Bahamas

We'll be crossing to green turtle key Saturday morning anyone else Crossing

Replies

• JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 217 Deckhand
    edited September 6 #3
    Lots of boats crossing Saturday.  Friend went to OBB today and said 5 other boats there, no issues with debris in water and all was calm. 

Once on shelf past west end I'd be very careful of shifting sands, debris etc.  I commend that you are helping out but also question whether $700+ in fuel costs could be better utilized by other aid groups.  Not trying to crap on your trip, just something I've been thinking about. 

Good luck and safe journey!  Hopefully Cooperstown and other less touristy destinations get a handle on security and additional drop off points added in near future. 
    Jupiter 29FS
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 544 Officer
    we have friends and fam there thats why we are going
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 478 Deckhand
    edited September 7 #5
    My church has partnered with Banyan Air (Christian owned) and we're collecting donations on behalf of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Commonwealth of The Bahamas.

Message me with any items you care to donate!
    Items must be received by Friday, September 13th.

https://www.crpc.org/dorian 

Items Needed:
    Tents (20-30 man tents)
    Cots (Adult Size)
    Hygiene Kits (diapers, baby wipes, sanitary napkins, deodorant, toothpaste, soap, baby formula)
    Potable/Purified Water
    Non-Perishable Food Items
    Water Bladders
    Water Containers (3 Gallons)
    First Aid Items (Sterile Bandages/Gauze (all sizes), Tape)
    Portable Generators (15kw to 25kw)
    Chain Saws
    Plastic Tarp
    Debris Removal Tools (Shovels, Rakes, Axes, Wheelbarrows)
    Portable Single and Double Burner Stoves
    Portable Outdoor Lamps/Lights
    Water Purification Kits
    Flashlights
    Blankets
    Insect Repellents
    Portable Radios
    Batteries
    Portable Potty
    Cleaning Supplies/Disinfectants (Bleach, Brooms, Mops, Pine-Sol, Garbage Bags)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,193 AG
    Looks good Coastal........ I've visited that church and know about Banyan at FXE. Had a nice lunch there too.....

I donated yesterday through The Stuart Sailfish Club and targeted my $$ towards fuel for the Black Hawk helicopter that has been flying supplies over.....

https://www.facebook.com/StuartSailfishClub/
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 478 Deckhand
    Gary M said:
    Looks good Coastal........ I've visited that church and know about Banyan at FXE. Had a nice lunch there too.....

I donated yesterday through The Stuart Sailfish Club and targeted my $$ towards fuel for the Black Hawk helicopter that has been flying supplies over.....

https://www.facebook.com/StuartSailfishClub/
    EXCELLENT!  :)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• avmechavmech Posts: 1,357 Officer
    edited September 7 #8
    Dropped a bunch of goods off at Fishing Headquarters this morning. 

Next will be Missionary Flights for fuel when they start flying into Marsh
    Member #10822
     a few photos from green turtle 
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,833 Captain
    Frydaddy hope family and friends were good.
    It's a miracle but everybody on green turtle was accounted for and is safe. There's lots of love coming from the states that is lifting their spirits and giving them hope!!!

• P91473P91473 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    That looks very sad. How did Bluff House fair?
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,193 AG
    Took me some time, but you will have to wade through these many, but very good photos to hopefully find Bluff House...... Kalik to enlarge them

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOQKDLpZKOdRI1YOYaHpZgOkkSXBxx1eu1acJUaa8bul1nPnbjWOtNrWdwYpbhxgw?key=cm5LMUtNd1hwam9qQ1QxelhzbGdwUlk2Wmd2Ykln
  • ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,835 Captain
    Thank goodness a few people ignored "official" warnings to stay away. There are desperate people on Abaco who needed help yesterday, or actually a week ago, and staging supplies in Nassau does them very little good compared to dropping them off in the Abacos today.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,976 Captain
    My ancestors were Abaconians ( Green Turtle Key) before they migrated to Key West in the 1800's so I have a special place in my heart for that Key. My mom's side were Lowes and 1/2 of my dad's side were Pinders from GTC  the other half of my dad's side came from New Providence. Thanks to all that have helped with this disaster.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

we never made it over to the bluff house
  • JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 217 Deckhand
    Frydaddy said:
    It's a miracle but everybody on green turtle was accounted for and is safe. There's lots of love coming from the states that is lifting their spirits and giving them hope!!!

Thanks for taking the time and going over.  Once the rebuild starts we'll all be over there helping jumpstart the economy.  I've verbally booked a place summer of 2021 but hopefully they recover before then. Maybe the extra wood can be used to re-build the boxing ring across from Miss Emily's.  I'm not a basketball player :)
    Jupiter 29FS