Home Off Topic

America at war...

bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain

Hope this is legal, I think the topic would be economics and trade.

The inside story of the gamble to confront China over trade. Reporting from the U.S. and China, FRONTLINE and NPR investigate what led the world’s two largest economies to the brink, and the billions at stake.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,250 AG
    Trade wars are easy to win, right?
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 6,466 Admiral
    Choke the Chinese until the turn purple 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Pinellas County Posts: 953 Officer
    He shouldnt have said easy, necessary would have been better.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,651 AG
    Haven't we been going purple for decades? 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,674 Admiral
    Someone has to stand up and stop the Chinese, even if it hurts in the short term. It would only get worse. Funny how some love taxes but don't want to pay a little extra due to tariffs.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 37,005 AG
    Why do they need to stand up to them? What will get worse? What is going to happen?

We were happy buying their crap cheap and they were happy selling it .

How did China become the enemy in 2 years? They had Most Favored Nation status until then.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,234 Admiral
    One good thing...We'll never go to War with them..They own too much American Real Estate...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,081 Admiral
    Never happen.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 14,402 AG
    I think it’s sweet they can afford to build military bases on islands they built with Americans money.
      What could possibly go wrong? I mean, they love personal freedoms and private property rights, right?
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 1,338 Officer
    They're gluttons for bondage.

Never happen.
    Of course we can. China has 4 times the population of the US yet only produce 60% of what we do. They're a propped up third world communist country. We could absolutely run them in the ground. They're hoping they can hold out and save face until 2020 to see if a weakling gets elected.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I guess patent infringement, Currency manipulation, Industrial espionage, and all the other complaints that have been leveled at the Chicoms over the past 3 decades were just hot air?
     And by the way dragon bait, you might want to learn a little about military construction spending. ;)
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 1,338 Officer
    China has been our enemy ever since they sent millions of unwilling barefoot farmers over the 38th parallel in the middle of the winter.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,320 Captain
    One good thing...We'll never go to War with them..They own too much American Real Estate...
    That might be a motive for war for our part. Their holdings would be liquidated overnight in case of a major war. And any debts we owe them would be instantly meaningless. 

For their part, no economic benefit they have from us would outweigh the ideological satisfaction for them to take over Taiwan and the South China Sea. That's why the rational actor analysis often fails. What's considered "rational" is equated in economics and doesn't take ideology or pride into account. Sometimes nations simply want to go to war because they want to have the satisfaction of winning and gain territory and/or prestige, not because war makes economic sense. 

We will be fighting a major war with them. Its just a matter of when. It looks like we'll probably let them decide when they're ready and let them strike first. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,320 Captain
    cadman said:
    Why do they need to stand up to them? What will get worse? What is going to happen?

We were happy buying their crap cheap and they were happy selling it .

How did China become the enemy in 2 years? They had Most Favored Nation status until then.

To my mind, its really about making industry return to America and leave China. 

If and when a major war happens, we won't have the industrial capacity to replace our equipment losses as we had in WWII. Imagine if our industrial base in WWII was located in Germany instead of the US prior to the outbreak of the war. That's how it will be with China. 

I don't really give a hoot about the economy and China's role in it. I care about the fact that China is leaner and stronger than we are and they're hungry to displace us as the dominant world power. They can and will beat us, and they know it. I don't want to see them continue to let their people come here and steal our technological secrets and make a military that's better than ours funded by the money they're making off of us. 

In other words, I'm tired of buying butter off the Chinese to fund their guns. 
    Industry won't return to America. It will just move to another country in that region like India or Vietnam. Then we will make them the enemy. 

It is silly to think this trade war is going to bring industry back to the U.S..

Our total trade deficit has increased since the trade war started. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Also, much like if our economy collapses, it will take the world with it. The same is true for China. Their economy collapses we will have a major recession worldwide. You really don't want that to happen.

Mini Mart Magnate

• flagoldflagold AbbevillePosts: 619 Officer
    The bottom line is this - anytime we buy foreign manufactured goods (even if made in a factory in our country (disguised benefit) this is what happens: the profits go to build that country's roads, schools, factories, social infrastructure, and fund their way of life - not ours.

Some are just fine with the above.
    Zebco 33 Buyer's Guide: https://youtu.be/Tg917tVFrM8
    Largemouth Spawning: https://youtu.be/rRoyYnkf8V4
    Daytona Rig: Any Depth Water Snag Free: https://youtu.be/eCruAntyeW4
    Rebuild Grandpa's Zebco: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
    Bomb Holes, Wrecks, Reefs How To ID & GPS: https://youtu.be/b5ljdWyLR5I
    Fish Attractor That Works: https://youtu.be/ushkhZUxUWg 
    Big Sheepshead With Snails: https://youtu.be/gqE0az7WqH4
    cadman said:
    Industry won't return to America.

It's just not true. It's already happening in a big way. Put your political beliefs aside and root for the USA for a change
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,319 Captain
    Politics............
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
    sailfish2 said:
    Politics............
    It’s sad that politicians have successfully divided Americans  politically , racially and by class. 
        But that’s how to conquer a great country. Their handlers are proud.
    edited September 2019 #24
    By the way, I have been really busy blocking the social security calls telling me they are suspending my account unless I get back to them soon.
       My call filtering app says the social security administration has apparently decided that calling from mainland China works better for them.
      Or it could be they moved all their offices there?
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,723 Captain
    dave44 said:
    By the way, I have been really busy blocking the social security calls telling me they are suspending my account unless I get back to them soon.
       My call filtering app says the social security administration has apparently decided that calling from mainland China works better for them.
      Or it could be they moved all their offices there?
    my wife has been getting them too.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    Seems like the Chinese have already started the attack.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    cadman said:
    Industry won't return to America. It will just move to another country in that region like India or Vietnam. Then we will make them the enemy. 

It is silly to think this trade war is going to bring industry back to the U.S..

Our total trade deficit has increased since the trade war started. 

What industry are you referring to?
     Spatulas and computers and their components can be manufactured and assembled anywhere. 
     Airliners, heavy equipment, tooling and a number of other technical products, not so much. 
    I guess patent infringement, Currency manipulation, Industrial espionage, and all the other complaints that have been leveled at the Chicoms over the past 3 decades were just hot air?
     And by the way dragon bait, you might want to learn a little about military construction spending. ;)
    So all the Mexico will pay for it rhetoric was what? Fake News?
    Who cares who pays for it? The safety and security of our country comes first. 
    Of course I’m sure you disagree with that. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    edited September 2019 #29
    It wasn't.  Mexico will pay for it in much the same manner as smokers paid for the tobacco lawsuits in the early 2000s.
    No, they didn't write the check, but they **** sure paid for it and still are.

That is, if it even happens.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    I can see that not many watched the Frontline report.

So many erroneous knee jerk "feelings" with few facts. Fake "feelings" if you will.

U.S. factory production is pretty high, job loss is largely due to mechanization and technology.

Read this as well.

• sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,319 Captain
    You see what you want to see, just like everyone else.

Some just try to spread their fertilizer further than others.
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!