Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Going way back up in Hells Bay

My buddy is taking me "way back up" in the Hells Bay tomorrow in his square back canoe.  We are going up there mostly just to explore but we will be taking our fishing rods and some shrimp.  We were back up in Hells Bay two years ago in early spring and we had some good fishing in the morning.  Now with all this rain we've had for past few weeks will the fishing be bust due to all the fresh water flowing down from Everglades?  Will all the salt water fish go back down into Whitewater Bay and fresh water fish come down from Everglades?  What kind of fish can we expect to find back up there now?

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 471 Deckhand
    I'm sure you will still be able to find baby tarpon and snook back there this time of year and you may even get some freshwater species like bass and cichlids. Curious to hear the report so don't forget to post :) 
  • angelangel Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    You will find some mosquito's as well.  
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,289 Moderator
    This time of year, especially with all the rain, you will find mosquito's.  Wear a bug suit.
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 541 Officer
    Only one way to know what's really back there.  Looking forward to hearing the report.   :)
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 265 Deckhand
    We had to delay the trip as we both had to work overtime on Tuesday night and didn't get home until 4:00AM.
    We plan to go next Wedesday morning.  We are prepared for mosquitos with DEET spray, pyrethrin treated clothes, thermacell and bug suit.       
    We finally got out there early yesterday morning.  There were a lot of mesquites everywhere until the sun came up but then we got some drizzle and mesquitos backed off.  I'm not sure how far up we had went but it was pretty far back.  We powered around and got lost for a while and then found our way again.  We got some heavy rain 2 times as day went by.  We were back at the dock by noon.  I tried fishing at couple places but didn't catch anything.  We did see two small snooks at one creek and a needlefish at one creek mouth.  There were ripples on the surface but I don't know what kind of fish they were.  
    Overall it was a good day for us as we got to run around and explore new places...beats working in the office.       
  • JWTJWT Posts: 780 Officer
    beats the office any day but it is tough up there this time of year...... a much better trip once it cools.......& the fish will move up in there in good numbers most years & good surface action with the snooklets.
    JWT said:
    beats the office any day but it is tough up there this time of year...... a much better trip once it cools.......& the fish will move up in there in good numbers most years & good surface action with the snooklets.

We plan to go back in early December.

• tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 296 Deckhand
    I used to fish the bigger bays nearer to and along the north side of Whitewater Bay from about the mouth of Normans(?) River up to Watson River. This time of year I would go into one bay and see nothing but I'd usually find at least one bay that was pretty fishy, specially after a thunderstorm. I fished a couple of bays off the Roberts and Lane Rivers and in or near Hells Bay also. Same thing as Whitewater - one bay might be holding fish, another basically nothing. I also fished a couple of places in the north part of Whitewater that held adult tarpon, at least until a really big rain would come, then they moved out to the gulf.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,424 Captain
    All of those upper bays - and the ones from Noman's River up through Hell's and back into Pearl fish quite a bit alike - feast or famine...  Matter of fact I learned some time back to stop, shut down and just listen before going way back up inside... If I didn't hear anything going on that meant that it was probably a good idea not to waste our time.... When they're on you can hear fish popping, bait and birds splashing, etc.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 296 Deckhand
    Or just see a nice wake or two. BTW Bob, I didn't mention where I found adult tarpon because you might be fishing them while you're guiding. B)
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,424 Captain
    The entire interior of the 'glades is just a treat since you never know what you might pole up on... This time of year most of the fish are along the coast - but not all of them....  Once the water temps start to drop in October we'll start expecting to find more and more up inside.... Wherever you find them tarpon follow water temps (and the moment it drops below a certain comfort level - they disappear back into the Gulf...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666