Clay pigeon shooting in St. Johns River

BlueMarlin1010BlueMarlin1010 GreenhornPosts: 8 Greenhorn
Officer Coker,

While boating this weekend in the St. Johns River between Palatka and the Shands Bridge, I wondered if it is legal to shoot biodegradable White Flyer clay pigeons over the river.....using steel shot, of course. There are several areas in our region that fall within the rules for duck hunting, and may be appropriate for such activity. 

Anyhow, I wanted to ask if this is a lawful or unlawful activity. 

Thank you for your service!

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Admiral Posts: 8,901 Admiral
    edited September 9 #2
    They don't answer legal questions for fear of being wrong.  

Of course, their confident enough in the field to lock you up and seize your gear.  But internetting?  Their lawyers advise against. 
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • BlueMarlin1010BlueMarlin1010 Greenhorn Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    10-4. Thank you MRichardson. 

Guess I'll stick to shooting at the sporting clay clubs.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Admiral Posts: 7,211 Admiral
    I could be wrong but Agent Coker is NOAA, you might find what you need by contacting 
    https://flfwc.mycusthelp.com/webapp/_rs/(S(ij25cc4g5g33yuttxcfv4p4s))/RequestOpenCI.aspx?sSessionID=&rqst=3
  • conchydongconchydong Captain Pompano BeachPosts: 4,961 Captain
    edited September 9 #5
    Good luck getting anyone from the FWC to come here and put any interpretation of the law on the internet. Never seen it happen. They are monitoring  the fishing forums though. Don't post a picture of a 11.999" Yellowtail.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Send them an email they will respond, it might take a few days but they do
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Admiral Posts: 8,901 Admiral
    edited September 10 #7
    I sent them an email once asking about the legality of shooting a bigfoot while turkey hunting. They replied promptly, stating that since it was not listed as a game species, it would be frowned upon. 
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Did you tell them you felt threatened? 
  • BlueMarlin1010BlueMarlin1010 Greenhorn Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thank you all. I spoke with a person / officer at the "local" office. She asked if I intended on collecting all of the pieces from the biodegradable clay pigeons I shot....which my reply was no. She then said if I didn't pick up all of the pieces, the activity would be illegal.

I mentioned there are several sporting clay facilities (licensed businesses) that shoot over water, and even marshes on the ICW. I think they make an effort to collect pieces, but its impossible to collect them all. She seemed perplexed, but stayed committed to it be illegal. 

At this point, I think it would be up to the interpretation of the officer. Regardless, I'm not sure its worth the fun. I'll stick to shooting at my local club. 

Thanks again to everyone who took time to read my post and post a reply. 

Cheers to tight lines and no bigfoots.