of years with no problem.  Reelthief is right contact Mudhole.
  • rcjoutdoorsrcjoutdoors SunrisePosts: 29 Deckhand
    I want to try one of their elite x blanks. I wonder how they compare to point blank or NFC- Xray in terms of sensitivity, taper and durability. 

Coupon Code: RCFSM80 for 80% off SA Face Shields

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,465 Officer
    I'm using a couple of Rainshadow Immortal blanks for worm fishing and they're the most sensitive I've ever used.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,792 Captain
    The first thing I’d be looking at is how and where those rods that broke are being stored on your skiff when you’re trailering or running.  Rods take a beating on rough roads or when running in rough seas where the pounding your skiff is doing is directly being transmitted to your gear.  Any spots your rods are touching that aren’t cushioned can do damage you can’t see until you put a load in the rod and it breaks right at the damaged spot... 

Just another of those “ask me how I know” moments...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain

Fwiw, I know at least one local captain who's had similar experiences to the OP. He bought 10 blanks and broke half of them in just a few months. He's been using Point Blank & Liberty blanks for some time now without issue. I have no personal experience with the mhx/crb products, I put a fantastic amount of effort into avoiding them. 
         As for the NFC blanks, the two I've built are holding up fine, but expect a long wait to get them. They're pretty much giving them away on the website, generally that's the last gasp of a manufacturer before going under. It's a shame we lost St. Croix.
    Going back many years ago when one of Gary Loomis’s early companies ( long before GLoomis... it was LCI...) went out of business I bought a bunch of their blanks - then built great rods with them for many years...

I’ve gotten some emails the last few years from NFC but always thought their goods to be a bit pricey... Guess I’ll have to take a closer look...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Going back many years ago when one of Gary Loomis’s early companies ( long before GLoomis... it was LCI...) went out of business I bought a bunch of their blanks - then built great rods with them for many years...

I’ve gotten some emails the last few years from NFC but always thought their goods to be a bit pricey... Guess I’ll have to take a closer look...
    I ordered a few of their blanks recently and they shipped within 2 days. That is a lot faster than advertised which was 2-3 weeks. If you know a retailer that sells them, it may reduce wait or lead times that some have had.

• CustomRodCustomRod Posts: 1 Greenhorn

I have no personal experience with the mhx/crb products, I put a fantastic amount of effort into avoiding them. 
     . . .It's a shame we lost St. Croix.
    Why and why?
    Looked at the email that NFC sent me recently offering 50% off of blanks that were only $250... I'll be using their gear when pigs fly.... 

Maybe I'm off base having always bought every one of the my blanks, reelseats, guides (and everything else) at wholesale... Guess I'm getting crankier as I get older.... Over the years I've built with Lamiglass, Fenwick, Fisher, GatorGlass, Sabre, GLoomis, LCI (Loomis Composites Inc), Rainshadow, PacBay, Sage, Thomas & Thomas - just to name a few - and a few others that also are probably long out of business...

Wonder just how many of those expensive blanks they've sold....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Looked at the email that NFC sent me recently offering 50% off of blanks that were only $250... I'll be using their gear when pigs fly.... 

Maybe I'm off base having always bought every one of the my blanks, reelseats, guides (and everything else) at wholesale... Guess I'm getting crankier as I get older.... Over the years I've built with Lamiglass, Fenwick, Fisher, GatorGlass, Sabre, GLoomis, LCI (Loomis Composites Inc), Rainshadow, PacBay, Sage, Thomas & Thomas - just to name a few - and a few others that also are probably long out of business...

Wonder just how many of those expensive blanks they've sold....
    The last X-Ray blank I bought was $130 shipped after discount, which is their most sensitive.  

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    Any body using MHX blanks with success? I have had 3 of the same blanks all break at the exact same location. Not quite sure what is up with that. I have a few other blanks that had had no issue.
    Those mudhole MHX rods are all made in China. And is precisely why I won't buy any more of them. Down to only one still in use.

These days I prefer made in USA blanks like North Fork Composites by Gary Loomis, and Liberty blanks from Get Bit Outdoors, and the particular RainShadow blanks still made in USA. And Lamiglas.
  • Another Day at The DockAnother Day at The Dock Posts: 141 Deckhand
    I have had the same exact thing happen to me on the 7fters. Probably have broken like 4 of them, but I have 2 6ft or 6'6 ones (cant remember) and they are the strongest non-solid glass blanks I have ever fished.
    Sucks because I like my 6fters but I really don't want to risk 100$ to see if its just coincidence and buy any more of them. 
  • Russ57Russ57 FloridaPosts: 17 Deckhand
    If you liked St. Croix, check at Rodgeeks.  They are made in Mexico.  Only the SC5 line is American made.

I wish they had the SC3 inshore.

Check out the X-comp for party boat/bottom fishing.