31 Contender "Dream Overhaul" begins!

BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,199 Admiral
Sometimes things happen for a reason. My boat was not up for sale, but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, despite my summer vacation plans (with the boss, she was not happy!). She was gone before I had a chance to say goodbye. Within days before I sold, I had received a message that my next dream hull I had mentioned overhauling on social media, a 31 Contender, was going up for sale soon. They had heard my interest in said vessel, and we came to terms very quickly. It was meant to be!

Tony Bossela, a local fishing legend, was the original owner. He heard I had her and had begun restoration, and paid a surprise visit!

First order was to strip the boat completely. I earned a new respect for the Contenders build quality cutting out that console lol! We cut out the floor, and exposed the leaky tanks.

Thanks to a trusty chainfall, the tanks came out without much of a fuss.

The tanks were definitely toast!

After a lot of back and forth with myself, (it actually took weeks), I finally made a decision on the new tanks and ordered a custom 340+ gallon configuration. This will save half the tub in the console, which saves rigging/maintenance ease, while also giving me a huge range. We deleted the fresh tank in the back in favor of the fuel exspansion. Two new 25 gallon fresh tanks in the forward saddle storage extreme will give me both all the fresh water I could want on extended trips, but also offer instant 400lbs of bow ballast, but more on that idea later.

The console restoration began yesterday. The holes have been filled and shes ready to get faired out and primed (ambitious I know) tommorow. 

We recently did the same exact vessel overhaul, and I'm doing the same configuration as I did here, except with a 24" Simrad which is the same dimensions as this Garmin.

After the tanks go in the next couple weeks, the build will be going full blast. After repairs, mods and fairing, the entire vessel will be painted with Alexseal inside and out. The paint scheme is the exact same down to the custom formulas as seen on the world famous "Grander Jarret Bay" yacht.

Updates will be somewhat slow at first, but the build speed will escalate towards fall. We are hoping to be finished by Christmas, though again, that's being very ambitious. Thousands of man hours are ahead of the team in the coming months.

Obviously my Contender isn't the Grander, but I have no shame in copying her exact paints, metal and softsides to the T. 

T,  for "Trinity" that is. Here is the beautiful Grander, for scheme reference.

Tony Eden-
Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
Boattronics.net
Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
904-545-1270

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,137 Officer
    Great stuff Tony!! Look forward to the end product!!
    Jason :USA
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Congratulations to you!  If you can get your dream hull to look anything like the Grander in the photo, it's going to be one hell of a boat.  Looking forward to seeing the progress
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,708 Moderator
    Happy your back. You always inspire.
    larrywitt 
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,199 Admiral
    Thanks yall! Glad to be back!

The original door opened vertically, which I thought was a death trap. We are modifying and reinforcing the door and console to hinge to the side.

Almost faired!

Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • oaksoaks Posts: 105 Deckhand
    Great idea on the door..
    Maybe split the door into 2, top and bottom, so that if you have a cooler sitting on the floor, you can still access the console ( just to grab something small) without having to move it out of the way. Top door will swing over the cooler.
    Just thinking out loud....
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 193 Deckhand
    Great Hull and, with your skills, it should be quite a boat when finished. Looking forward to updates.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • GreymareGreymare North AlabamaPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Awesome! Congrats! Look forward to following the progress! 
    Thanks guys. I'm still tossing around the split door option.

Today she is ready for primer. 

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    edited August 2 #10
    Drove to Ft.Pierce yesterday to get my tanks from TNT Custom Boatworks. I must say they made a great product, with a quicker build time and 25% cheaper than any other quote I got. Over a thousand dollars saved with them was well worth my drive!

Even after driving all day, I couldn't stand it. Had to hoist them up into the boat for a dry fit. 

Gonna epoxy coat them, and then I'll be ready to glass them in. We have an awesome setup planned. All three tanks have two pickups, so all three tanks will be plumed to both engines for ultimate fuel system redundancy. There will be a stainless three way valve at each fuel filter.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Coal tar epoxy coatings under way. Ready for second coat today.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 525 Officer
    Any updates Tony?
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Does that coal tar epoxy dry hard? Or is it soft?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,137 Officer
    SC53 said:
    Any updates Tony?
    Tony spent most of this week looking for the firefighters lost out of port canaveral. Not sure he had time for the project.
    Jason :USA
    edited September 11 #15
    Coal tar dries tough and hard, to a chemical and abrasion resistant finish.

Progress has finally resumed on the Trinity. From here out, it will be full speed ahead. Here you see transom cracks being grinded out and filled with resin and mat.

Moving on, more cracks along the rubrail getting filled, and most of the transom is grinded out.

Now for the livewell mods. The livewell system is good, but we are making it much better. We are installing gemlux adjustable fills and adjustable drains on drain and overflow. This way the tank can be pressurized whether we are running or not, or the water can be instantly adjusted to any level right from the well.

Next, we will attack the stock scuppers. The new Gemlux version has a check ball in it, so no water can enter the deck when backing down, etc.

One of them was impossible to get to, so we cut a hole, installed the new fitting, and glassed the hole back closed.

Fwd bulkhead got glassed up. Gonna need to be strong to hold two 8's and two 12's.

90% of the cracks are history now.

Next we cut out two of the old bulkheads to make space for the larger tanks. The forward bulkhead is now resting in it's new spot, ready to be glassed in.

Next we will glass in the tank standoffs, drop the tanks, and foam them in. Its starting to get exciting!

Also, we are glassing in a pad in the bow for the Rhodan trolling motor. Here is another Contender we recently did to use as a reference. 

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,844 AG
    31 and trolling motor? 
    :BUNNY gestapo

We do 31s on a regular basis. Actually works up to 35 and 36' vessels, but any bigger than 31 and it's only going to be a fair weather anchor. The 31 can easily fish 2-3, maybe a little more, with the 84".

No release date yet, but the 96" is coming last quarter of this year. It's going to satisfy the 35 and 36' customers in bigger seas.

Hell we have the 84" on 37' Freemans. We do more custom Rhodan installs on large vessels than anyone. 
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    I guess. Many don't find bow thrusters on smaller boats embarrassing anymore. 
    To each their own. 

This gives you the ability to instantly anchor dead nuts on your spot, in any depth, and stay dead nuts even with changing conditions. Its the biggest single advantage you could possibly gain bottom fishing, and several other styles too. Plus, we put them on a quick release mount so you can take it on and off in about one minute. Here in Jacksonville, its now weird seeing a Center Console without one!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Yes it is great, you could send me to catch your fish for you too on your boat.  B)
    But what's the fun in having everything done for you?  :p

edited September 13 #21
    Dropped the tanks in and foamed them in today. 

Trimmed up nice, ready to glass them in.

In this pic, you can see the piece of deck we have cut out, that we will make a full opening sized hatch, twice as big as the original. A grown man will easily be able to step down and easily sit in the bilge for maintenance. 

Instead of the stock, two rigging pipe configuration, we are adding a third rigging tube as well.

Tomorrow we glass them in, and prepare fuel lines. Two pickups per tank, so both motors can select any tank on a three way valve, another huge improvement over stock.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    The grander has always been my favorite yacht, so we are following the scheme exactly. Ordered the paint today, the exact custom mixtures of Alex seal mixed in Germany. Hull and cap are the two colors here. All metal powdercoated black, only cheating on the real teak deck. Instead it will be faux teak Seadek.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Glassed tanks in this morning. Ready for hoses, sending and bonding wires.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,155 AG
    That thing is going to be a tank.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,708 Moderator
    Coal tar dries tough and hard, to a chemical and abrasion resistant finish.

Progress has finally resumed on the Trinity. From here out, it will be full speed ahead. Here you see transom cracks being grinded out and filled with resin and mat.

Moving on, more cracks along the rubrail getting filled, and most of the transom is grinded out.

Now for the livewell mods. The livewell system is good, but we are making it much better. We are installing gemlux adjustable fills and adjustable drains on drain and overflow. This way the tank can be pressurized whether we are running or not, or the water can be instantly adjusted to any level right from the well.

Next, we will attack the stock scuppers. The new Gemlux version has a check ball in it, so no water can enter the deck when backing down, etc.

One of them was impossible to get to, so we cut a hole, installed the new fitting, and glassed the hole back closed.

Fwd bulkhead got glassed up. Gonna need to be strong to hold two 8's and two 12's.

90% of the cracks are history now.

Next we cut out two of the old bulkheads to make space for the larger tanks. The forward bulkhead is now resting in it's new spot, ready to be glassed in.

Next we will glass in the tank standoffs, drop the tanks, and foam them in. Its starting to get exciting!

Also, we are glassing in a pad in the bow for the Rhodan trolling motor. Here is another Contender we recently did to use as a reference. 

I am with you on the  Rhodan I have one on my boat . When in 80 to a 100 plus of water you hit the anchor mode and it locks right on, no resetting the anchor and with 100 to 200 ft. of rope out over and over, as current and winds change.
    larrywitt
    Foaming the tanks in.

Trimmed up nice

Here, you can see the piece of deck we cut off that contained the small deck hatch. It will now be the size of the whole piece, the full size of the opening so a large grown man can easily get in and out for service. 

Now the tanks are foamed and then glassed to completely seal the compartment. 

We thought we were doing something original.... we cut and glassed channels between the stringers, and also forward and aft, that any moisture can easily drain off. Then I found out later today Contender is actually doing this now on their latest models. 

Next it was time to do plumbing for all wiring below decks. The senders, bonding tabs and all their connections were completely sealed. We also put in an extra rigging tube. Installation and later, service, will be a breeze on this boat.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,136 Officer
    Great work Tony.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Thanks!

Deck going in...

Rhodan pad getting glassed in and double sized bilge hatch nearing completion....

Deck seams grounded  showing rock solid connections....

Anchor holder being sized and glassed in with shelf to protect speakers below...

Aforementioned speaker holes cut...

Hatch restoration nearing completion....

The console tub is complete and ready to go in.

Final sanding and spot priming has begun.

The boxes that allow plumbing to the forward ballast/fresh tanks have been glassed in.

At this point, we had 3 coats of primer on her.

Next, we black bombed it to show the tiniest imperfections. Then blocked and sanded, blocked and sanded some more.

I also gel coated the bilge. You might notice 6 a1 fuel lines ready to go to 4 way selector valves for each engine. Any tank can feed any engine, 4th port is for an optional bladder with lines and quick connects ran to the bow.

Next.... finally..... PAINT! Notice how all the pics look like a different color, just depending on how the light hits her. Anything from black, to medium grey, to even shiny silver.

I've also begun networking with other 31 Contender/ 300 4.2 Yamaha owners for prop selection. Please chime in, I've added several more data points since I took this pic.

Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270